PDA

View Full Version : Bannock

HOP
11-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Who makes bannock in the bush in a frying pan and with a fire.
Me my favorite recipe is with sour dough starter but can get a litle fancy with fruit and nuts. or one with meat and cheese in it. Make at days end and save some for breakfast or lunch.

Beo
11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I've had them we call'em flat cakes or johnny cakes.

HOP
11-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Banock is a loaf of bread that you bake on the fire with the pan tilted so the heat can hit the top as well.

FVR
11-07-2007, 08:26 PM
I make hardtack.

Sarge47
11-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Try this:

Here is a recipe for "Basic Bannock" from the book Trail Food by Alan Kesselheim. It is a bread but made in a skillet.

1/2 C white flour
1/2 C wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons powdered milk

Add water a little at a time till dough is sticky.
Divide into 4 balls and flatten and heat in a lightly oiled skillet
till done.

I have 12 pages of recipes for bannock.

I have a back pack dutch oven, I constructed from a camping set I have. I bake bread and cake out in the wilds as often as I can. I have also done a pumpkin pie once. Campmore offers a 5 piece Sierra Gook Set that works well for baking. That is for one or two persons. The inner pot is a 3 cup and the oven part is a 6 cup.

If you pre mix at home. Bread is one of the easiest things to make over am open fire or camp stove.

www.MiniBull.com (Tiny) has a video on his sight that you can download. It shows how to bake bread on an alcohol stove. This would work for most any heat source you have.

Don

I'd like to see how you made that "dutch oven". What do you think about a thread for favorite recipes? I'm curious about FVR's "Hardtack".

Beo
11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
i like the recipe thread.

Sarge47
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
i like the recipe thread.

One recipe thread comin' up!

dilligaf2u2
11-08-2007, 01:52 AM
I'll take pics and post them on Bubbleshare this weekend. I'll post the ULR to it for you guys.

It is a nice set up. Campmore offers a Sierra 5 piece cook set. The pot lids are flat. I have a strainer from a greese pot I turn upside down for a spacer. The little 3 cup pot fits in this and into the 6 cup pot for carry. I also have a good heavy aluinum wind screen in the large pot.

I drilled one small hole in the large pot top, near the edge. I can fit a thermostat down in this, so I can watch the heat in the oven. All of this fits in a stocking cap in my pack.

I have used a Bannock recipy with candied fruits, I snuck for the wifes baking good!(Don't tell her! Ok?) I had a great fruit cake out in the wilds for a treat for someone I met(on the trail) and myself last December.

I baked TGF a cake for her B-day this last September. We were 50 miles from everywhere. I even made frosting for it.

Don

trax
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
make the dough thick enough and you can cook it on a forked stick (smaller portions) cast iron frying pan is best though. Tilt it about 30 degrees angle and keep turning it, keep it a few inches back from the fire.