PDA

View Full Version : Need Rain Hat Recommendation

sjj
11-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Any suggestions for a rain hat? Many thanks.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
11-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Google "cowboy unbrella" the reasons it is better than a hood...

It keeps ran from going down your neck in the front.
It improves field of vision and improves your mobility.

Beo
11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Modern hiking and camping or just when I'm out running around in the woods I wear a military boony hat, for a rain hat I took one and soaked it (applying by hand) in Sno Seal, every year I reapply the Sno Seal. It works great and keeps the rain out.
Beo,

COWBOYSURVIVAL
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
http://search.sheplers.com/search?w=rain%20cover

Here ya go!

Beo
11-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Ahhhh I see, here us cops call them a hat condom.

crashdive123
11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm with Beo on this one. For hiking I prefer a Boonie hat. While the ones I currently use are miltary issue/style, if I was in an environment that was wetter than I am now, I would probably go with a gortex (or some other waterproof material) Boonie. I haven't tried water proofing mine as Beo as done, but I like that idea. The advantages of the Boonie IMO it gives great sun protection all the way around, keeps the rain out of your face fairly well, rolls up small, is durable. There Boonie style hats (the gortex ones I've seen) that are a bit over sized that would probably do a better job of keeping rain from running down your back collar.

Rick
11-15-2009, 08:35 AM
My rain jacket has a hood and that's all I use unless it's a really cold rain then I will add a skull or beanie cap (watch cap?) just to keep my ears warm. I'm not much on hats in general but do prefer a boonie especially if the sun is bearing down.

ClayPick
11-15-2009, 10:28 AM
A sou'wester works good in a deluge.

Swamprat1958
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I have a Gore-Tex boonie hat that works pretty good, but the old tin cloth Filson has held up well for almost 20 years. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/filson/tin-cloth-packer-hat/. The only problem with it is that it doesn't "breathe" well and can be a little bit warm. If it ever starts to leak you just add more wax to it and put it in the oven at about 120 degrees and it will be good to go for another five or six years.

hoosierarcher
11-22-2009, 01:12 AM
I;ve had my Filson packer for at least 20 years. I love it; but as said it can be warm.

Eu_citzen
11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
I use a Barmah hat, in the crocodile range. (1033JC outback model)

Keeps sun and rain off. Even keeps the glasses dry. :sailor:
Wear it almost daily during summer.
Comfortable when its not to cold.

klkak
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Any suggestions other than cowboy hats?

This is the hat I wear when its raining. It is made by the "Outback Trading Company". It is made of 100% cotton that is treated with some type of wax that makes it totally water proof.

Arkansas_Ranger
12-07-2009, 03:38 AM
My rain jacket has a hood and that's all I use unless it's a really cold rain then I will add a skull or beanie cap (watch cap?) just to keep my ears warm. I'm not much on hats in general but do prefer a boonie especially if the sun is bearing down.

Finally! Another non-hatter.