PDA

View Full Version : Man's Best Friend.........with benefits?

Beo
11-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Dude now you wanna lay with a dog in the winter, beastiality is a big no no in the wilderness... :D :D Anywho... lol... a dog can be a great companion and an aid when hunting but also a hinderance when hunting, and your gonna have to feed the dog.

SemperParatus
11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Sometimes a dog needs to growl and bark like the hounds from hell and sometimes it's best if they just nudge you gently to alert you and remain silent while you do your thing. It's a rare dog that is smart enough to know the difference. Everybody has their preferences for breeds but the bonding is what's important. I've had a lot of dogs in my 59 years and off hand I can think of four that tried hard to anticipate what I expected of them and deliver. Each was a different breed than the others. It's the bonding and mutual respect that makes the difference. Not all dogs can accept that. Not all people can either.

trax
11-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I like dogs too much to wish that on them.

RobertRogers
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Dogs throw alot of animal heat. Nothing wrong with snuggling up to one when it is cold.

carcajou garou
11-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Definetly not a St Bernard, I had one (great dog) but they are not a foraging dog, don't get to be that size without a constant food source.
If I had my choice it would be in the Husky line, but a caution here...
I and the dog would go for proper training, more for me than it.. an uncontrolled dog is dangerous in the bush.
That being said, it is a lot in the temperament of both in relating to each other.
I have seen horror stories of dogs left alone, mosquito bit, vermin infested so know how to take care of your dog...
Don't go with one if you can't take care of it...loyalty goes both ways, the dog supplying the most... don't let it down.

jose lobo
11-06-2007, 07:08 PM
i would say a Siberian husky,, they are very smart, and dont eat much, they are good hunters, and very quite(light)..i lived 3 winters(high mountains) in the wild, and my husky saved my life more that a few times. and that is not an exaggeration.

unfortnality, there is not much meat on a Siberian husky,, so you are not as inclined to eat it. not like a plumb lab,,yummy.

dilligaf2u2
11-07-2007, 01:22 AM
I lost my camping partner (Buck) a couple weeks ago. He was a Doxie Fox Terrier mix. My pound puppy. I can not go into how or why!

I went on a 2 week mid November trip last year. Buck would bring me ground squarls a couple times a day. One morming I heard him raising dickens. He had a small Elk pinned in the trees and the little sh*t would not let it out till I called him off. I was afraid the elk would kill him. But he was determaned we would be having elk steaks for dinner.

Warmth, a friend, a companion, and my clown, will be missed.

Don

Ps the pics are of TDW(The Dear Wife) and my camping, her way, with our mutts. I never took a camera with me when I go out alone with buck. Wish I had!http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/246647.3c7d19dafb5/editor

dilligaf2u2
11-07-2007, 01:23 AM
Pice of Buck can be found here!

http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/246647.3c7d19dafb5/editor

marberry
11-08-2007, 08:38 PM
i have a standard schnauzer with European bloodlines that i have raised from a pup and he's continues to surprise me with his intelligence. schnauzers are not barkers so none of that problem with me and a few times iv looked up from the fire to see him dragging a quail or grouse (even a turkey once) in almost perfect condition , saving me the trouble of hunting for dinner. My friends standard once killed a wolf single handedly so i think they are fairly good at defending you/themselves. Male Standards (European , American are smaller sue to inbreeding) grow to 70 pounds and live for 20-25 years. though huskys have always been my favorite for outdoor dogs theres alot to be said for Airedale terriers , there about as intelligent as they come for there size (a little bigger then Standard schnauzers) and have the greatest personalities i have ever seen , they can try your patients though , they are superb hunters as well as pointers.

Beo
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
My friends standard once killed a wolf single handedly so i think they are fairly good at defending you/themselves.

Sorry hard to believe, not saying it can't be done (insert cough) but I doubt it. Another good sporting dog is the Irish Wolfhound, big azz dog but it'll protect you when the shi* hits the fan :D I had one till I got married, now I got a yellow lab and he's great, and a yellow lab/shepherd mix she is terrific :D

Sarge47
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Saw a Chiuaua kill a Great Dane once.:eek: Little sucker got stuck in the Dane's throat Cross-ways! Go Taco Bell!:rolleyes:

Beo
11-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Chiuaua the ex had choked to death on a piece of rice :D stuck him on a spit and had late night snack :D

marberry
11-08-2007, 09:47 PM
lol well i wasnt there so i wouldnt know , it might have been a sick old wolf , most likely since he caught it alone .