PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Craziness

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Well my name is Jeff and I'm 16. For the past few months I've been restless and unable to concentrate in college,(early I know) sleep at all, and do anything really. I couldn't stop thinking all the time about what I wanted to do with my life and after a lot of thinking I still wasn't clear. So I got to thinking what I wanted to do right now. Then this idea popped into my head. To walk. For however far I want or for however long. Basically backpack across the country. Now please don't just shoot me down or call me a stupid teenager because I know that's what this sounds like. I just want to know what I need to do to prepare for this. Like what physical stuff I need to do to get in good enough shape, what stuff I actually need to carry with me, and all the necessary skills. So please don't bash me, just some advice would be great.

Thanks.

Rick
10-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Welcome home, first. I don't think you're stupid at all. Through hiking any of America's trails is an incredible challenge and personal accomplishment. You don't have to be in perfect physical condition but being in sound condition certainly helps. However, you'll encounter folks from all age groups and in all sorts of shape (round is a shape, too). If I were you, I would focus on the major trails as a goal.

The first thing you can do on the forum is post an introduction. The more we know about your knowledge and experience the more we can help you. You can use this sticky as a template for your intro.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

You'll need both knowledge and experience if you really want to do this and you can take a year or two and gain that experience. You certainly don't want to start out on such an ambitious task ill prepared.

Then you can target some really great trails. Places like the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Coast Trail, the Coast to Coast Trail or thousands of trails that cover hundreds of miles if you'd rather do that. There is a LOT of fun and adventure just waiting for those that know how to do it safely.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-17-2009, 08:34 AM
We don't "Bash" people that are being sensible,asking good solid questions. Now if you had come in asking "what is the best knife I just saw one that has 104 blades and I think I could survive 104 years with just that knife and oh gosh can you guys tell me everything I need to know to help me survive in the wilderness" Then we probably wouldn't have taken you very seriously. LOL We would've talked to you but not took you too seriously.
Were you ever in Boy Scouts? What have you done in the woods? These are the kinds of questions you need to ponder when you make your introduction. You will get some good advice here--- Opinionated at times ---But good advice nonetheless.

Sourdough
10-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forum........"Just Do IT"

rwc1969
10-17-2009, 11:01 AM
That's a tough question to answer. are you planning on working along the way? Do you have a lot of money to take along? Are you considering "roughing it" the whole way with little or no interaction with society? Have you considered the amount of time it will take or are willing to invest in this pursuit?

wildWoman
10-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me! You'll get into shape as you do it. If you haven't done much backpacking before and are unsure about what gear you need, why don't you start right now with some weekend hikes in your area. Some camping stores also rent out equipment - if you have no clue about what to bring, start with borrowing or renting different makes of tents, backpacks and sleeping bags to learn first-hand what the pros and cons of the different types are and especially what you personally like.
Start out with some fair-weather day and weekend hikes and after you become comfortable with that and your gear, do an overnighter when it's miserable: rain or snow.
These are things you can get started on today and really should if you're serious. Keep doing it until spring or so and also use that time to figure out your route for your big hike (Rick's ideas above are excellent!). You need to practice, that's the only way to really learn. The forum and talking with people can only give you a few ideas but is in no way preparation.

Money can be earned easily as you go if you're willing to work. Also check out www.wwoof.org for getting food and shelter all over the place; this is a reputable organization.
You don't need much money for something like this, just the drive to go do it, and some half-decent gear (stuff isn't necessarily good because it's expensive - many people who really get around and do stuff do it with old, worn out equipment. You can generally recognize the weekend warrior by their glitzy expensive gear.)

And always, always let somebody responsible know where you go and when you expect to be back, bring along your cell phone (if it works where you're doing this). That's being smart and well-prepared.

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm a 16 year old male.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Student

By the end of this semester I will have completed the EMS First Responder class. (for whatever it's worth)
The Nature of Your Prior Experience....shoot I dunno. I've camped a few times with my parents when I was younger. I don't really think that counts though.

Your Level of Experience - novice definitely

Your Preparedness Planning - Not sure what type and level mean.

Your Interests and Hobbies - not really anything to do with survival, but here goes anyway. Anything with an engine really. I'm currently rebuilding the engine in my car. I can't think of much else actually...

