PDA

View Full Version : Hand Powered Chain Saws - SAVE A BUCK

sjj
11-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Any opinions?

Pict
11-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the head's up.

I have the "Pocket Chain Saw" but have to admit I've never used it. Truth be told I don't even know where it came from.

I've been sorting through my pile of gear now that I'm back in Brazil and re-assembling several kits and I plan to include the saw in my car kit. I figure it might come in handy someday to clear a road.

Still, $1.99 for a flexible chain saw blade is dirt cheap.

Mac

oldsoldier
11-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Some time ago I posted a link to a fire starter "kit" It had a blast match, a couple of fire cubes, a howler whistle, signal mirror and a pocket chainsaw. I have used/tested all of them and I like them. The price of the kit was around $56.00 i think. I was surprised at how well the pocket chain saw worked. I haven't tried the others but for the price I may order a couple of each to give as gifts, and maybe a couple for me as well. Thanks for the link and the info.

Went back and looked at the links the sabre cut "kit" looks like the one I've got.

Ole WV Coot
11-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Reminds me about an old guy up North who bought his first chain saw, cut two cords of wood and took it back. Told the clerk it didn't work that well. When the clerk started the saw to check it the old guy hollered "WHAT'S THAT NOISE???"

tsitenha
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Being rather cautious,
Is it a good idea?
To wrap a chain saw blade on a tree trunk/limb...
Standing on the opposite side and grabing both ends tightly and...
Start pulling the 2 directional cutting blade one side to the other...
Till I get through the wood/stump/limb...
Now wanting to drop the tree opposite the side I am standing on...
I am still "tied" to the tree waiting for the chain saw blade too finish its cut in the tree...

Has now one heard of "backlash", "being butt stroked" (hey carefull fellas)...
From the tree butt kicking back on the side that you would be standing on...

The first thing I learnt is too have a clear path of exit for my butt in case this very thing would happen using a swede, or motorised saw...
Being attached to the tree would seem a very bad idea, just in the odds of it happening...
Just me thinking

Stony
11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
i just do not see the value in a pocket chain saw.
i have a few folding saws, swede saws and of course real chainsaws.

after watching Les Stroud (?spell) break his in a few seconds i feel justified in my critic.

crashdive123
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
It probably should be noted that Les broke one of those hand opereated wire saws, not hand operated chainsaws.

Rick
11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
I have a similar device for reaching very high limbs. It's basically a chain saw chain with very long rope handles. It's a pain in the ... uh .... shoulders to use. It does the job but it takes forever.

hoosierarcher
11-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I bought my first pocket chain saw several years ago. I got a great deal on it on eBay actually. Paid less than 12 bucks shipped. I thought it was a gimmicky thing; but thought I should try it before judging it. Well it worked a treat. The first one I got came was NIB and came in a tin a little smaller than a snuff can. It rode in the pocket ok but I chose to carry it on my belt in a snuff can holster. I got one in the cordura nylon pouch from a friend last year and that rides in my cargo pocket just fine. I also have a Sawvivor 18" collaspible saw and it requires a fairly big day pack to carry afield.
I prefer sawing to chopping to taking wood down to fire ring size and for building shelters.
Thanks for the heads up on the Gerber replacement blades. I'll order on to compare it to the PCS.

hoosierarcher
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I inquired about that plastic knob and the answer was as I had logically figured. It's plastic so that users don't over tighten or use tools instead of fingers.
I bought the 18" because I'm big with long arms(my forearms are 18") and I like that length of cut. I also bought it because I got myself a great deal on eBay. Free shipping, lower than locally available price as Buy it now.