PDA

View Full Version : Canteen cup cooking

Matt86
10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Lately i have been trying to master the art of canteen cup cooking. Some of the things i have made are ramen (NO WAY! LOL!) with tuna, rice flavored with beef bullion and i added slices of dried salami i roasted over the fire and last but not least powdered eggs. I have also made something sort of like a cornbread pancake on the bottom of my canteen cup. I turned it upside down while it was over the canteen cup stove and i used the bottom as a small skillet. Any one else into canteen cup cooking and if so what do you like to make?

crashdive123
10-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I have not cooked in mine other than teas/coffee, Ramen noodles, and heating water for to reconstitue a dehydrated meal.

Matt86
10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I have not cooked in mine other than teas/coffee, Ramen noodles, and heating water for to reconstitue a dehydrated meal.

green tea by any chance? i have some packets of it in my food kit. Thats about the only tea i have tried that i like hot. I want to try some of the blue berry stuff.

finallyME
10-23-2009, 11:47 PM
You got to try ramen with smoked oyster. Oh yeah!

Canteen Shop (http://www.canteenshop.com/)

Anyways, this guy does a lot of canteen cup cooking. If you want to do more boiling water and reconstituting, I have another recommendation.

Matt86
10-23-2009, 11:55 PM
You got to try ramen with smoked oyster. Oh yeah!

Canteen Shop (http://www.canteenshop.com/)

Anyways, this guy does a lot of canteen cup cooking. If you want to do more boiling water and reconstituting, I have another recommendation.

OH!! thats the guy i watched on youtube a while back! What was the other recommendation?

Ken
10-24-2009, 07:37 PM
I started doing that about 40 years ago. Today, I kinda' prefer a small titanium pot.

Mertell
10-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't use a "canteen" cup, but a stainless cup with lid. (24 oz.)
In this I cook many things, but my favorite is Lipton cup-a-soup.
Add a some extra noodles like (ring macaroni). Or rice. Maybe some dried veggies.
Breast of ruffed grouse is nice.
A meal fit for a King.

-Mert

finallyME
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM
OH!! thats the guy i watched on youtube a while back! What was the other recommendation?

This method, like I said earlier is basically boiling water and then pouring the water into a bag that has dehydrated food. It doesn't matter how you boil the water, so a canteen cup can be used to boil the water. You also don't have to clean up afterwards. Here is a link.

Trailcooking (http://www.trailcooking.com/)

Matt86
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
This method, like I said earlier is basically boiling water and then pouring the water into a bag that has dehydrated food. It doesn't matter how you boil the water, so a canteen cup can be used to boil the water. You also don't have to clean up afterwards. Here is a link.

Trailcooking (http://www.trailcooking.com/)

Thanks! ill check that out

Matt86
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I started doing that about 40 years ago. Today, I kinda' prefer a small titanium pot.

I wanted a small titanium pot...but the ti-lit one i orderd was out of stock and i cant find it any place online.

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Not sure where in SE Georgia you are, but probably not too far from me - Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Army/Navy Surplus - just a few options that might be near you.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Not sure where in SE Georgia you are, but probably not too far from me - Dicks Sporting Goods, Sports Authority, Army/Navy Surplus - just a few options that might be near you.

The closest dicks that i know of is in augusta..thats about 4-ish hours away. Im about 45 min from the florida line. The closest "big" city is valdosta. Sometimes im forced to drive for hours or wait on a internet order. I havent found a good outdoor outfitter in my area...and i have been looking for a while.

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Here's some different titanium camp cookwear from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Asporting%2Ck%3Atitanium+cookwar e&page=1&keywords=titanium+cookware&ie=UTF8&qid=1256515197

Matt86
10-25-2009, 08:05 PM
The Snow Peak Titanium Mini Solo Cook Set looks like the ti-lite mug i was after. Ill probably end up getting that when i have the funds. THANKS CRASH!!!

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 08:10 PM
That's just one link I pulled up. You may want to shop around, check out prices and shipping costs before you make a decision.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
shoot yeah...i have to save money whenever possible!

Rick
10-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Matt - What kind of stove are you using? The reason I ask is because the size of the stove needs to somewhat match up with the size of the pot. For example, you probably don't want a 2 quart pot on an alcohol beer can stove.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a little canteen cup stove as of now..its the type with no bottom so its realy just a stand that you sit the cup on. You are supposed to use trioxane fuel bars. But usualy i use a fire and coals.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
The closest dicks that i know of is in augusta..thats about 4-ish hours away. Im about 45 min from the florida line. The closest "big" city is valdosta. Sometimes im forced to drive for hours or wait on a internet order. I havent found a good outdoor outfitter in my area...and i have been looking for a while.