Your Membership and Learning Objectives - Any good names for all the basic survival stuff, skills that are necessary, and anything in between.

Ole WV Coot
10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Guess I would first consider an adult, relative or someone you really trust to go with you. I go alone but for safety I prefer company even on short trips.

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 02:48 PM
That's a tough question to answer. are you planning on working along the way? Do you have a lot of money to take along? Are you considering "roughing it" the whole way with little or no interaction with society? Have you considered the amount of time it will take or are willing to invest in this pursuit?

Yes I would plan on working along the way. When this semester is over I'll start working with whatever I can get, and that should be enough. (relatively) And I'm thinking that this will take around a year or more.

Sounds like a good plan to me! You'll get into shape as you do it. If you haven't done much backpacking before and are unsure about what gear you need, why don't you start right now with some weekend hikes in your area. Some camping stores also rent out equipment - if you have no clue about what to bring, start with borrowing or renting different makes of tents, backpacks and sleeping bags to learn first-hand what the pros and cons of the different types are and especially what you personally like.
Start out with some fair-weather day and weekend hikes and after you become comfortable with that and your gear, do an overnighter when it's miserable: rain or snow.
These are things you can get started on today and really should if you're serious. Keep doing it until spring or so and also use that time to figure out your route for your big hike (Rick's ideas above are excellent!). You need to practice, that's the only way to really learn. The forum and talking with people can only give you a few ideas but is in no way preparation.

Money can be earned easily as you go if you're willing to work. Also check out www.wwoof.org for getting food and shelter all over the place; this is a reputable organization.
You don't need much money for something like this, just the drive to go do it, and some half-decent gear (stuff isn't necessarily good because it's expensive - many people who really get around and do stuff do it with old, worn out equipment. You can generally recognize the weekend warrior by their glitzy expensive gear.)

And always, always let somebody responsible know where you go and when you expect to be back, bring along your cell phone (if it works where you're doing this). That's being smart and well-prepared.

Does anyone know if REI rents out equipment? Or another store similar to that that would? Cuz I know what stuff I would need. But I'm not sure what brands are well known for making good but not over priced equipment. I currently have nothing in the way of equipment so I figure I need that before I can go out and do anything really. And thanks for all the quick replies guys. (:

Guess I would first consider an adult, relative or someone you really trust to go with you. I go alone but for safety I prefer company even on short trips.

I would love to have someone come with me but my parents wouldn't (they just said so) and I don't have any relatives. So I'm not sure if I know anyone who could or would come with me.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Welcome MM! I now see why you chose the name "Motormouth". I was afraid it was because you just couldn't be quiet!! Just kidding, there's a lot of that that goes on here.
EMS first Responder, huh? That's a pretty good start, in "preparedness" IMO. Preparedness means steps you have taken to "prepare" for a disaster.Tornado, hurricane, Earthquake, Ice Storm,etc. Trying to make sure you have enough "supplies of all types" to deal with an Emergency. Food, Water, First Aid, and "incidentals"... Stuff like that.

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
As far as preparedness goes I'd say that my family is pretty relaxed and not really ready for much of anything. (me included) Part of it is where we live I think. Nothing happens here in NM. And I do talk a lot but I try to make a habit of keeping most stuff short and to the point now.

crashdive123
10-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello and welcome.

wildWoman
10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Just call up all of the camping stores in your area and ask if they rent out equipment. If none does, call again and explain what you're planning to do, that you'll be buying a whole set of gear but need to test it first, that might work. Then they see you as a potential big money spending customer.
Do your parents have some camping gear you could borrow for now? Or friends? The other thing is, some people go on major treks wearing sneakers, using blankets and a tarp. You don't really need much for just a day or weekend. Not suggesting you should do it that way, I just want to give you some ideas so you don't feel dependent on a mountain of high-tech equipment just to get started.
Also, if you come across something that looks okay in the classifieds or at a garage sale and that just sets you back a few dollars, you might want to buy it. Some outdoor clubs organize gear swaps where you can often pick up stuff at a reasonable price.

Rick
10-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Welcome home, again.

