PDA

View Full Version : Pesky pigeons

klkak
11-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a problem with pigeons in my back yard. There are hundreds of them. I started out using my .22lr to snipe them off the power line where they roost during the day. Somebody called the police. The officer who came to my house decided to give me some advice instead of a ticket. He suggested I buy a high powered air gun and only snipe the pigeons during the day when everyone else is at work. After some shopping around I bought a Gamo Whisper .177 cal. pellet rifle.

I set up a blind behind my house and measured the distance from the blind to the roost at 66 ft. I then sighted the scoped rifle dead on at that range. I went out to my blind this morning for the first attempt at the pigeons with this new gun. I fired 5 shots and dropped 5 pigeons. All head shots.

Looks like I'll have plenty of trapping bait this winter.
http://www.gamousa.com/images/rifles/detail_whisper.jpg

Rick
11-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Trapping bait?! What's wrong with eating them? Also, be careful handling them. They are prone to lice and mites.

http://www.pigeonvitality.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=86

oldsoldier
11-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Nice rifle..

klkak
11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the caution Rick. I'm hanging them on the side of the shed for a couple days before I cut them into bait. I'm also using nitril glove when handling them, it keeps the human scent off of them and protects me.

Sourdough
11-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Kevin, how much for the rifle, is it a scope package.......?

klkak
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Kevin, how much for the rifle, is it a scope package.......?

It is a scoped package and cost was $269.00 at Sports Authority. I'm using 9.5 gr. flat nose RWS pellets

2dumb2kwit
11-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Trapping bait?! What's wrong with eating them? Also, be careful handling them. They are prone to lice and mites.

http://www.pigeonvitality.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=86

Yeah, I think that in most parts of the world, pigeons are concidered a delica.....deliku......dilecas.......good eatin'!:lol:

Sourdough
11-07-2009, 08:59 PM
A lot of people don't know this about those air rifles, but: The recoil small as it is, is so SHARP that it will damage a high power rifle scope that will absorb the recoil of an elephant gun.

2dumb2kwit
11-07-2009, 09:07 PM
A lot of people don't know this about those air rifles, but: The recoil small as it is, is so SHARP that it will damage a high power rifle scope that will absorb the recoil of an elephant gun.

That's why I was asking Rick, about the one he was putting on his air rifle, the other day. I didn't want anyone to kill a good scope. LOL

Sourdough
11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
That's why I was asking Rick, about the one he was putting on his air rifle, the other day. I didn't want anyone to kill a good scope. LOL

Yea, about the first 5 times I heard about that......I said: "BULL'SPIT".

rwc1969
11-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I've ate pigeon. it was pretty good. like dove only bigger if I remember correctly.

I have a hard time keeping my scope mount from moving on my GAMO. Had to put some white out where it meets the base so if it moves I know and can reset/ retighten it.:sneaky2:

chiggersngrits
11-07-2009, 10:31 PM
A buddy of mine was looking at getting one of those setups. Its legal to hunt some small game animals, birds and nongame critters in Alabama with an air powered rifle. But because that model has that muzzle/silencer thingy barrel would it be considered a suppressed weapon and be illegal to hunt with?

Pict
11-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Air rifle recoil is very different than rifle recoil. A rifle recoils straight back. A spring piston air rifle recoils backwards at first then snaps forward as the spring completes its travel. Its the spike that occurs between the rearward movement and the forward that destroys ordinary rifle scopes. It's like the rifle internally slams on the brakes really hard during recoil, a motion that rifle scopes are not designed to deal with. There are also other back and forth vibrations as the spring comes to rest.

This difference also teaches proper follow through during recoil making air rifle practice excellent for shooting firearms. I practice with an air rifle here in Brazil and notice that my rifle skills don't diminish at all when I get back home to my "real" guns.

Good shooting BTW, 66 yard head shots are to be respected.

Mac

TomChemEngineer
11-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, pigeons have been raised in rooftop cages in metro areas for longer than we have been alive. Chefs call them "Squab", and there are a gazillion recipes for them...some are here:
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=pigeon
I've not tried them, but if I had a lot of them around and a nice air rifle, I would become an expert in Squab preparation!

SARKY
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I like the Gamos, Had a Gamatic (kind of a bullpup design). I killed more than 177 pigeons that were roosting in our hanger and pooping on our planes. The last straw was as I was walking across the hanger deck with my morning coffee, a damm pigeon dropped a load right into my coffee cup (and i was a moving target)

Rick
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Here's the one I picked up and where I purchased it.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/RWS-34-Breakbarrel-Rifle-Striker-Combo.shtml

klkak
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Air rifle recoil is very different than rifle recoil. A rifle recoils straight back. A spring piston air rifle recoils backwards at first then snaps forward as the spring completes its travel. Its the spike that occurs between the rearward movement and the forward that destroys ordinary rifle scopes. It's like the rifle internally slams on the brakes really hard during recoil, a motion that rifle scopes are not designed to deal with. There are also other back and forth vibrations as the spring comes to rest.

This difference also teaches proper follow through during recoil making air rifle practice excellent for shooting firearms. I practice with an air rifle here in Brazil and notice that my rifle skills don't diminish at all when I get back home to my "real" guns.

Good shooting BTW, 66 yard head shots are to be respected.

