PDA

View Full Version : what do you do?

the edge
03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
what do you do if a moose or a arge animal is running at?
~~~~the edge~~~~

the edge
03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
large animal my bad

MrFlibble
03-31-2007, 03:53 PM
running away would be the wrong thing as they will probably be able to out run you.

find something, anything, to hide behind, like a tree.

BSM
04-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Well, if one had the proper firearm, they could try shooting the animal before it reached them. Notice I said the proper firearm, not any firearm. If you plan on shooting a bear with a .22 for example, you'd better either be an amazing shot (the eye), or you'd better file the sight off the gun first. It'll hurt less when the bear crams it up your but. Seriously though, German helmets in World War II were based off a bear skull because it deflects bullets so well. And anywhere else besides a shot to the heart or the brain would just anger the bear. Even if it were a major artery or something else just as vital, the bear would most likely have plenty of time to render you extremely dead first. That said, most (I would think all, actually, but I don't know for sure) states allow you to fire on protected animals in self-defense (1200 meters is not in self-defense, lol), and some states even allow you to keep the kill afterwards, depending on what it was. Whether or not one possesses the proper firearm is a matter of judgement. A shotgun loaded with birdshot would be the improper firearm in any case I can think of involving a large animal. On the other hand, a fully automatic AK-47 loaded with armor-piercing or incendiary shells would be more than necessary in most situations (note: The previous is illegal in that it is, one, fully automatic, and two, loaded with illegal rounds. However, this doesn't make it any less likely to encounter in Northern Michigan.). Just sharing the realities of Michigan (and the local Militias) with everyone here.
BSM

wolf
04-21-2007, 02:45 PM
If its a moose you could try to climb up a tree if a tree is near, and if its a bear you freeze, yes freeze (if you don't have a gun or bear spray) lay down cover your head with your hands and act brave. A lot of hunters have foiled their breeches which gave away their fear. DON'T RUN OR CLIMB A TREE bears might look slow but I've seen one catch a healthy deer on the run. Oh yeah please don't try to give it a banana that's what my dad said he'd do and I immediately corrected him.

moses1moses
04-24-2007, 02:52 PM
repeatedly shoot it till, it drops and possibly a few more times a till it dies, then eat it, my 7.62x39 fmj and sw500 jhp rds are apropriate

apexpredator
04-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Moose move through the woods like a large truck, noisy, forceful and brushing aside anything in their path. Put a LARGE tree between you and the moose, pray.

owl_girl
04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
If its a moose you could try to climb up a tree if a tree is near, and if its a bear you freeze, yes freeze (if you don't have a gun or bear spray) lay down cover your head with your hands and act brave. A lot of hunters have foiled their breeches which gave away their fear. DON'T RUN OR CLIMB A TREE bears might look slow but I've seen one catch a healthy deer on the run. Oh yeah please don't try to give it a banana that's what my dad said he'd do and I immediately corrected him.

I’m sorry but your not going to have time to climb a tree if it’s a moose running at you! I’ve lived around moose almost my entire life and know more about living with moose then probably anyone on this forum. Don’t mean to sound cocky but if there is anyone who knows as much as I do I’d be a little surprised. And abut the bear it depends on what its doing. If its just charging you and hasn’t touched you yet DON’T lay down because it could be a false charge and you will look vulnerable or injured and encourage there predatory instinct, the last thing you’ll look is brave. But if it touches you play ded. When there was a bear approaching my uncle when he was fishing my uncle let out a big rore and that bear took off. This was in Juneau Alaska ware I was born and bears there are as thick as raccoons in the Midwest, and nobody reacts in any of the ways you recommended. I’d do more research if I were you.

This video will show you just how fast moose are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K94JlejW5LQ&mode=related&search=

In Anchorage Alaska we had moose stick their head in our window. The moose are normally peaceful and don’t bother people because there so accustom to people. But sometimes their not, especially if you are between a baby and it’s mother or if it’s a young teenage male with raging hormones trying to show off his dominants. But this video shows what they are normally like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8m5Kq2Bbzg&mode=related&search=

And this video shows what they can do to you. WARNING this last one is vary disturbing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qD4xOOIkDc

mistylady
04-29-2007, 12:21 PM
I carry legally all the time - at the house and out of the house. 22's are fun but I carry something larger. Better to have it and not need it....

The large animal would be shot. I love animals but when it comes to them or me - I win. And wild animals of any size can do a serious amount of damage to a human.

Muffindude27
04-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Aganist this bear: http://www.blackbearheaven.com/world-record-grizzly-bear.htm, I'd be praying like crazy.

lovegettinlost
04-30-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't know the best answer for a moose, cause where I live we don't have moose, maybe a large deer but nothing else. As for a bear, thankfully I have never had to tes this but I have heard from several people who know bears, that crouchy on the ground with your hands over your head is an effective way of protecting yourself. Of course if the bear is too curious, it might slap you around, and this bearing abear slapping you, might hurt... a lot! That's my two cents for what it's worth.

wolf
05-11-2007, 09:36 PM
ok that last post I did I wasnt remebering my camp training, so owl girl was right but heres my secon opinon. If you come face to face with a large animal freeze and slowly back off and talk in a calm manner. in most cases the animal will back off too. avoid making sudden movments. If an animal appears to charge, move out of the way you might be blocking its escape route. Shouting and commotion may put off a predator. Taking to a tree is the final option. There somone correct That! ;)

wolf
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
repeatedly shoot it till, it drops and possibly a few more times a till it dies, then eat it, my 7.62x39 fmj and sw500 jhp rds are apropriate

Now that sound wrong, but we all know we'd do just that :D

owl_girl
05-12-2007, 06:52 PM
That’s pretty good Wolf. I like that information a lot better. Some times I like to bring a big dog when I go hiking. Hoping to avoid getting charged lol

wildermonkey
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
well if you just make a lot of noise then bears will just not come near unless its bloodthirsty or used to humans like they were at my friends cabin site. they came up and ate our carrots!! my friends dad goes around trying to find bears.

the edge
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
thanks alot guys and gals
~~~ the edge ~~~

marberry
05-30-2007, 10:51 AM
i have a customized 1500 fps rellet rile that fires poison darts , i use it in an emergancy like that luckly iv only had to use it once before