You might want to start reading through this sticky. It's not exactly geared toward what you want to do but there is a lot of basic information in it and will help you understand the types of things you need to be concerned about.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6837

You might also be interested in our book sticky. Another good source of information. There are a lot of really informative books that can help you and many are listed in this thread.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5483

There are some sticky's in the General Survival category that you will be interested in:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

BENESSE
10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Well my name is Jeff and I'm 16. For the past few months I've been restless and unable to concentrate in college,(early I know) sleep at all, and do anything really. I couldn't stop thinking all the time about what I wanted to do with my life and after a lot of thinking I still wasn't clear. So I got to thinking what I wanted to do right now. Then this idea popped into my head. To walk. For however far I want or for however long. Basically backpack across the country. Now please don't just shoot me down or call me a stupid teenager because I know that's what this sounds like. I just want to know what I need to do to prepare for this. Like what physical stuff I need to do to get in good enough shape, what stuff I actually need to carry with me, and all the necessary skills. So please don't bash me, just some advice would be great.

Thanks.

Before setting out on your own just yet why not consider joining the Sierra Club (or similar) and taking one of their outings/trips?

check out the site: http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/national/

With all the options they offer you're bound to find something that might appeal to you. You'll learn along the way, meet people on your wavelength and ultimately be better prepared to hoof it on your own.

Sarge47
10-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Learning anything requires listening to wise advice; now you need to follow Rick's & post at: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813 thanks! :cool2:

pocomoonskyeyes
10-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Learning anything requires listening to wise advice; now you need to follow Rick's & post at: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813 thanks! :cool2:

Sarge he already has. Here>>>>
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=162026#post162026

Sarge47
10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry dude, my bad. :cool2:

Sarge47
10-17-2009, 05:18 PM
1st, let's take a look at what Survival means & is, & is not! 1st, it's NOT the latest extreme sport! It's "life or death!" It's not a game, forget the dudes on TV like Grylls & Stroud, but listen to local adults who know their stuff! At 16 I don't know if you can get into the Boy Scouts or not, but try to find an Explorer Post! Any type of camping, even that with your folks is better than none at all! Do you have any equipment? Books? Videos? If so, list them.

Next, learn the medical stuff, that should be #1 on the list. Medical treatment is usually the 1st thing used in any true survival situation. You will use your medical kit far more than a big 'ole knife! Do you have a budget in mind? How much can you spend on books & outdoor items? Please note that I said "outdoor items" & not "survival items." Do you have a good quality backpack? Even an old one you used to use for textbooks a few years back is better than nothing. My advice is to 1st look into camping gear, you will find lists galore all over this site. Camping is what you do when everything goes good. Survival is what you do when it hits the fan! But it starts by learning to understand the outdoors! So 1st, find yourself a pack, then we'll help you decide what to put in it, deal? Remember, your available cash will help you decide which items you're going to get. Don't overlook Garage/Yard sales either; I've found some great stuff at really low prices there. Well, that should keep you busy for awhile, enjoy! :cool2:

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 05:35 PM
I've already got a pack. Good backpack my brother used when he backpacked across Europe.

Rick
10-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Not to get personal but you said you don't have any family other than your mother and father. Did I miss something?

If your brother has backpacked Europe then you have a very knowledgeable person to rely on. I'm sort of lost at this point on your situation.

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm sorry let me set this straight. I have 3 older brothers. Ages 30, 28, and 23. The youngest one is the one that had the pack. but currently he is in China teaching English and kind of missionary work. The second oldest is working 2 jobs and never has a chance for a break. And my oldest brother is not exactly the camping type. He's currently translating a huge book from Japanese to English. That's what he does. And this is kind of his huge break, so I can't take him away from it.

What my brother did was bicycling in England and camping on the road. (Just asked my mom) Not the sort of stuff I am going for.

Rick
10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Okay, I'm with you. Did your brother leave any other gear there that you might be able to use. Or...can you join him over the summer and do some camping with him in Japan? Lot's of possible options there.

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 07:16 PM
I already went to visit him once and it's really expensive so I don't think I can. But he left the following items.

