PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Alaska

Harold
10-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Hi All!

I am new to the forum. I somewhat introduced myself in a recent thread but thought I would make it more official since it was pointed out that I might should have done an introduction at this location.

I was born and raised in Kentucky, did my undergraduate work at Murray State University, Austin Peay University, and University of Tennessee. I received my doctorate from the University of Kentucky. As a health care professional I have worked and lived in 36 countries. I am a senior citizen and work full time as a health professional for the US ARMY (Ft. Richardson) in Anchorage, Alaska. I live in Chugiak, Alaska.

I am an active SCUBA diver and hold a Master Instructor rating with PADI (M1195). I am also an Amateur Radio operator (KD5DNA). I once enjoyed sport parachuting but I have grown much too old for that sport. I enjoy backpacking and camping and I am an avid hunter and fisherman.

I am a Large Format photographer and have been seriously into photography since 1965. In the last 10 years my work has shown in Germany, France, Italy, and Canada. I have a complete darkroom where I process Black & White as well as color film and images. Though reluctant, I have begun to embrace digital photography however conventional photographic arts will always be my first love.

I am also a Tool & Die Maker and I own a machine shop in which I am quite active. I build custom rifles and have patented several surgical devices which I designed and fabricated in my machine shop.

Years ago, when I rode to school on woolly mammoths, I had a Rock & Roll band (The Tikies) and we had several songs to spin on WLS in Chicago. That was a big deal back then. To help pay my way through college I played a B3 Hammond organ for dinner clubs (torch songs like Misty, Stardust, September Song, Stranger On The Shore, Tenderly, etc.). Today I still play the keyboard as well as guitar and banjo.

I was raised as a "country boy" and our lifestyle, which was quite ordinary at the time, is considered to be "survival" today. I still enjoy and cling to old ways. My wife is Deutsch with strong German work ethics. We harvest bear, moose, and deer, as well as fish, crab, and shrimp. We can most everything. Being German, my wife bakes a variety of fresh German breads on a weekly bases. According to German customs, a German woman ain't a good German woman unless she knows how to cook and bake. My Frau takes great pride in her home-making skills. She also works full time as a CNA.

My wife and I were married in Denmark. It took much too long to get married in Germany (believe it or not, it's hard to get married in Germany and even harder to get a divorce) so we hopped an ICE train and tracked off to Denmark where we took the final plunge. I have never been sorry and I've never looked back. She has been the greatest thing that has happened to me.

I derive a great deal of personal satisfaction in teaching young folks "country ways" ..... when one can find young people willing to learn.

Well, there's more but I won't bore you.
Harold:)

rwc1969
10-29-2009, 01:23 AM
Welcome to the site Harold. It sounds like you have a wide variety of interests. I for one am interested in learning the "country ways". So, please teach on.

doug1980
10-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Welcome from a neighbor. I'm a country boy who is willing and eager to learn.

Sourdough
10-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Welcome, We have other members from Peters Creek & Chugiak, Alaska, Long time ago I lived on Fire Lake.

Winnie
10-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Hello again and welcome from "over the pond"

Rick
10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
Welcome home.

crashdive123
10-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Hello and welcome.

Ken
10-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the Forums! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs060.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)

Ken
10-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Hello again and welcome from "over the pond"

Welcome........."over the pond" thats in America ...Right...?

:innocent:

Icemancometh
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Welcome from Louisville and another UK grad.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Hello and Welcome to the site!
Just call me poco or Mel. My username is way too long!LOL I know some survival skills,some wild edible and medicinal plants, and some basic woodscraft. Many good folks here,that will be glad to help you out in your quest for knowledge.(This is something I copy/paste to all introductions Please don't be offended when you see it on someone elses introduction. It just saves me a little typing!!)
WOW!!! That was quite an Introduction and definitely was not boring!! I really look forward to hearing more from you!! I also live in Kentucky. I have also been to Deutschland.I was stationed in Göppingen near Stûttgart.

Harold
10-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I will try my best to behave myself and not cause problems.

Good to see some good ol' Kentucky boys still around as well as some *very local* Alaskans ....... and of course a UK grad (Go Big Blue!). In passing, Poco do you miss Deutschland? We usually return to Schweinfurt once a year to visit friends and my Frau's family.

I really look forward to being on this forum where I can learn and share ideas.

Harold:)

DOGMAN
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Wow, great introduction for what sounds like a very robust life! I look forward to learning something from all those experiences! keep posting and welcome to the best place on line...:clap::clap::clap::clap:

oldsoldier
10-30-2009, 05:59 PM
welcome to the asylum

cowgirlup
10-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Welcome Harold!

Sounds like you know lots of interesting things!!!
Nice to have you here!

Bladen
10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
welcome welcome welcome

Harold
10-31-2009, 12:15 PM
welcome to the asylum

Looks like a 5th Group (Abn) Flash to me.

I am a life member with SFA.

Harold