PDA

View Full Version : 1st ever hunting trip tomorrow.

flop-n-jerk
10-30-2009, 03:34 PM
This will be my FIRST time ever hunting deer! Been something I've wanted to to since I was about ten years old. Never had to time to when I was a kid, father worked 3 jobs to support the family, thus no father-son-hunts. Never had time to as an adult, 3 kids, preggers wife, minimum 70 hour work week.
I'm not so sure that im going to be able to sleep tonight. Hopefully I will be able to bring home lots of protien for the family.

trax
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
who you going with fnj?

Ken
10-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Hopefully I will be able to bring home lots of protien for the family.

Have a great time and be safe. :)

The Quality Control Department will gladly inspect the venison for you - before you risk your family's health. The tenderloin is the best representative sample you can send us. :innocent:

DOGMAN
10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Good Luck!

crashdive123
10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Good luck. Have fun. Are you going with an experienced hunter?

panch0
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Good luck and be safe out there!

Icemancometh
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Good luck and be safe.

flop-n-jerk
10-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks... Safety is number 1 always, hunters safety, firearms safety, first aid had all that good stuff. In my former profession safety and teaching others to be safe was drilled into us nonstop. I am going with someone more experienced than I am, a long time friend.

The only thing that bothers me is walking to and from my spot without getting shot! I will be wearing tons of blaze orange and be entering well before shooting hours but still...lots of dumb people where I live, dumb enough to shoot at movement and hunt one posted land.

Old GI
10-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Test fire.

If it's a shotgun, pattern it. If it's a rifle, zero it. If it's a pistol, give it to me.

Seriously, don't make your first shot at game.

FVR
10-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Speaking of tenderloins, so many hunters who take deer don't even know where they are located. They cut out the backstraps and think they are the tenderloins, they are not.

Wonder how many butchers eat tenderloin on a regular basis?

Good luck on the hunt.

Ken
10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Speaking of tenderloins, so many hunters who take deer don't even know where they are located. They cut out the backstraps and think they are the tenderloins, they are not.

Good luck on the hunt.

Frank is absolutely correct. Just to be on the safe side, flop-n-jerk, the shaded area is the cut of meat you should send to Q.C. :innocent:

FVR
10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Ken,

Great pic.

Ken
10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Ken,

Great pic.

Frank, if has anything to do with food..........:blushing:

flop-n-jerk
10-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Im guessing the tenderloins would be where they are on a cow or pig? Inside the ribcage running on either side of the backbone?

This hopefully will be my first shot at any game animal. Possums and armadillos dont count as game do they? Started target practicing and plinking at about 12 or so. I do have a good bit of experience with a firearm, not the greatest but can hold my own.

Just never actually had time to make it to the 2 day hunters ed course so I could legally hunt. This year I got smart and scheduled some of my vacation time around a class offered by my local Sherrifs Office. Was the oldest person there by 10 years except for the instructor

crashdive123
10-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Just remember to slow down and take a deep breath. The excitement of taking your first one tends to get the heart pumping a bit - changing your normal shooting abilities a tad.

Ken
10-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Im guessing the tenderloins would be where they are on a cow or pig? Inside the ribcage running on either side of the backbone?

Actually, they're just behind the top of the ribs. If you're in doubt, just send a larger cut of meat. :innocent:

And hey! Have a great time!

oly
10-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Take your shot just behind the shoulder blade and not the stomach or intestinal area

aflineman
10-31-2009, 05:09 PM
Good luck and enjoy. Deer season is winding down here. Tomorrow will probably be my last deer hunt, until next year. Hopefully I fill my tag, but if not it was still a good year. Saw some nice country and had some nice walks in the woods with my rifle.
Bear, cougar and coyote are still in season though, so I am not without hunting opportunities later this fall/winter.

Icemancometh
10-31-2009, 06:03 PM

Good luck on the hunt.

I always have my loins and backstraps packaged seperately. I don't worry about my butcher keeping them, he is an old family friend that we have been using for years. He claims to have countless hunters every year that never even pick thier deer up. He charges 1/2 up front to combat this, but he ends up being up to his *** in unclaimed deer every year.

canid
10-31-2009, 07:23 PM

Good luck on the hunt.

quite a few. i've met a butcher who will do a deer for the fee of some nice cuts, but there are some outright dishonest ones aswell.

i had much of a 'deer' given to me once which had been processed by local [idaho back then] butcher, which seemed to be a lot of mix and match from several animals. there was an awful lot of breakfast sausage in there. it had a surplus of loin steaks in it, given the size of the animal taken and the hunter didn't seem to mind.

it was given to me freely, and delicious, so i didn't mind at all.

ClayPick
11-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Best of luck fnj! I got a 9 point buck at dusk yesterday. The preasure is off, there will be meat in the freezer.

crashdive123
11-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Congrats Claypick.

ClayPick
11-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks. My hunting season turned out a little shorter than i like.

aflineman
11-03-2009, 11:53 AM
quite a few. i've met a butcher who will do a deer for the fee of some nice cuts, but there are some outright dishonest ones aswell.

i had much of a 'deer' given to me once which had been processed by local [idaho back then] butcher, which seemed to be a lot of mix and match from several animals. there was an awful lot of breakfast sausage in there. it had a surplus of loin steaks in it, given the size of the animal taken and the hunter didn't seem to mind.

it was given to me freely, and delicious, so i didn't mind at all.

I had my favorite meat locker change hands here and the new owner decided to short-change his customers on their beef and wild game that he cut and packaged for them. He was from a larger town in a state just south of us. I guess he figured that since city folk could not figure they had been short changed, the county folk surely couldn't. He didn't stay in business long.:)