PDA

View Full Version : FAL or L1A1 Rifles

TomChemEngineer
10-17-2009, 08:54 PM
I did a search on here and came up with nothing, so I am wondering if anybody on here has either the FN/FAL or the L1A1 rifles? These are the 7.62x51 units. I shot a friend's, and really liked it. Any information on what's up with the different parts gun manufacturers/ assemblers, who to avoid, is there a preference between the parts/ assembled guns versus the armory-made units, etc?
I know the M1A1 or AR-10 or a number of other battle rifles shoot the 7.62x51, so opinions of those others are solicited as well.
If there is already a thread going, please point me there.
Thanks.

SARKY
10-18-2009, 01:02 PM
When I decided to get a battle rifle, my choices wer the FAL, HK-91 and the M-1A. Of the 3 the M-1a was the most expensive although it was the most accurate followed by the FAL and the HK. The HK was the most dependable. I went with the HK. I have since gotten a SOCOM16 which I love and it is damm accurate as well! I one thing I liked about the FAL is the adjustable gas regulator.

glockcop
10-18-2009, 08:57 PM
AR10 is more accurate than a stock M1A1 in my experience. Both can be "tweeked" into ultra accurate rifles. I am speaking only about bone stock rifles. I have never found the FAL to be any where near as accurate as the M1A1 or AR10. The FAL's are dead nuts reliable IMO, and so are the M1A1 and AR10. Pick what you like and you will be served well with any of the three. My next rifle will in all probability be an RRA LAR-8 from Rock River Arms. They are fantasticly reliable and super accurate. They take both metric or inch FAL mags:). Life is good. Best.

rebel
10-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm interested in the Remington R-25 in 308. Cabela's got'em on sale.

glockcop
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Never shot the R-25 from Rem but with Bushmaster/DPMS technology you can't go wrong. I'm pretty sure Rem had DPMS build that rifle for them. I could be mistaken but I think that is accurate. I know for sure that Bushmaster had a hand in their R-15. Best.

rebel
10-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Never shot the R-25 from Rem but with Bushmaster/DPMS technology you can't go wrong. I'm pretty sure Rem had DPMS build that rifle for them. I could be mistaken but I think that is accurate. I know for sure that Bushmaster had a hand in their R-15. Best.

Thanks for the info Glockcop.

glockcop
10-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Glad to offer some info. Take care.

Kamiyama
10-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Hello,
I have done a great deal of training, gunsmith and teaching with the FN/FAL or the L1A1 rifles for the past 16 years.
If you have a Q please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Ralph
DMTTofD

rebel
10-23-2009, 09:25 PM
At one time I wanted an L1A1. I heard they were not that good. I'd still like to have one to determine that for myself.

Kamiyama
10-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Hmmmm the L1A1 is a awesome rifle.. to be honest I have never seen any FAL that was not awesome.. other than cheap made ones by some America makers.. and this was mainly the parts they used.

It is truly hard to beat the FAL for the awesome energy of the .308 round in a semi auto battle rifle.. the magazines are cheap.. well made.. and lots of them.. the parts are easy to clean and work on.. easy to field strip.. easy to shoot.. easy just about everything.

To bad they are higher in cost these days.. in the early 90's you could make one for around $300..

BTW I love the DSA rifles.. and the standard one is awesome.. just as it is.. no changes.. needed.

Ralph
DMTTofD

Kamiyama
10-24-2009, 02:15 AM
The HK-91 and the M-1A are awesome too.
I dislike the way the M-1A is made.. or it is not biomechanical balanced for me..
The HK-91 is way way to much fuss to clean.. for me.. but feels great to shoot and is quality.

I have also trained with the AR-10.. hmmm didn't like it at all.

I have had these too..
I went with the FAL.. never turned back..

Ralph
DMTTofD

glockcop
10-27-2009, 09:37 AM
at One Time I Wanted An L1a1. I Heard They Were Not That Good. I'd Still Like To Have One To Determine That For Myself.

It Is Not That They Aren't Good. They Are. But What They Are Not Is Very Accurate. M1 A1 And AR10 Have It All Over Them In That Regard. The Fal Has Never Been Known For It's Accuracy. It Is Loosely Built For Reliability And Head Space Is Too Generous And Throat Too Long for Great Accuracy. Their Accuracy Can Be "GOOD" (aka Combat Acceptable) But Never "GREAT". You Will Not See Them At Camp Perry Or Anywhere Else Where "close" Is Not Good Enough. Best.

Beo
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I gotta cosign on that glockcop.
Although I do like the FN/FAL if you don't know it is a 7.62x51mm Nato self-loading, selective fire rifle produced by the Belgian armaments manufacturer Fabrique National de Herstal (FN) and have had some good training with it although I prefer the M4 over just about everything.

glockcop
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I gotta cosign on that glockcop.
Although I do like the FN/FAL if you don't know it is a 7.62x51mm Nato self-loading, selective fire rifle produced by the Belgian armaments manufacturer Fabrique National de Herstal (FN) and have had some good training with it although I prefer the M4 over just about everything.

Yes, I am very versed on the FAL. My lack of accuracy report on the FAL is not from literature or internet sources. It is from real work application with the FAL rifle. I have used just about all that is available in that class of rifle at one time or another. I also prefer the M4/AR10 platform to just about everything else out there. Surgical accuracy and utter reliability is kinda important to me :). Best.

Beo
10-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Glockcop the info on the FN/FAL was those readers who weren't versed on it, so I gave them a tid bit of info, I was pretty sure you knew and used it before.

glockcop
10-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Glockcop the info on the FN/FAL was those readers who weren't versed on it, so I gave them a tid bit of info, I was pretty sure you knew and used it before.

Gotcha, Brother. A little side note is that the FAL is little more than an enhanced AK design. We all know about the AK's dismal at best accuracy and the FAL is more of the same. Not to knock it. Like I said, it is a good combat rifle. It is currently being fazed out for better designs by several NATO countries. Some of the major players that dropped it are Australia, U.K., Isreal, and Ireland. Be safe.

LudwigVan
11-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I love the M1A vs HK91/G3 vs FAL/L1A1 vs AR10 vs (insert other military style .308 caliber autoloader here) debate.

I really like the M1A, but I'm leaning towards the FAL/L1A1 because of cost (cheap mags and spare parts) as well as simplicity and reliability that can't be beat. The downside is that they aren't super accurate, the iron sights they come with suck, but I guess you could replace those. I don't want an AR10, I hate direct impingement gas systems and would rather avoid getting one.

However, LWRC makes one called the REPR (rapid engagement precision rifle). Like an AR-10 with a short stroke piston action, comes with Magpul stock, pistol grip, sights...all around awesome:
http://www.lwrifles.com/Products/REPR/tabid/85/Default.aspx
I haven't even been able to find out how much one of these bad mother lovers would cost, based on some of thier other rifles I imagine it's well over $2k...