A very nice bivy so I don't need to get a tent or anything. Also large enough to store my pack in.
Some rain proof pants.
Emergency blanket.
Sierra Designs jacket.
A nice bottle with a carabiner clip.
Ultralight first aid kit.
MSR pots.
And a little homemade stove made out of some quarter inch wire mesh stuff and half a Pepsi can with some holes in the side. I remember making it for him and it worked great. He said it was perfect too.
Waterproof matches.
Utensils.
Titanium cup.
And a can/bottle opener with a corkscrew.
And the fuel for the stove, which is methylated spirit.

So I've already got some nice gear. Not everything but a good start.

crashdive123
10-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Are you dropping out of college for your journey or just taking a break?

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Not dropping out. I'm gonna tough it out through the rest of this semester, and when it comes time for next semester I just wont register for classes. It's a community college too so it's not a big deal. And even better is that my parents are fully behind me.

Sarge47
10-17-2009, 07:36 PM
So, it looks good so far; check out these blogs, they should help.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=29

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/blog.php?b=101

Read & learn! :cool2:

Ken
10-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the Forums! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs060.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/)

Ken
10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry dude, my bad. :cool2:

You can always make up for your indiscretion by flogging yourself.

I'm told that when flogging oneself, technique is very important. So, maybe you should practice on Rick before you do your own penance.

Just sayin'. :innocent:

wildWoman
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Looks like you're good to go if you can score a sleeping bag! At least for some practice weekend hikes and the like. Have fun!

Motormouth
10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Any recommendations on a good sleeping bag? My parents say they will help me out with buying it. And I would like to get one that's good to around 10 or 20 degrees.

Sarge47
10-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Any recommendations on a good sleeping bag? My parents say they will help me out with buying it. And I would like to get one that's good to around 10 or 20 degrees.1st, stay away from down filling as it loses all of it's insulation when it get's wet. Answer these few questions:

Mummy bag or rectangular?

How much do you have to spend?

Will weight be a consideration?

If you want the best bang for the buck, check out this website as they have great savings on all kinds of camping & hiking gear!

www.sierratradingpost.com

I also noticed the lack of a compass in your list, do you have one? I would also look into a better quality stove; what type of boots do you have? I almost dread asking this, but what knives do you have? :cool2:

Motormouth
10-18-2009, 02:17 AM
1st, stay away from down filling as it loses all of it's insulation when it get's wet. Answer these few questions:

Mummy bag or rectangular?

How much do you have to spend?

Will weight be a consideration?

If you want the best bang for the buck, check out this website as they have great savings on all kinds of camping & hiking gear!

www.sierratradingpost.com

I also noticed the lack of a compass in your list, do you have one? I would also look into a better quality stove; what type of boots do you have? I almost dread asking this, but what knives do you have? :cool2:

I guess a mummy bag since that's the shape of my bivy sac. I'd like to stay under $250 but I don't know if that's possible. And I would prefer it to be pretty light as far as bags go.

I do have a compass. And I'll look into some other stoves. No boots yet but I'm going to look for them as well as a sleeping bag either tomorrow or monday at REI. And I've got some knives but the one I was gonna take with me is this one. It was in our shed out back that has any number of items to do with anything.

Rick
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Now, see? I'm all confused again. I thought you said you were 16. And you're in college?

Sarge47
10-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Knife looks good, I'd add a Victorinox Swiss Army knife for a pocket knife. What compass do you have? As for top quality sleeping bags for a lot less than you posted; check these out:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/319_Sleeping-Bags.html

That should help! :cool2:

pocomoonskyeyes
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Good basic knife design, Except for the notch cut out by the handle, but you should be OK as long as you don't try to pry any wood apart while Batonning wood.
Make sure you break in any boots you buy, well before you plan on using them for hiking. Otherwise your very first hike will be so miserable you won't want to try it again. Your Feet are very important when hiking.Your stomach(food and water) and feet and legs are the things that you really have to take care of. You will have to have enough calories and nutrition to carry you through the exercise you will be doing. You will have to have enough water to keep you hydrated sufficiently.Which brings me to another point. All I saw(on your list) was a bottle w/ carabiner clip and Titanium cup as far as water vessels. You are going to need something more to carry water. You will have to plan accordingly around that. There are all types of water containers that collapse,that aren't too much, cost-wise. Bladders and "Jugs" - both will work. I would suggest going to a campground first just so you can familiarize yourself with your equipment,and still be close enough that you won't get into any serious trouble. Kind of a trial run, You could do the same thing you would do each day on an actual trail. Pack it all up and move out hiking on a trail.Granted you would be going back to the same campsite each day. But it would be good practice in a fairly safe location. Plus if you got hurt while Training you would be close to help. This will help you get used to the routine of your hiking experience. I'm sure others will pitch in with other advice I may have overlooked,or even better options/advice than I have given. Sorry This is so long.