Mac

66 yards.....I wish. Its 66 feet.

klkak
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
The scope that comes with the air rifle is designed for spring piston air rifles. Companies like Gamo, RWS, Beeman and other make scopes just for spring piston air rifles.

tsitenha
11-08-2009, 04:34 PM
KKLAK, it was 66 meters, in gale force wind, on a moonless night (got to tell it proper)
Now a pidgeon with 66 feet, that's hard to swallow....

Rick
11-08-2009, 04:35 PM
A black pigeon on a moonless night.....

tsitenha
11-08-2009, 04:38 PM
:clap::clap:
I remember it so well:blushing:

klkak
11-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Tsitenha and Rick are a couple of clowns.

tsitenha
11-08-2009, 05:05 PM
That's why I wear face paint so well, :tongue_smilie:

2dumb2kwit
11-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Now a pidgeon with 66 feet, that's hard to swallow....

Well Duuuuuuh. You have to cut it's feet off. Pfft!:innocent: LOL

Rick
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
That would be a centipigeon.

2dumb2kwit
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
That would be a centipigeon.

...or "This years new model...Pigeon LXVI"!:innocent:

Born2Late
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I lived next door to a old couple in a block of flats.The old man used to feed the wild pigeons.I was studying at the time,with my .22 at the open second floor window.When the big rockpigeons came in I would shoot them ,run down the stairs to collect them and get them out of site before the old guy came out.Needless to say I nearly failed my exams but was very fit from all the running.
We shoot pigeons in the sunflower fields.It is a sight to see when a flock of rockpigeons come in to feed.When the first shot goes off they put on their afterburners and swerve all over the place.It is a humbling experience to count the empty cartridges and compare it to the dead pigeons.
Makes a nice pie with a rich gravy.

Old GI
11-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes, pigeons have been raised in rooftop cages in metro areas for longer than we have been alive. Chefs call them "Squab", and there are a gazillion recipes for them...some are here:
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=pigeon
I've not tried them, but if I had a lot of them around and a nice air rifle, I would become an expert in Squab preparation!

You mean, after eating all that squab, I was really eating pigeon??????? Ick, (spit-spit-spit).:innocent:

klkak
11-10-2009, 12:42 AM
One pigeon equals bait for six Martin traps which gives me at least 6 opportunities to catch Martin which are worth $80+ each.

I have changed my strategies. I found when I fire more then one shot the pigeons fly away not to return for the rest of the day. However when I only fire one shot they don't fly away. So I fire one shot then come back later in the day and kill another one.

klkak
11-13-2009, 06:48 PM
My fancy new air rifle experienced a major malfunction. The sound dampening device started falling apart. I took the gun back to Sports Authority and exchanged it for an air rifle that does not have the sound dampening device. The new gun is a Gamo Hunter Sport. Same performance but in a more conventional package. I'm gonna go try it out on the local pigeon population. I'll let you know the results.

Rick
11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Personally, I think the pigeons sabotaged it.

klkak
11-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Personally, I think the pigeons sabotaged it.

The filthy little saboteurs!

Survival Guy 10
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
im getting the gamo hunter extreme like this one

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-hunter-extreme.html

klkak
12-03-2009, 11:27 PM
im getting the gamo hunter extreme like this one

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-hunter-extreme.html

The Hunter extreme is a very heavy gun. Over 10lbs with scope. The Hunter sport like the one I got only weights 7lbs. If you are going to get the Hunter extreme I would suggest getting the .22 or .25 caliber. They have allot more knock down power for the money and if you are going to carry the weight you might as well have all the power you can get.

(disclaimer: I in no way endorse an air rifle as a survival weapon. I have my reasons which I have stated in past threads.)

Justin Case
04-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a problem with pigeons in my back yard. There are hundreds of them. I started out using my .22lr to snipe them off the power line where they roost during the day. Somebody called the police. The officer who came to my house decided to give me some advice instead of a ticket. He suggested I buy a high powered air gun and only snipe the pigeons during the day when everyone else is at work. After some shopping around I bought a Gamo Whisper .177 cal. pellet rifle.

I set up a blind behind my house and measured the distance from the blind to the roost at 66 ft. I then sighted the scoped rifle dead on at that range. I went out to my blind this morning for the first attempt at the pigeons with this new gun. I fired 5 shots and dropped 5 pigeons. All head shots.

Looks like I'll have plenty of trapping bait this winter.
http://www.gamousa.com/images/rifles/detail_whisper.jpg

why is the barrel flared out like this ?

RealPreppersWearPurple
03-25-2012, 03:10 PM
One pigeon equals bait for six Martin traps which gives me at least 6 opportunities to catch Martin which are worth $80+ each.

I have changed my strategies. I found when I fire more then one shot the pigeons fly away not to return for the rest of the day. However when I only fire one shot they don't fly away. So I fire one shot then come back later in the day and kill another one.

Man, pigeon is one of the best eating birds out there. Shoot some robins, crows, magpies(i hate magpies), meadowlarks or anything else.
Throw em on the grill with a little salt and pepper and you wont be so quick to use em as bait.
Nice shooting

Rick
03-25-2012, 05:53 PM
He doesn't have to shoot them any more. They've died of old age by now. Not saying the thread is old or anything mind you.

RealPreppersWearPurple
03-26-2012, 02:21 AM
I believe I found this on page 24. Rather than asking the same questions or bringing up the same topic repeatedly, I've been going through the archives. A lot of good info there