Tony uk
06-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Pick up a sharp stick and jab it in the eye and it will leave you alone

marberry
07-01-2007, 08:06 PM
lol empty my entire ppk/s 's clip of hollow point bullets into it. big animals are no problem but wolverines scare the **** outa me. iv seen a wolverine kill a full grown brown bear and its a vicious lil bugger. to fast to shoot but not 2 small to knock you to the ground. id rather take on a grizzly then a wolverine.

SOE digital
07-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Well here in Australia we generally can't carry guns around anywhere, so shooting the animal is usually out of the question.
If I had nothing to hide behind (the Aussie outback can be pretty flat) I'd just get into a semi-crouched position, pray, and brace for impact...at the last momment I would ATTEMPT to dive out of the way and think of what to do next.
I ALWAYS carry a good knife on me if I'm out bush/desert so I guess I'd have that in hand to try and do battle if I had no alternative.

But I guess when you're in a situation like this there isn't all that much you can do without a projectile weapon. Just TRY and keep cool and hope for some luck.

spiritman
07-02-2007, 05:27 PM
I ALWAYS carry a good knife on me if I'm out bush/desert so I guess I'd have that in hand to try and do battle if I had no alternative.

I like this guy. Doing battle with a bear with his knife would take serious guts.

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
owl girl offence taken ......

i have raised orphaned moose in ontario for the last ten yrs.

anyhow the only time that a moose is going to charge at you is during the rut, any other time they do not want much to do with us,secondly bear attacks are rare, not before everyone starts chastizing me, look at the facts.
as far as what to do when a bear charges at you, most of the time it is a bluff charge,stand your ground if on the rare occassion it is a predatory attack fight back. now i am speaking about my experinces with black bears,from my understanding a grzzly cannot climb a tree (only the youngins) so that might be a possible choice.

always be prepared

owl_girl
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
owl girl offence taken ......

i have raised orphaned moose in ontario for the last ten yrs.

anyhow the only time that a moose is going to charge at you is during the rut, any other time they do not want much to do with us,secondly bear attacks are rare, not before everyone starts chastizing me, look at the facts.
as far as what to do when a bear charges at you, most of the time it is a bluff charge,stand your ground if on the rare occassion it is a predatory attack fight back. now i am speaking about my experinces with black bears,from my understanding a grzzly cannot climb a tree (only the youngins) so that might be a possible choice.

always be prepared

Did you even read my full post? I now all that stuff about bears, adult grizzly bears can’t climb trees but sometimes they can push them down. How much do you know about Anchorage AK? Like I said in my other post the moose were normally pretty peaceful. They come into the city willingly and they do not avoid people. Though I know in most places they avoid people but in Anchorage they don’t. Everything I said about moose I said from experience. Once my mom had her hed out the window filming a moose that was in front of her when a moose behind he walked up stuck his head in the window and started sniffing her, and we got it on film. Another time my mom was trying to get a kid that she baby-sat on the school bus but every time she opened the door this young moose would charge, and he guarded the door waiting for her to open it agene so he could charge. Finally someone with a truck pushed the moose away by pushing it with his truck. Look this is Anchorage
http://camera.touchngo.com/alaskacam(r).jpg
this is moose in Anchorage, there not lost or frightened, that’s just were they live.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/aip/images/moose_250px.jpg http://www.iawf.org.uk/images/news_images/article_images/articleid1008_0.jpg http://www.edrington.com/Moose_sprinkler_hires_small.jpg
I have a lot experience with adult wild moose. I know what I’m talking about, but I don’t know why your offended if you read my full post. What info did I give about moose that you didn’t like?

owl_girl
07-24-2007, 10:00 PM
http://lavrakas.com/imgs/moosebambi.jpg
http://blog.busbank.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/anchorage.jpg http://walpow.com/images/alaska/moose2.jpg
http://www.darkhorsecoffee.com/Downtown_Moose_-_November_2005_026e.jpg

trax
07-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I wrote a long reply to this once and I don't know what the heck happened when I submitted it. But OK, the original question involved a moose. Moose charging people is very rare, if it happens, I'd like to see the person that's going to stand there and shoot,---there aren't many, even if you're sitting there saying "Oh yeah, I would," being there is a little different than sipping coffee and chatting about it on the 'net. It's not likey when 1500-2000 pounds of p-o'd is knocking down trees without hesitation to get at you. YOu're more likely to break your neck sliding around in your own crap trying to get away. Get out of his path, period. If you think you're going to poke him in the eye with a sharp stick, they can put on your headstone what a stupid idea your last one was. Bear attacks usually only happen if the bear has been startled and that's avoidable, for the most part. Of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part, wild animals prefer to avoid us, unless you're in Anchorage apparently (awesome photos owl girl)

I've shot and trapped wolverines. I think they're myth is a lot bigger and tougher than they are, but they are incredibly nasty. Mean dispositions. The Cree call them little devils. I saw a documentary one time a few years ago where a wolverine beat up two coyotes and took away an elk carcass and then a big griz came along and did the same thing to the wolverine. What a fight! The bear eventually won, but that wolverine kept coming back for more. Still, for the most part, they are definitely killable. But, hey, even a lynx will drop on you if they think you've provoked them, so....go figure.

owl_girl
07-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks but I got them off google, just type Anchorage moose in the google search. When I lived there I saw stuff like that all the time. Even got some funny videos of my cat playing with the moose though the moose wasn’t playing, he was annoyed. But yah keep your doors shut or you might let the moose in lol ;)

If a moose charges dodge behind a tree and get out of there field of vision if you can and you might have a chance. I was charged once, I dodged behind a house, I was lucky. I wrote the story in the Scariest moment? thread.

trax
07-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Getting out of their field of vision is exactly right. They charge fast but seldom turn and when they do, awkwardly. I'm not sure where our other Manitoban colleague, Marcraft, is from, but you might enjoy talking with people from Churchill. They often have polar bears wandering the streets.

