PDA

View Full Version : Pointy thingies!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
I want to get you guys opinions.....I have decided I don't like extremely pointed knife blades. I am considering "rounding" the point on a few of mine. Why? I just don't like a knife that is really really pointed. While we are at it, I would also ask what in the world are serrations for? I have never liked them either.

2dumb2kwit
10-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I want to get you guys opinions.....I have decided I don't like extremely pointed knife blades. I am considering "rounding" the point on a few of mine. Why? I just don't like a knife that is really really pointed. While we are at it, I would also ask what in the world are serrations for? I have never liked them either.

I think serrations, are for people, like me, who can't sharpen knives very well. With serrations, even when the knife gets dull....you can still use it like a saw. LOL:blushing:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Ok a saw that gets in the way most times you use your knife that is a valid point 2Dumb.....

2dumb2kwit
10-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Ok a saw that gets in the way most times you use your knife that is a valid point 2Dumb.....

Hey.....some knives have a friggin' corkscrew in the way. LOL:innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Your supposed to take the corkscrew off of the blade after opening the bottle. I left you a funny on the "joke of the day thread" LOL

canid
10-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I would also ask what in the world are serrations for?bread, and naught else. serration is for saws.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 07:31 PM
bread, and naught else. serration is for saws.

OK so far we have 2 that dislike serrated blades and one with a corkscrew stuck on his blade!

Rick
10-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Great for steaks. Maybe rope. Oh, I know, marketing gimmick. A straight blade with do everything a serrated one will. Can't say the reverse is true.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 07:42 PM
OK please provide feedback about the point on your goto knife....Me I think a blade that is really pointed will come through a sheath quick in a fall off my horse. Also it just makes me slow, say if I were to do some bushwork, I am used to being able to support the knife by the blade end and the handle to do some tasks. Oh and my Mora has recently put 2 little pointy thingy holes in my hand. Not badly cut or rather stuck, I did it working on the sheath. I got to weighing it out...Why does it need to be so pointed. One reason I could come up with is drilling. That's it... the only reason. Someone convince me not to take the tip off of my knife...I dare you!

Rick
10-29-2009, 07:45 PM
It's probably just me but if the blade keeps poking you chances are good you're holding it by the wrong end. Just a thought.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
You know it could be I always play with bigger knives...Might take some getting used to. Seriously though give me reason for it not to be rounded on the end. Not complaining about the knife, just talkin' knives in general. When I weigh it out I just think a knife is better handled with a rounded point, mind you it isn't a dull point.

Rick
10-29-2009, 07:54 PM
That 780 is just the right size to make "stuff" with. That point can be used to help you make triggers for snares/traps, make a flute or whistle, poke a few holes in your tater when you bake it, slip inside a tuff knot to cut it lose, make holes in leather, canvass or rubber, and just to keep you on your toes.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Rick,

Your right! Good argument I will give it some "Boots in the Field time" before I make any rash decisions! I hit this thing on a "Blue Arkansas" and I guess I am very respectful of it now! Healing fine though!

Rick
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
You can always take the point off. A bit tougher to put it on. But I do have faith if anyone can do it, you can.

Ole WV Coot
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
I carried a pointy one in the '60s plus a K-Bar. The pointy one was an EK edge & 1/2 and the K-Bar was used much more. I find no use for serrations except on a bread knife. The pointy one was strictly a "fighter" so I would like to see one of you guys that does good work make my favorite Nessmuk style blade, gonna convert someone to the blade that just is made for cutting, skinning & slicing not a hatchet or fighter, just a good knife.

Rick
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Coot, I don't think it's gonna take much arm twistin' around here. Lots of folks like your knives!!!

Survival Guy 10
10-29-2009, 08:42 PM

point or not still dangerous

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-29-2009, 08:45 PM
I carried a pointy one in the '60s plus a K-Bar. The pointy one was an EK edge & 1/2 and the K-Bar was used much more. I find no use for serrations except on a bread knife. The pointy one was strictly a "fighter" so I would like to see one of you guys that does good work make my favorite Nessmuk style blade, gonna convert someone to the blade that just is made for cutting, skinning & slicing not a hatchet or fighter, just a good knife.

