PDA

View Full Version : Simon Kenton

pilgrim
11-06-2007, 03:06 AM
Out of everyone in history, Simon Kenton has to be my favorite. If anyone gets a chance i recomend you read "the frontiersman" (Im sure some of you have). Its a true story about a guy who takes to the wilderness as a young man and lives off the land, lives with and also fights the indians, and at one point survives for four days in the middle of winter with nothing, not even clothing.

corndog-44
11-06-2007, 03:19 AM
I read it. Interesting book.

Sarge47
11-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Out of everyone in history, Simon Kenton has to be my favorite. If anyone gets a chance i recomend you read "the frontiersman" (Im sure some of you have). Its a true story about a guy who takes to the wilderness as a young man and lives off the land, lives with and also fights the indians, and at one point survives for four days in the middle of winter with nothing, not even clothing.

Great book. I read it many years ago, several times. I like Kenton better than Boone as his capture by the Indians was a lot more rougher. That guy was tough!

Beo
11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I'll take D. Boone, there's a great book called "BOONE" all about his life from childhood to his death. Or I read alot about the French & Indian War as I love that time period the best. Not the war but the way of life for the frontiersmen. Also the true story on Liver Eat'n Johnson.

pilgrim
11-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Kenton and been were actually friends, and kenton saved boones life at one point in time.

STB
11-06-2007, 06:44 PM
another very good book i read was lonesome lake, this kid at the age of 18 i think went to bella colla in bc and walked for a couple of days. And then lived there. Forever. Its a pretty good book id recommend it to anyone.
andrew

Sarge47
11-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Dan'l reminds me a lot of the type of people that we have here on the site. Loners who want very little to do with civilization. The reason Boone lost a lot of family members & friends to the Native-Americans was because every time he'd stop movin' and build him a cabin along came lots of people to join him, and he didn't care for that. So up he'd go into dangerous lands.

Kenton was the opposite. He put down roots and liked civilization in general. (Dunno if he'd feel the same way today!) He had a "Christian conversion" at one point in his life and hung his trusty rifle over his fireplace and replaced it with a walking staff, never to kill another man, white or red, again. In his frontier days the indians called him "The man who's gun is always loaded" as he could re-load really fast. Like Boone, he was captured and adopted into a "native-American tribe". But un-like Dan'l, his adoption was rescinded. He was paraded during his captivity from village to village enduring "Gauntlet after Gauntlet" as he approached each one. He was knocked senseless time & time again more often as not. He had befriended a British officer who managed to get him out of the clutches of his captors and finally allowed Simon to escape. From that day forward the indians/Native Americans called him "Cut-ta-ho-tha" or "The Condemned Man" After the battle that killed Indian Chief Tecumseh, Kenton was asked to identify the chief's body. He deliberately pointed to the wrong corpse, knowing that it would be mutilated by souvenier hunters cutting parts off the body. Kenton was a very intriging individual.

Beo
11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Actually I take mine back, Boone and Kenton (found my book Frontiersmen BTW) are great men no doubt, but I'll take the unknown guy who trek'ed it out on his own and hacked his life out in wilderness and just lived his own way, trading with the Native Americans and trapping and hunting, and living a good life. Surely there were guys like that that we never heard of. No not Jeramiah Johnson either, although he works for me as well, :D:D:D