SOE digital
07-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I like this guy. Doing battle with a bear with his knife would take serious guts.

I'd TRY to do battle ;)
Crazy things have happened. Animals don't like eating things that fight back.

wareagle69
07-28-2007, 10:21 AM
owl girl

yes i read your entire post.. my ofeense came from the fact the you made a statement claiming that you knew more about moose than anyone else on the forum which in my mind is a grandiose claim since this is the world wide web my question to you is just because you grew up in moose country and had some exposure to them what makes you qualified to make that claim. i raise orphaned moose and bear cubs isleep with moose out in our contained swamp on a nightly basis and still have much to learn about their behaviors

now this might seem petty and i do not want to offend you but my pet peeve is reading info that people offer in these forums that to me seems to lack tried and true testing now in your case i understand that you have had the exposure and experience but the claim to knowing more than anyone else in this forum offended me

Sarge47
07-28-2007, 11:15 AM
owl girl

yes i read your entire post.. my ofeense came from the fact the you made a statement claiming that you knew more about moose than anyone else on the forum which in my mind is a grandiose claim since this is the world wide web my question to you is just because you grew up in moose country and had some exposure to them what makes you qualified to make that claim. i raise orphaned moose and bear cubs isleep with moose out in our contained swamp on a nightly basis and still have much to learn about their behaviors

now this might seem petty and i do not want to offend you but my pet peeve is reading info that people offer in these forums that to me seems to lack tried and true testing now in your case i understand that you have had the exposure and experience but the claim to knowing more than anyone else in this forum offended me

So okay, what can either of you guys tell me about Bullwinkle, is he and Rocky really an item? ;>)

wareagle69
07-28-2007, 03:17 PM
last thing i heard is that rocky is still not returning bullwinkles calls his fur has been ruffled because bullwinkle got more attention from the show but agents for both parties are trying to reconsile for a reunion tour if rocky can get out of rehab soon enough

owl_girl
07-28-2007, 04:29 PM
I made that claim because not many people have that type of exposure to moose. However my statement wasn’t that I know more about moose, as I don’t know much about there biology and stuff like that, but that I know about living with moose. I didn’t mean to sound cocky, but the probabilities seemed unlikely sense not many people live with moose. I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Sorry

spiritman
07-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd TRY to do battle ;)
Crazy things have happened. Animals don't like eating things that fight back.

I'd TRY and escape! As fun as battle sounds (charging something that weighs 5-10X my weight swinging my knife, hatchet, or machete) it probably isn't the thing for me. The screaming you would hear if this happened probably would SOUND like a battle cry but I'm not attacking it first.

Strider
07-29-2007, 09:05 PM
There is a simple approach to this problem. Carry several metal and sharp injection darts with a small bottle of poison. Keep it in your breast pocket or jacket pocket for quick access. (Instead of having to dip them in poison, you can spend more money and get ready to throw/shoot darts) Get really strong poison that'll take out the animal in one maybe two hits. Oh, and the best way to do this isn't to run and toss it at it while running. Stop where you are, and if the animal is just charging at you, then the chances it'll stop are kinda slim, but it might. Talk to it softly because this soothes its nerves (most animals, usually moose, i dunno about bears) and move slowly to get out the darts. This has helped me before with an alligator.

zadig39
07-29-2007, 09:12 PM
There is a simple approach to this problem. Carry several metal and sharp injection darts with a small bottle of poison. Keep it in your breast pocket or jacket pocket for quick access. (Instead of having to dip them in poison, you can spend more money and get ready to throw/shoot darts) Get really strong poison that'll take out the animal in one maybe two hits. Oh, and the best way to do this isn't to run and toss it at it while running. Stop where you are, and if the animal is just charging at you, then the chances it'll stop are kinda slim, but it might. Talk to it softly because this soothes its nerves (most animals, usually moose, i dunno about bears) and move slowly to get out the darts. This has helped me before with an alligator.

You are ****in me, right?

Fog_Harbor
07-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Most animals will stay out of your way most of the time. I carry pepper spray for bears (yes it works). Not much moose here in California or my original southern New England

owl_girl
07-29-2007, 09:49 PM

I think you got that backwards, stand your ground with bears because its often a false charge and if you run you could trigger there predatory instincts, don’t stand your ground with moose, there not likely to false charge, if its charging you its likely because you are to close so it fixes this problem by killing you. If you just stand there and don’t leave all the more reason to kill you. Talking to it probably won’t slow it down and if its determined you wont have time to grab a dart, it’ll be over so fast.

owl_girl
07-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Most animals will stay out of your way most of the time. I carry pepper spray for bears (yes it works). Not much moose here in California or my original southern New England

Yah I hear that stuff works good, so long as its that pepper spray thats specifically designed for bears, its more potent and can spray farther then pepper spray for people. Though sometimes people pepper spray can work, its often not strong enough.

spiritman
07-30-2007, 12:24 AM
I like the pepper spray idea, it seems you could use it on anything that would charge. once you hit them with it they can't see so you could just walk away if they don't madly run off.