I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x86/arabmagic/DSCN1793.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah CS it sounds like a Nessmuk is what you are looking for I think I have a couple of pics from "cruising Knife sites". Here are 4 different versions of a Nessmuk pattern and one of the backside of a sheath that I thought was really cool for a Nessmuk. But it may give you ideas on a sheath pattern for it.

panch0
10-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I am not really a fan of serrations. They are supposedly good for cutting seat belt straps, rope, etc.... A plan edge could do all that and make thin fuzz sticks too. They have their place, but I just never needed one. As for pointy knives. They love to get broken off. I am beginning to like sheepsfoot blades like on a Case stockman. It has a sharp corner but plenty of steel behind it to give the pointy edge strength. My Spydero native has a pointy edge. I am just careful not twist or bend when de-animating zombies. The tip might snap. Now if the tip has plenty of steel behind it and is not super thin then it should work good. I like the tips on the RC3-4-5 it is a good tough point.

mcgyver
10-30-2009, 07:22 AM
So far I've only found two uses for serrated knives, and in these two cases they do excel.

1. Cutting hemp type rope.
2. During field dressing, separating ribs from a breastbone on a deer.

For these two reasons I carry a fully serrated folder. I don't use it for anything else because it's a PITA to sharpen.

Saws are for wood.

When it comes to pointy knives, I like a point on my folder. Handy for a lot of detail work.
I do prefer more "belly" on my larger knives and would sacrifice the point for a rounder tip. Most of the time, I find you are working with either the belly of the edge or the first 2-3" of the blade, so that point is hanging out there for you to keep track of.
If we are talking tactical use knives, that would be a whole 'nother discussion. I'm a slicer, not a poker.:innocent:

your_comforting_company
10-30-2009, 07:32 AM
I've had a few store bought knives with serrations... always seem to give them away around christmas to someone else. I dont care for them.
Points are good when doing some detail work, but only with smaller knives, like my old timer skinner or my triple blade Kabar bull neuter-er (my grandad worked for a cattle farm for a while)
I prefer drop point myself. less pointy and still works great for skinning.
just my 2 cents.

Ole WV Coot
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?

Got a couple posted "Knives made for Grandson" by me. Don't know how to move those pics over here. See if you can get there using search. Sorry, I can't drive this computer any better.

rwc1969
10-30-2009, 01:08 PM
I like a point and thin blade for filetting fish. I use my pointy knives to pry, screw, drill, etc. and they all end up being non-pointy knives. Snap!

I hate serrated knives!

crashdive123
10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=COWBOYSURVIVAL;164999]I'll make it..if you wanna post a pic of one of yours or I will look up Nessmuk?

Got a couple posted "Knives made for Grandson" by me. Don't know how to move those pics over here. See if you can get there using search. Sorry, I can't drive this computer any better.

Here ya go. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3434

panch0
10-30-2009, 04:34 PM
This was my third or fourth knife. It was a nessie of sorts. A buddy of mine still uses it. He says he loves the shape and that it is very handy. Not as nice as coot's but still works.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=77&pictureid=1690

Ole WV Coot
10-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks Rick & Crash. I need all the help I can get and appreciate it. CS hope that gives you the shape I like.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah it did help Coot! Looks like a good one for me to cut my teeth on....I think I'll give hammering it out on the forge a go....all this grinding and filing is getting old... I'll post it when I get started!

crashdive123
10-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Cowboy - we've been going about it all wrong. Look at what the proper tools can do for you. Check out the two demonstration videos. http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Cowboy - we've been going about it all wrong. Look at what the proper tools can do for you. Check out the two demonstration videos. http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html

Now that is real nice. I "steel" want to make one with the hammer and of course you still have some stock removal either way. Looked like I could build a setup like that if I could find the time...

WoodSmoke
11-07-2009, 12:00 AM
There is actually something to be said for a dull point knife. When dressing a deer you need a good edge, but you never really use the point other than on the anus, to start the cut. A sharp pointed knife is a liability there... it could puncture an organ... and yes I know it won't if you're good, but still. I use a dull (filed down) pointed mora to dress deer, it's just easier that way.

That knife is dedicated to the task though, if I had to take one blade for everything I wouldn't take it.