PDA

View Full Version : Ice Nets, using gill nets under the ice

Sourdough
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I have posted about this method of fishing on this forum every winter. However there is a wonderful step by step tutorial, with good photos, over at: www.alaskaoutdoorsforum.com the thread title is: "Ice Nets". Maybe Doug or Poco can snag it over here. I used a slight variation of this method when I homesteaded on Lake Clark. It is so wonderful that these skills are being taught to the youth of bush communities. I remain steadfast in my conviction that fish are the key to survival if TSHTF.:)

2dumb2kwit
11-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Here's a link, to the thread.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=67400

Sourdough
11-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you........:)

Rick
11-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks, Sourdough, for the link. Good read.

Winnie
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't believe it, I was watching Ray Mears earlier and there was a peice about this style of fishing. I'm not likely to use this method(no ice!) but it was interesting nevertheless.
I'm with you Sourdough, fish is a very underrated food.

Rick
11-15-2009, 07:37 PM
It will be interesting to see what catfish has to say. I know the only ice he has is in the freezer but I'll bet he has some ideas on the nets.

Sourdough
11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm with you Sourdough, fish is a very underrated food.

The nice thing about fish is that you can keep the excess fish alive for tomorrow, hard too keep 1/2 of a deer alive for tomorrow, or the other half spoils.

Winnie
11-15-2009, 07:54 PM
The nice thing about fish is that you can keep the excess fish alive for tomorrow, hard too keep 1/2 of a deer alive for tomorrow, or the other half spoils.

Never tought of it quite like that, but you're right! unless it's a tin of sardines:blushing: but then there probably wouldn't be any left for tomorrow anyway.....

Survival Guy 10
11-15-2009, 08:24 PM
how do you keep half of a fish alive

Rick
11-15-2009, 08:35 PM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/homer_doh.jpg

Camp10
11-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I watched a program years ago about the inuit people and fishing. They used a "sled" that would run under the ice. It had a pick on it that would dig into the ice and pull itself along when they pulled a rope. When they got it out to the distance they wanted (another person would follow it by sound on top of the ice) they would cut another hole in the ice and retrieve the sled. They would then use the rope to set their hook line. It was pretty interesting..

klkak
11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I helped some Eskimos set a net in a frozen lake. They used an ice auger and a chain saw. They augered two holes the length of the net apart from each other then the chain saw to cut from one hole to the other. The dropped a lead line through the cut and plugged the holes. The next day they went out and used the lead line to pull the net from one hole under the ice to the other hole. It took three guys a total of about 30 minutes of working to do this.

Sourdough
11-17-2009, 10:35 PM
I helped some Eskimos set a net in a frozen lake. They used an ice auger and a chain saw. They augered two holes the length of the net apart from each other then the chain saw to cut from one hole to the other. The dropped a lead line through the cut and plugged the holes.

This is the method that I used, out at Lake Clark. I just covered the two holes with spruce broughs, and snow. My screw-up was that after three weeks the net froze in the ice, and was useless till next spring.

klkak
11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
This is the method that I used, out at Lake Clark. I just covered the two holes with spruce broughs, and snow. My screw-up was that after three weeks the net froze in the ice, and was useless till next spring.

The Natives I helped only left it down over night then moved it. They caught some of the biggest trout I've ever seen and the only burbut I've ever seen.

Sourdough
11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
The Natives I helped only left it down over night then moved it. They caught some of the bigest trout I've ever seen and the only burbut I've ever seen.

I only left it over night, each night for three weeks. I did not move it. Then Flew into Los Anchorage for two nights, and that was the end of that.

klkak
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
I only left it over night, each night for three weeks. I did not move it. Then Flew into Los Anchorage for two nights, and that was the end of that.

Did you learn anything from that whole experience?

Sourdough
11-18-2009, 12:56 AM
Did you learn anything from that whole experience?

Yes, a) It was a two person job, Not a one person job. b) the net well freeze & bunch up when out of the water. c) Don't go to town. d) that one large Lake Trout will last me for days. e) for just me about 6' of net would have been perfect, not 60'. f) Grayling taste gooder than Pike or Lake Trout.