SOE digital
07-30-2007, 03:10 AM

What an absolute ****ing nutbar!!!

trax
07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm seeing a body found in the forest with one hand reaching for some dorky dart and great big moose hoof prints all over it's abdomen and face. I only hope the old bull doesn't step on his face so they can use dental records for identification. What are you going to do about the fact that 1500 pounds moving at 40 mph doesn't just come to a dead standstill? Or the fact that your little injection darts probably won't pierce the hide of a moose or a bear?

I have a friend who was charged by a polar bear. He started shooting when the bear was still a good distance off, maybe 100 yards or so. He put 8 shots from a .30-30 into that bear's chest and it kept coming. It dropped about 15 yards from him, he told me his hands were shaking too badly to get the rifle re-loaded, (he kept dropping bullets in the mud) and this is a guy who grew up hunting and trapping and was around 50 years old at the time, not the kind of guy who panics.

I sincerely hope that future questions will be responded to with some basis in reality. (By the way, I don't think moose or bears speak any human languages, maybe try singing them a lullabye and they'll nod off :) :) :) ) Now, see? That was humor, not reality

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I like the pepper spray idea, it seems you could use it on anything that would charge. once you hit them with it they can't see so you could just walk away if they don't madly run off.

It works especially well on bears because their sense of smell is something like 20,000 times more sensitive than a dogs.

There is a spray made just for bears, but riot spray works too, that's what I carry in bear country when I'm with others. When I'm alone, i just make a lot of noise during the day.

zadig39
07-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Strider, didn't mean to hammer on u so hard about that post. I see on your bio that u are only 13 yrs old. There is alot of wisdom to be found on this site. U would do well benefit from the experiance of others here, I definately have.

albanian-american
07-30-2007, 05:58 PM
my suggestion is , don't keep dogs around as they will be attacked immediately,which could save your life if you have a dog because the moose would turn its attention to the dog, mooses don't like wolves and a dog looks like a wolf, they will not hesitate to attack the dog,the best thing is to talk gently to them if u don't have a dog and back away slowly, try to climb a tree if u can , if it starts charging at u , u better climb a tree or hide behind something that the moose cannot get u in

Sarge47
07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey Strider, didn't mean to hammer on u so hard about that post. I see on your bio that u a only 13 yrs old. There is alot of wisdom to be found on this site. U would do well benefit from the experiance of others here, I definately have.

The clue was in the name: "Strider", which is King Eragon's other name from "Lord of the Rings.":rolleyes: At least he didn't call himself "Gollum".:eek:

Strider
07-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Sarge, you are right about the name, somewhat. It's what I use for pretty much everything, sorta like an alias, I guess. But (sorry if I'm picky, but I'm a really big fan of JRR Tolkiens works) actually Strider was just what the men in Bree knew him as, his true name being Aragorn. Furthermore, he was the heir to King Elendil, aka King Elessar. Yeah, I know you're thinking what a geek... lol.

Strider
07-30-2007, 07:43 PM
And zadwig, no offense taken. My methods might seem insane to most ppl, but it has helped in the past. :)

SOE digital
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey Strider, didn't mean to hammer on u so hard about that post. I see on your bio that u are only 13 yrs old.

So what about his age. It's the perfect age for him to pull his head in and stop being a little wannabe.

Oh and strider, no one gives a **** about LOTR here okay? The books were great, so were the films, but you're on the wrong forum. Neck up.

My methods might seem insane to most ppl, but it has helped in the past

Hmmm. yes. All those mega battles to the death you've have in your vast 13 years of life.

Sarge47
07-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Sarge, you are right about the name, somewhat. It's what I use for pretty much everything, sorta like an alias, I guess. But (sorry if I'm picky, but I'm a really big fan of JRR Tolkiens works) actually Strider was just what the men in Bree knew him as, his true name being Aragorn. Furthermore, he was the heir to King Elendil, aka King Elessar. Yeah, I know you're thinking what a geek... lol.

Actually, I've been a Tolkien fan for yar's and yars!;) My whole family loved the films and we have all of them in extended versions on DVD. Besides, don't ask me about my choice of screen name either as you won't get a straight answer.:rolleyes:

spiritman
07-30-2007, 10:01 PM
my suggestion is , don't keep dogs around as they will be attacked immediately,which could save your life if you have a dog because the moose would turn its attention to the dog, mooses don't like wolves and a dog looks like a wolf, they will not hesitate to attack the dog,the best thing is to talk gently to them if u don't have a dog and back away slowly, try to climb a tree if u can , if it starts charging at u , u better climb a tree or hide behind something that the moose cannot get u in

I've heard of mixed reactions by the moose, I've seen video of an Australian Shepherd get chased by a moose, but when the moose saw the owners it panicked and ran off. but on the other hand I have heard of a dog scaring one off by itself.

zadig39
07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Strider, I took my screen name from a book also. Voltaire ain't exactly Tolkien but good reading anyhow. SOE does have a point, this is a fun but serious forum on real survival skills. No darts,throwing knives or other mall ninja gear will help you in real life.

trax
08-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Enough already about the moose please, I don't mean to brag but I've probably hunted more moose than most of the people posting here have ever seen, and I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's advice that is worthwhile, but the basic advice has been given. I don't take hunting lightly either people, anyone who's out hunting an animal whose habits/ways they don't know, shouldn't be out there. For the most part if you bump into a moose in the wild, it will probably stand and stare at you and then walk slowly away. I had a moose watching me split firewood in a camp one time and didn't realize he was there until he made some noise walking away, and I was out there to shoot a moose! My most embarrassing hunting story, there you go. If a bull is horny, he's in a bad mood. If he charges, follow the advice about getting out of his field of vision. They aren't rocket scientists, trust me on that. Do not, under any circumstances try to face him down or confront him, you'll die it's that simple. If you can stand far enough back to get some shots at him and drop him, good for you, but don't count on it. I've seen .303 and .308 bullets deflect off of antlers. Seen it, people, no bs.