Yeah I know where he is. He would probably have to go to Macon (in Georgia) to find anything decent. Although there used to be a Surplus store in Valdosta. Don't know if it still there anymore or not. It was in the "Old City" part of town.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Yeah I know where he is. He would probably have to go to Macon (in Georgia) to find anything decent. Although there used to be a Surplus store in Valdosta. Don't know if it still there anymore or not. It was in the "Old City" part of town.

That place went under a few years ago..Southern Salvage was the name i think. Its a shame..they had some good stuff..theres a surplus store in tifton but its not much to speak of.

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I graduated from Valdosta State (took my classes on base though) and opened an office there in '98 a couple of blocks from the campus.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 08:56 PM
I graduated from Valdosta State (took my classes on base though) and opened an office there in '98 a couple of blocks from the campus.

Ahhh good old VSU..What type of office did you open up?

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Sears - Termite & Pest Control.

Rick
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
An exterminator. Who'd of thunk it.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/1robots-gal-terminator.jpg

Matt86
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Sears - Termite & Pest Control.

Ah i see. If you havnt been back in a while you are probably going to be shocked at how much that place has grown.

crashdive123
10-25-2009, 09:11 PM
@Matt86 - Now I just pass through from time to time.

@Rick - In my best Arnold voice Da bugz - dey must all be terminated. Money back guarantee - Ahl be bock.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-25-2009, 09:13 PM
That place went under a few years ago..Southern Salvage was the name i think. Its a shame..they had some good stuff..theres a surplus store in tifton but its not much to speak of.

That's the place!! So sad to hear it is gone.It was a genuine military surplus store. Most Surplus stores today(at least that I have seen) aren't so much surplus stores as stores that sell stuff no one else has or wants for the most part.

Matt86
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
That's the place!! So sad to hear it is gone.It was a genuine military surplus store. Most Surplus stores today(at least that I have seen) aren't so much surplus stores as stores that sell stuff no one else has or wants for the most part.

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/archivesearch/local_story_245032234.html

9th paragraph from the top...atleast they are saving the building.

hoosierarcher
10-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Tea, coffee, soups, oatmeal,poached eggs and heating canned or dehydrated foods. Which isn't really cooking.
The pocket cooker is a great stove for use with a canteen cup or billy can.

Old GI
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
What's a canteen cup?

crashdive123
10-26-2009, 08:48 AM
What's a canteen cup?

It's that thing you used to shave out of.:lol:

Beo
10-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I have done alot of canteen cup cooking, and even used a tin boiler which is pretty much the same thing. You can cook up some really good stews in a canteen cup, I have done ramon noodles too, a nice stew with potatoe chunks, peas, corn, onions, carrot chunks and meat cubes. Cook for about an hour after browning meat over open fire. I have thrown in jerky and rice and peas, onions, corn and carrots and made a hasty stew that way. Serves about two or one really hungry person. There are a ton of things you can cook in canteen cup or tin boiler.
Ranger Pudding is easily made too and really good.
Beo,

Mischief
10-26-2009, 09:19 AM
I have fried fish chunks in an arctic ss canteen cup.
If you are just heating water the ti stuff is good,any real cooking go with ss

Mischief

Beo
10-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Fish... Awe yukie crap... hate fish anything, stinks and taste bad to me. Fish chunks makes me wanna blow chunks... lol... just my opinion.
Beo,

Old GI
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
It's that thing you used to shave out of.:lol:

Only when I was in the field with the "real" Army.

Matt86
10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
I have done alot of canteen cup cooking, and even used a tin boiler which is pretty much the same thing. You can cook up some really good stews in a canteen cup, I have done ramon noodles too, a nice stew with potatoe chunks, peas, corn, onions, carrot chunks and meat cubes. Cook for about an hour after browning meat over open fire. I have thrown in jerky and rice and peas, onions, corn and carrots and made a hasty stew that way. Serves about two or one really hungry person. There are a ton of things you can cook in canteen cup or tin boiler.
Ranger Pudding is easily made too and really good.
Beo,

The stew you are talking about made me hungry...sounds good!!!!! I gotta keep that in mind when im out overnight again.