PDA

View Full Version : Canteen cups

Chrs
10-26-2009, 10:53 PM
I was wondering if any of you knew how many fluid oz. the canteen cup holds. Do you think it would be enough if I had utensils, a plate, and the canteen cup for my cook set?

Rick
10-26-2009, 11:02 PM
You know I actually measured that some time back. I'm pretty certain it was 2 cups of liquid so that would equate to 16 ounces. I also measured a canteen cap and if I remember correctly it was one tablespoon.

You can easily check it with a measuring cup. 8 ounces of liquid is one cup of liquid.

crashdive123
10-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Chrs - as Rick said, two cups is pretty standard. As far as that, utensils and a plate - it all depends on your comfort level using those items. Practice in your back yard, find out what works best for you for the type of food you will be cooking. You may even find out that you don't need the plate (or maybe you need more stuff).

finallyME
10-27-2009, 05:36 PM
What you need depends entirely on what you plan to do. More info would help with a better answer.

Chrs
10-27-2009, 08:25 PM
All right, What I do right now is backyard camp(my yard is woodsy) because its cold and nobody in my family will brave the cold except for me. I think it'd be nice to have a cup to cook stuff in because one of my favorite parts about camping is cooking(other part is bushcraft). In the summer I go camping with my older brother and my dad at my uncles 80 acre lot and we usually spend about 4 days there. The cup would be for me to use, I like to go off on my when I'm there.

Since the canteen cup is the same size of the Nalgene nesting cup, I think that I'll go for the Nalgene cup because it doesn't have a odd shape like the canteen cup. I've also looked at the sierra cups and I saw one that holds 16oz., this ones kind of like a plate/bowl, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html

Which shape would you prefer?
here's my order,
1.sierra
2.nalgene
3.canteen

crashdive123
10-27-2009, 08:27 PM
The neat thing about cooking while out camping is trying new ideas (except for bacon - there is nothing new about bacon and it should be eaten every day), but I digress... Experiment - find out what you like the best.

Rick
10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I think that's outstanding. Not only will it give the chance to try out your hand at cooking but also at firemaking. There are a lot of ways you can go and you'll probably change what you use a time or three before you find out what works for you.

You might also look at the Olicamp Space Saver. It's the same thing as the Nalgene.

Don't forget that once you take that cup off hot coals it's going to be hot. Putting it to your lips will become an abject lesson in blistered lips. Since you plan to cook over a fire make certain you buy a single walled cup. A double walled cup with explode a seam once it heats up.

SARKY
10-27-2009, 10:40 PM
You need a plate........ why???

crashdive123
10-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Covers that big open spot in the back of my head.

Chrs
10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I need a plate if I want more than one entree

crashdive123
10-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Just use a banana leaf. Oh wait - you're in Minnesota - never mind.

finallyME
10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Sorry, I guess when I ask for more info, I should follow my own advice and give more info on the type of info I am asking for. :clap:

What I meant to ask was what type of cooking, and what type of food? If you are doing it to practice bushcraft then you probably should limit yourself to a pot and one utensil.

Rick
10-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Or make your own utensils. It's really not that difficult to make chop sticks, for example.

2dumb2kwit
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Or make your own utensils. It's really not that difficult to make chop sticks, for example.

Yeah. Of coarse , I'd have to make about four of them, with pointy ends, and tie them together, to be able to eat with them!:blushing:

Sarge47
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
All right, What I do right now is backyard camp(my yard is woodsy) because its cold and nobody in my family will brave the cold except for me. I think it'd be nice to have a cup to cook stuff in because one of my favorite parts about camping is cooking(other part is bushcraft). In the summer I go camping with my older brother and my dad at my uncles 80 acre lot and we usually spend about 4 days there. The cup would be for me to use, I like to go off on my when I'm there.

Since the canteen cup is the same size of the Nalgene nesting cup, I think that I'll go for the Nalgene cup because it doesn't have a odd shape like the canteen cup. I've also looked at the sierra cups and I saw one that holds 16oz., this ones kind of like a plate/bowl, http://www.campingsurvival.com/jumbosierracup1.html

Which shape would you prefer?
here's my order,
1.sierra
2.nalgene
3.canteenWhy ask us? If you're camping out in your back yard then take everything with you and see for yourself what you like best! What I use is completely different than what you might wind up using. :cool2:

Chrs
10-28-2009, 06:43 PM
FinallyME- I'll probably use it for things like hot drinks, Asian ramen(yes, Asian), those boxed noodle meals and dry rice mixes. maybe making eggs, bacon, potatoes. I'll be using a homemade alcohol stove. That's about all I know how to cook and will cook.

Sarge-I just need to know since I can only get one cup(I have no allowance and need to do odd jobs for it)

Rick- I Made a spoon last night and I'm starting on a small cup/bowl and a fork. Don't really need to make chopsticks since I'm half Taiwanese and probably have over 40 sets of them, lol.