Again, in my personal experience only, the only bear I've heard of "charging" was the polar bear I mentioned in a previous post. Bear attacks that I'm aware of happened up very close and the bear slapped the crap out of some poor soul, often fatally. If you have a knife, go ahead and use it, but your chances of success are pretty slim. I saw film footage many many years ago of a griz killing a bull moose with one slap, broke his neck. The reason I took that shot at ultraviperman about bears and their passports is because they are all big and tough. If you know bears are around and you're out hiking, make some noise and they'll go out of their way to avoid you. If you leave food scents dangling around for them....serves you right.

Strider, my young friend, there's good advice from some seasoned wilderness veterans here, in fact, to me the thing that makes this site so good is the number of different situations the people here have covered in their lives, different geographies etc. So...pay attention, I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years,and I'm still willing to learn from other's expertise, so please take this for what it is, not criticism nor insult, but hopefully friendly advice.

and I guess that was my little rant about moose and bears, lol

ryaninmichigan
08-01-2007, 03:17 PM
but don't count on it. I've seen .303 and .308 bullets deflect off of antlers. Seen it, people, no bs.

Shooting at the antlers is not going to kill him. Much to high

Also people should be careful about the advice they give and the advice they apply. There are two different strategies for fending off bears Brown bears likely to attack over territory. If you play dead you may live. Black bear are different, if attacked by one you better fight back or you will be dinner for sure.

trax
08-01-2007, 03:44 PM
People have said they'd stand their ground and shoot at a charging moose. They charge with their heads down, all you're gonna see is antlers, good luck coming up with a better shot in those circumstances.

ryaninmichigan
08-01-2007, 03:58 PM
People have said they'd stand their ground and shoot at a charging moose. They charge with their heads down, all you're gonna see is antlers, good luck coming up with a better shot in those circumstances.

I would kill the moose, I have no doubts. Having no doubts and the ablity to keep cool and think fast is what is is all about. me and my weapon are the most dangeous thing in the woods..........

trax
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I would kill the moose, I have no doubts. Having no doubts and the ablity to keep cool and think fast is what is is all about. me and my weapon are the most dangeous thing in the woods..........

I have no doubt that you and your weapon are the most dangerous thing in the woods too, ryan, absolutely no doubt. I truly hope you never see the day when a moose charges you. Best wishes.

wareagle69
08-01-2007, 04:42 PM
okay people.

its easy to speculate how you think you would act in any given situation.
gun fighters back in the day could empty a six shot revolver and not hit the person standing 10 feet in front of him, in somalia my squad mate and i threw rocks at each other from across the road all the while taking direct small arms fire( we both found it humourus) point beind is that every one handles stress and adreneline differently. a full grown bull moose charging at you during the rut is extremely dangerous good luck outrunning him better drop you weapon and double time it up a tree, when a moose is not in the rut they are a very docile creature, i just released one of my orphaned moose about a month ago, he has been in an isolation pen (100 acres) for about the last 9 months so he is not used to humans when i opened the door he casually strolled by me went down to the lake and drank for a while. people fear what they do not understand or the lies they have been brainwashed to believe i spend countless hours in the bush can't seem to find a bear anywhere except where people leave their thrash around then call me to get rid of a nusiance bear. anyhow best of luck killing a full grown charging moose in the bush,with what thermite or c-4 cause a shot gun aint doing the job

trax
08-01-2007, 05:01 PM

I never considered the woods dangerous before

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 05:29 PM

Well that's a comforting thought, remind to stay out of your neck of the woods during hunting season.:rolleyes:

trax
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Sarge, buddy this is for you...

I don't know if you're familiar with a movie called "The Seven Per Cent Solution" It's a Sherlock Holmes movie about the part of the story of ol' Sherlock being a drug addict. There's a scene in the movie where he's traveling through Switzerland by train and he's in this huge bout of depression and he says to Watson

"What if all the great minds of the world were travelling on the same train and an avalanche wiped out the train, killing them all?"

Watson responds, "I'm sure other great minds would be born, Holmes."

and Holmes says, "Ah, Watson, in a world full of avalanches, you are my one fixed point."

Well Sarge, I'm starting to think that in a world full of avalanches, you may be one of the true "fixed points" Thanks for that posting.

Strider
08-01-2007, 05:40 PM
So what about his age. It's the perfect age for him to pull his head in and stop being a little wannabe.

Oh and strider, no one gives a **** about LOTR here okay? The books were great, so were the films, but you're on the wrong forum. Neck up.

[i] My methods might seem insane to most ppl, but it has helped in the past

Hmmm. yes. All those mega battles to the death you've have in your vast 13 years of life.

First off, I am and wasn't a "wannabe"- some odd Australian geek term, I suppose. Next, I wasn't attempting to attract attention by correcting Sarge by putting a bit more info about the name. And lastly, I haven't been in any "mega" battles I guess you would say, but I have been bitten by 2 rattlesnakes, attacked by an alligator on the coast, accidently shot in mistake for a deer in the ankle, have fallen about a dozen stories resulting in a broken arm, broken leg, two fractures, and 3 broken ribs, and lastly, I have survived a plane crash carrying myself and a friend about 150 miles in the middle of no where. Not really much for my "vast 13 years." :mad: How about you?

Strider
08-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Well here in Australia we generally can't carry guns around anywhere, so shooting the animal is usually out of the question.
If I had nothing to hide behind (the Aussie outback can be pretty flat) I'd just get into a semi-crouched position, pray, and brace for impact...at the last momment I would ATTEMPT to dive out of the way and think of what to do next.

But I guess when you're in a situation like this there isn't all that much you can do without a projectile weapon. Just TRY and keep cool and hope for some luck.

Oh, just curious... "try to do battle?" Go right on ahead, good riddance. What kind of an idiot would try to battle a moose or something running straight at them with a puny little hand knife? Maybe I'm missing something,:confused: but I think not... my idea actually had some sense... I happen to know that all mammals have a huge artery that goes up to the brain, and it's along the side of the neck. At the rate that blood flows, if I (who happens to be the highest level for my age in kung fu) were to throw a dart (which I have been practicing for years, darts and knives alike) and hit that artery, it would work the poison up to the brain pretty quick. In that time, I would have time to duck behind a tree or something, and since it was so close to the brain, the animal probably wouldn't have enough strength left to turn about and recharge.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Sarge, buddy this is for you...

I don't know if you're familiar with a movie called "The Seven Per Cent Solution" It's a Sherlock Holmes movie about the part of the story of ol' Sherlock being a drug addict. There's a scene in the movie where he's traveling through Switzerland by train and he's in this huge bout of depression and he says to Watson

"What if all the great minds of the world were travelling on the same train and an avalanche wiped out the train, killing them all?"

Watson responds, "I'm sure other great minds would be born, Holmes."

and Holmes says, "Ah, Watson, in a world full of avalanches, you are my one fixed point."

Well Sarge, I'm starting to think that in a world full of avalanches, you may be one of the true "fixed points" Thanks for that posting.

Well, thanks, I think. I did see that film. Been a Holmes fan since I started reading books without pictures in 'em. Not sure what you mean, or what post you're referring to though.:confused:

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 06:23 PM
First off, I am and wasn't a "wannabe"- some odd Australian geek term, I suppose. Next, I wasn't attempting to attract attention by correcting Sarge by putting a bit more info about the name. And lastly, I haven't been in any "mega" battles I guess you would say, but I have been bitten by 2 rattlesnakes, attacked by an alligator on the coast, accidently shot in mistake for a deer in the ankle, have fallen about a dozen stories resulting in a broken arm, broken leg, two fractures, and 3 broken ribs, and lastly, I have survived a plane crash carrying myself and a friend about 150 miles in the middle of no where. Not really much for my "vast 13 years." :mad: How about you?

Okay Strider, I'm gonna solve this dilemma. After all that I'm renaming you "Lucky".:rolleyes: Kind of a sick joke, I know, but look at yourself now and tell me you aint.;)

Strider
08-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I guess I'm sorta lucky, but even so... :) each case I had help, mostly. How is it a "sick joke?"

SOE digital
08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh, just curious... "try to do battle?" Go right on ahead, good riddance. What kind of an idiot would try to battle a moose or something running straight at them with a puny little hand knife?

Perhapse you're retarded or something, so I'll dull it down for you.
First of all...did I ever mention a moose? Nah, didn't think so. We don't have them in Australia mate. Second, perhapse you missed the fact that I said "if I had no alternative". That means, I would fight the animal as a last resort. But not with stupid poision darts....because I'm actually aware of the real world and don't think of myself as a character from a Tolkien story. Thirdly you're not at the highest level of Kung Fu. You're only 13 mate, which means you know nothing about Kung Fu. Kung Fu takes a lifetime to master, and even then, very few do truely "master" it.
You are NOT at the highest level. If your sifu is telling you that, then he's full of ****. I trained in Kung Fu since I was 4 (that was 16 years ago) and I wouldn't even contemplate saying that I'm at the highest level...that's not because you're better than me mate, it's because I (once again unlike you) am aware of the real world. A 13 year old at the highest level on Kung Fu? Mate, that is ****ing halarious. You really ought to pull your head in and stop sprouting so much bull ****.

go on. Argue with me. Prove to me that a 13 year old can reach the highest level of Kung Fu. Just bare in mind that the Shaolin monks train all day everyday from very early childhood (by real Sifus) and are still novices when they're twice your age. What a freaking numpty you are.

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 07:32 PM

I agree with trax, I too have no doubts you're the most dangerous thing in the woods. I hope we never meet - especially in the woods!

Strider
08-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Oh, just curious... "try to do battle?" Go right on ahead, good riddance. What kind of an idiot would try to battle a moose or something running straight at them with a puny little hand knife?

Perhapse you're retarded or something, so I'll dull it down for you.
First of all...did I ever mention a moose? Nah, didn't think so. We don't have them in Australia mate. Second, perhapse you missed the fact that I said "if I had no alternative". That means, I would fight the animal as a last resort. But not with stupid poision darts....because I'm actually aware of the real world and don't think of myself as a character from a Tolkien story. Thirdly you're not at the highest level of Kung Fu. You're only 13 mate, which means you know nothing about Kung Fu. Kung Fu takes a lifetime to master, and even then, very few do truely "master" it.
You are NOT at the highest level. If your sifu is telling you that, then he's full of ****. I trained in Kung Fu since I was 4 (that was 16 years ago) and I wouldn't even contemplate saying that I'm at the highest level...that's not because you're better than me mate, it's because I (once again unlike you) am aware of the real world. A 13 year old at the highest level on Kung Fu? Mate, that is ****ing halarious. You really ought to pull your head in and stop sprouting so much bull ****.

go on. Argue with me. Prove to me that a 13 year old can reach the highest level of Kung Fu. Just bare in mind that the Shaolin monks train all day everyday from very early childhood (by real Sifus) and are still novices when they're twice your age. What a freaking numpty you are.