Sarge47
10-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Sarge-I just need to know since I can only get one cup(I have no allowance and need to do odd jobs for it) I understand what you're saying, however you can also use stuff you find at yard sales to help you out. I once bought a complete MSR Cooking kit, complete with carry bag for $5! Another thing, don't run out & buy from the 1st place online that you find. Google the name of the item & start checking out sites; many times you will be surprised at the price differences. Also try cooking with tin cans, you'll have a lot of fun making your own kit. Finally, don't rule out using household items. A small household pot with a lid can work just as well as an expensive Backpacking one from a name brand company. My favorite pan of choice is a heavy cast iron skillet. I also have a large Peak One cook set made by Coleman, among other things. You have something available to you that a lot of us don't have, a great "outdoor laboratory where you can conduct your own "experiments!" You're right next to home if anything "goes South," & that means that you have "control" over your situation. BTW, Have you ever been involved in Boy Scouts? They can help you out a lot better than us since they would be hands on! :cool2:

Sarge47
10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Okay, here's some of the stuff I got at yard sales:

MSR cook-kit; 2 pots, lid/skillet, small knife & fork, pot handler, carry-bag, (partially mesh.) $5.

Coleman single burner propane mountaineering stove, used very little/like new; complete in box with instructions. It has a hose to distance the burner from propane cartridge, which, BTW, a fuel cartridge was included with it. $3

2 brand new hard plastic Nalgene wide mouth, 1 quart water bottles, one for $3, the 2nd I found for $.50.

Small Jansport Daypack, $1.

Like I say, look around! :cool2:

NCO
10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
A mess kit

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2420_1.jpg

and a spoon-fork combo

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2427_1.jpg

and your knife

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2403_1.jpg

That is all you can ever need for cooking and eating.

crashdive123
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
NCO - I was going to edit your post and replace the knife picture with this

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/images/S1-main-2-xlg.jpg

but I just couldn't do it. I must be getting soft in my old age.

Ken
10-28-2009, 09:00 PM
NCO - I was going to edit your post and replace the knife picture with this

http://www.lifeviewoutdoors.com/store/images/S1-main-2-xlg.jpg

but I just couldn't do it. I must be getting soft in my old age.

Do it. Please. :innocent:

Chrs
10-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Sarge- from what I've heard around here boy scouts is completely different than it was before. Anyways my uncle always teaches me stuff.

The only thing I've ever gotten from a yard sale is a mountain bike for $5. all the other stuff is just toys around here.

NCO
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Might just as well replaced it with this. Again, this and mora share a lot of qualities together..

http://www.rayfloro.com/images/B6.jpg

Rick
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Both made in Sweden were they?

NCO
10-29-2009, 10:51 AM
No, the blue thing is actually american.. But the wood working capabilities, blade strength, reliability and holding the blade sharp are very very similar..

Rick
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow! I wouldn't have thought a round object would have been that precision made, sharp or easy to use. You guys should try making the puukko like that!!

NCO
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Neither I could believe that mora could be made with such ignorance to any quality, so blunt that the handle is sometimes sharper than the blade and so uncomfortable to use. You really should just let it just die extinct.

Rick
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Personally, I think you are holding it backwards. :innocent:

finallyME
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Again, I would limit the cooking equipment to just a pot and a spoon or fork. A knife is a give in. This will give you more practice. Also, google "no utensil cooking" for ways to cook stuff without a pot, especially eggs, bacon and potatoes. Using a can for a pot is also a good idea, and cheap.

NCO
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Personally, I think you are holding it backwards. :innocent:

The red thing is the handle, yes? If so, I'd hold it the right way, if there ever was a right way to hold a mora...

Sarge47
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Sarge- from what I've heard around here boy scouts is completely different than it was before. Anyways my uncle always teaches me stuff.

The only thing I've ever gotten from a yard sale is a mountain bike for $5. all the other stuff is just toys around here.The Scouts are only going to be as good as the people in it! I vote for a complete incursion by outdoor minded people to wrest the reigns of leadership away from those lamos & take control! :sneaky2: All that being said, why don't you ask your uncle to teach you about utensils then?

Don't give up on Yard, Garage, & Rummage Sales as you never know what's going to pop-up from time to time. As the end of the School year draws near I always check out the ones around the Campus of the University here. I even have a hard plastic Kelty water bottle there that someone threw away! I gave it a really good cleaning with soap & bleach & have used it for the last 3 years! I see tents for sale all of the time & have way more than I can use. My son spent $5 on 3 great sleeping bags. :cool2:

crashdive123
10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Chrs - if you use some sort of can for a pot, just remember that many of them have a plastic liner. Sometimes it is difficult to see. Even soda cans have a plastic coating on the inside. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24qRLjnKT2Y

Chrs
10-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Aren't cans made out of aluminum? that's bad for you.

Rick
10-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Some cans are. Aluminum is the most abundant metal on the plant. It's about 8% of the earth's crust. It can't be too bad for you since we're exposed to it day in and day out.

Sarge47
10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Aren't cans made out of aluminum? that's bad for you.Not near as bad as going without food & water; & you didn't answer my question about your uncle! :cool2:

Chrs
10-29-2009, 10:19 PM
yeah,sorry, I didn't really get that whole part...

finallyME
10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Aluminum has been shown to not cause Alzheimers. But if it is aluminum, then for sure it has a plastic liner (this only goes for cans with food or drink in it). If you still don't believe the data, then buy anodized aluminum. Anodizing keeps it from reacting with any extra ions and stuff.

But, most cans are either steel or tin.

Old GI
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
A mess kit

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2420_1.jpg

and a spoon-fork combo

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2427_1.jpg

and your knife

http://www.maanpuolustusyhtio.fi/tuotekuvat/keski/2403_1.jpg

That is all you can ever need for cooking and eating.

Are those Army-issue?