Ok, well, I know you didn't say moose, that's why I put in my comment a moose or something. You really need to work on your literature skills.
Oh, and please, look even closer. I didn't say I was a master at Kung Fu. I put I am at the highest level for my age. Yes, go back and read it.
You said you trained at Kung Fu since 4? Hard to believe... a true master wouldn't pass his skills onto someone who curses every other word, I think.
Numpty must be another of those odd Australian terms...
In conclusion, you haven't any proof of how old I am, where I live, or anything else. Personally, I don't give out personal information because I'm not that dumb. Go on believing I'm a 13 year old geek who thinks he's a big shot. That's OK with me. You truly have no idea about anything related, relevant or irrelevant to this argument, about me. :)

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
I guess I'm sorta lucky, but even so... :) each case I had help, mostly. How is it a "sick joke?"

There's an old joke where someone posts a "lost dog" sign describing the dog as "being castrated, losing a leg, tail, & eye, etc. Answers to the name of LUCKY."
:o
Sorry, I wasn't dissin' ya, man. By the way, does anybody know what a "numpty" is?:confused:

spiritman
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Seriously guys I think you've fought enough. time to lay off it.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Seriously guys I think you've fought enough. time to lay off it.

Sheath thy sword, Strider. (can't remember the sword's name, drat! Course I always liked "sting" better!):confused:

SOE digital
08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I didn't say I was a master at Kung Fu. I put I am at the highest level for my age. Yes, go back and read it.

No, you didn't say for your age. You went back an edited your post 7 minutes after my post was made. Besides, levels attained in the practice of 'traditional' Kung Fu is not relevent to the age of the student. There are no levels for each age group. Numpty.

Oh, and numpty isn't an Australian word....numpty.

Oh and your moose argument is flawed. If I didn't say anything about fighting a moose then why did you refer to me as an idiot for saying I would do battle with one.
Neck up f u ck wit.

But what ever right? You keep going on dreaming about being a Gondor ranger and using poision darts to take down massive cave trolls and slaying orcs by the dozen.

Sarge: Strider's sword was Anduril and Narsil, depending.
Holy ****. I'm starting to feel like a 13 year old kungfu poision dart master!

Strider
08-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I didn't say I was a master at Kung Fu. I put I am at the highest level for my age. Yes, go back and read it.

No, you didn't say for your age. You went back an edited your post 7 minutes after my post was made. Besides, levels attained in the practice of 'traditional' Kung Fu is not relevent to the age of the student. There are no levels for each age group. Numpty.

Oh and your moose argument is flawed. If I didn't say anything about fighting a moose then why did you refer to me as an idiot for saying I would do battle with one.
Neck up f u ck wit.

But what ever right? You keep going on dreaming about being a Gondor ranger and using poision darts to take down massive cave trolls and slaying orcs by the dozen.

OK fine, I'm finished here. I apologize that my idea was completely stupid. I apologize that I have been arguing with you. I didn't mean to make you angry. I know my idea did sound crazy.
This forum isn't for arguements... it is for wilderness survival. Again, I apologize that I have made you angry. :o

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Neck up f u ck wit.

So where does Numpty fit into all this?:confused: Was he one of the seven dwarves? No, that was Grumpy. Anyway, please lighten up on the half-ling; remember, we all were young once...except for me, I still am!:D

Strider
08-01-2007, 09:28 PM
I owe an apology to the people who have been reading our argument. I'm sorry, I know this isn't the place for it. Again, I apologize. :o
Oh, and Sarge, Strider's sword's name is Narsil.

Strider
08-01-2007, 09:30 PM
There's an old joke where someone posts a "lost dog" sign describing the dog as "being castrated, losing a leg, tail, & eye, etc. Answers to the name of LUCKY."
:o

Ok, I get it! :)

Fog_Harbor
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm wondering about the numpty thing myself - sounds like a word I'd use.

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm wondering about the numpty thing myself - sounds like a word I'd use.

New rule guys. If you must use insults please limit them to those that are understood on the international level!:rolleyes: Now I'm really wondering...let's see: Humpty Numpty sat on a wall...no, that's not it.;)

owl_girl
08-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Numpty? I don’t know, but it sounds hilarious in a kind of degrading way.

Strider
08-01-2007, 09:56 PM
New rule guys. If you must use insults please limit them to those that are understood on the international level!:rolleyes: Now I'm really wondering...let's see: Humpty Numpty sat on a wall...no, that's not it.;)

lol, sarge!:) :)

SOE digital
08-01-2007, 10:30 PM
You silly Americans ;)
Numpty, it's a British word for 'idiot'.

Strider
08-01-2007, 10:36 PM
That sounds like something British! All of those odd words... :)

owl_girl
08-01-2007, 10:40 PM
oh ok British

Sarge47
08-01-2007, 11:04 PM
You silly Americans ;)
Numpty, it's a British word for 'idiot'.

Hmm, guess I'm a "numpty" then. As long as you didn't call me "Wanker" or "Puta" I can live with that, although it wasn't me you were calling that, was it.;)
Truth be known, my faite come back for those calling me names is: "Call me anything but late-for-supper".:D

Strider
08-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Well, at least our argument led us to learn a new (and odd) word... now we can all go and call everyone we know numptys... :) :)

spiritman
08-01-2007, 11:13 PM
And laugh even harder when they have to ask what it means!

Strider
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Yeah... I don't think it'd be in any dictionary!! lol...:) :D

spiritman
08-01-2007, 11:23 PM
The definition is the first thing on the list if you put it in google

SOE digital
08-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Shut up Sarge...
...you wanker ;)

I kid.

Strider
08-01-2007, 11:36 PM
ok spirit man... sorry!:rolleyes:

spiritman
08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
lol thats right! know your place sonny! ;) jk it's all good.

I'd be really surprised if nobody else looked it up or just figured it out, thats not the first time he's said it, I think it was when he was battling some naive bear fan over if the show was fake or not.

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
Shut up Sarge...
...you wanker ;)

I kid.

Okay Aussie, (sigh) I asked for that! By the way, at my other forum we have a Kiwi member whom I had the pleasure of meeting a few years back.(Kiwi is a New Zealander to all you "numptys" out there.:rolleyes:) I explained that I was learning to speak various accents and had been given instructions on how to do Austrailian & I wondered if there was any difference between Aussie & NZ. He told me that you can always tell the difference because people from Austraila tend to swear & spit a whole lot more. Any truth to that?:confused:

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah we swear a ****load. As 'bout as much as the Irish.
There are loads of differences between the Kiwis and the Aussies.

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Yeah we swear a ****load. As 'bout as much as the Irish.
There are loads of differences between the Kiwis and the Aussies.

Really? Like what differences? My understanding is that the accents are much the same, is that correct?:rolleyes:

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Let me put it this way. A Lady at my work is a Kiwi but has lived in Australia for decades. The first sentence she spoke to me I knew she was a sheep-shagger ;)

They pronounce certain sounds differently.
We see "chips" (as in fish and chips) they pronounce it as " fesh and chups".

owl_girl
08-02-2007, 12:30 AM
The funny thing about Aussies is no madder how mad they get and angry they try to sound they still sound so cute. lol :D

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
That's because we're so beautifull.

owl_girl
08-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh is that why lol

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 12:56 AM
Go on. I'm a 20 year old Australian male who surfs, rock climbs, kayaks etc.
Just try and resist my beauty.

Did I mention I have a tan? ;)

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 01:16 AM
Go on. I'm a 20 year old Australian male who surfs, rock climbs, kayaks etc.
Just try and resist my beauty.

Did I mention I have a tan? ;)

Uh-oh, Owl-girls at it again.:rolleyes: wonder how cold it gets in Australia?:D

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 01:18 AM
The funny thing about Aussies is no madder how mad they get and angry they try to sound they still sound so cute. lol :D

(Groucho Marx voice) That's easy for you to say.:rolleyes:

SOE digital
08-02-2007, 01:31 AM
wonder how cold it gets in Australia

It snows.
But it gets mega hot here. Like upwards of 130+ degrees.

owl_girl
08-02-2007, 02:21 AM
Uh-oh, Owl-girls at it again.:rolleyes: wonder how cold it gets in Australia?:D
Ok fine I’ll stop….for now :p

ryaninmichigan
08-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Wow thanks for the welcome. I was merely trying to participate. At least I did not say I would throw poison darts at it. How does anyone know If I would kill the moose or not? No one survives a moose attack? We have moose in Michigan also. But I am sure they are not “the same” Give me a break

trax
08-02-2007, 02:26 PM
The original question was how do you survive that kind of thing. No one said there's no surviving it. Everyone's point of view is welcome here, but if I think a response is stupid, I'm going to say so, and I expect the same back. I also tend to wisecrack and kid around, hopefully we can differentiate between dry humor and serious responses. I have two questions: how many charging moose have you ever seen? how many moose have you killed in your life?

When I suggested to people that getting out of a charging moose's way is their best advice, that's solid experience ok? I have no reason to tell them differently. If someone is inexperienced in those kinds of environments, then they're probably not all that experienced at shooting moving animals either. Any animal that charges isn't going to do it from some great distance away, it would probably be less than 50 feet. An angry bull moose covers that ground in seconds, lowering it's head and plowing down anything in it's path. YOu're not going to get a decent first shot and if you stand there, you're not going to get a second shot. It really is that simple, no one's trying to challenge your mastery of firearms here. Science has yet to devise a measuring instrument that can give a fair indication of how little my interest is in how dangerous you consider yourself and your rifle.

I agree wholeheartedly with your response to the throwing darts, by the way, but I believe the question was asked in earnest....possibly by someone who has less experience than some of the others here in forests and thought it a serious enough concern to ask. So, I also believe that person deserves the best answer possible and I've grown thoroughly tired of answers reeking of testosterone and based on ego rather than real life experience. Please continue to post and respond to posts, I honestly laughed my butt off when you responded to the survival scenario about keeping your eyes peeled for pi$$ed off moose.As far as this particular thread goes, I'm done with it, I hope Chris toasts it, so if you want to respond to me personally, pick another posting or I'll never see it.

Sarge47
08-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I've been attacked by both chocolate mousse as well as a spray can of the stuff. Lesson? Don't tick your wife off!:D

wareagle69
08-03-2007, 05:19 PM
boy this is the last time i take a cuople of days off to practice my skills what in the world has been going on here

a few things
1-sarge "leave the half-ling alone" funniest thing i have read in weeks

2 soe digital better leave owl girl alone trax might get out of control and throw a posion dart at ya

3 can't we all just get along

spiritman
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
AMEN!

How was your trip btw?

Sarge47
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
boy this is the last time i take a cuople of days off to practice my skills what in the world has been going on here

a few things
1-sarge "leave the half-ling alone" funniest thing i have read in weeks

2 soe digital better leave owl girl alone trax might get out of control and throw a posion dart at ya

3 can't we all just get along

Missed ya brother Wolf, hope you had fun, it's been a bit frisky here, but at least we found out what "numpty" means!:eek:

carcajou garou
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Id listen to Wareagle69, or learn to pray
"Creator for what I am about to receive I thank you"

wareagle69
08-05-2007, 09:33 PM
say the new guy sounds intelligent to me

welcome to the wolf pack

always be prepared