Motormouth
10-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Now, see? I'm all confused again. I thought you said you were 16. And you're in college?

Haha yeah I'm in college and 16. I was getting into too much trouble at my high school and it was way too easy so my parents and I decided to try college. It's possible at 16 but I almost got dropped halfway though due to some confusion.

Knife looks good, I'd add a Victorinox Swiss Army knife for a pocket knife. What compass do you have? As for top quality sleeping bags for a lot less than you posted; check these out:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/319_Sleeping-Bags.html

That should help! :cool2:

The compass is also my brothers and it looks something like this. http://www.mapcompass.co.uk/map_compass.jpg
Thanks for the link Sarge.

Good basic knife design, Except for the notch cut out by the handle, but you should be OK as long as you don't try to pry any wood apart while Batonning wood.
Make sure you break in any boots you buy, well before you plan on using them for hiking. Otherwise your very first hike will be so miserable you won't want to try it again. Your Feet are very important when hiking.Your stomach(food and water) and feet and legs are the things that you really have to take care of. You will have to have enough calories and nutrition to carry you through the exercise you will be doing. You will have to have enough water to keep you hydrated sufficiently.Which brings me to another point. All I saw(on your list) was a bottle w/ carabiner clip and Titanium cup as far as water vessels. You are going to need something more to carry water. You will have to plan accordingly around that. There are all types of water containers that collapse,that aren't too much, cost-wise. Bladders and "Jugs" - both will work. I would suggest going to a campground first just so you can familiarize yourself with your equipment,and still be close enough that you won't get into any serious trouble. Kind of a trial run, You could do the same thing you would do each day on an actual trail. Pack it all up and move out hiking on a trail.Granted you would be going back to the same campsite each day. But it would be good practice in a fairly safe location. Plus if you got hurt while Training you would be close to help. This will help you get used to the routine of your hiking experience. I'm sure others will pitch in with other advice I may have overlooked,or even better options/advice than I have given. Sorry This is so long.

Would some gallon size ziploc bags be good or are they more for when you don't really have anything else to use? And as far as boots go it looks like some have more ankle support than others, should that be a big factor when purchasing them? And that sounds like a good plan to test out everything I have while staying safe and close to help.

SARKY
10-18-2009, 12:56 PM
First, yes REI rents equipment
second, stay away from Serria club, having had dealing with their upper managment, they are hacks who don't put their money where their mouth is.
third, get youself a cheap large used pack (ALICE) and slowly increase the load and hike with it. This is the best way to work up not only your stamina but to also see what it is like to have a pack on your back all day. Before anyone jumps on me here, I know that an ALICE is not the best pack as far as comfort and load bearing, but it is a good practice pack as you can put a lot of stuff in it. When you get a pack (the pack) make sure it has a hydration bladder as this will make it easier to drink as you walk and hydration is the key.

Rick
10-18-2009, 03:58 PM
Alice packs are great! I love mine.

Rick
10-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, silly me. I thought there were credit requirements and SAT scores and such. Who knew?

wildWoman
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Any recommendations on a good sleeping bag? My parents say they will help me out with buying it. And I would like to get one that's good to around 10 or 20 degrees.

Check out www.mec.ca, they are Canadian and have excellent sleeping bags for a really good price. I really like their hybrid mummy bags: top is down-filled, bottom and hood synthetic filled. They are much lighter and pack better than pure synthetic filled ones while not being so susceptible to dampness. My partner and I both have a couple of them, use them lots and are happy.
The hybrid that's good to -12C (=10F) packs down to 10l volume, weighs 1.7 kg and is about CAN $140.- That's what I'd get.

Sarge47
10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Ok Motormouth, I've merged your threads, otherwise we'll have people responding to the same questions on both of them. 2nd, I personally stay away from down as I've heard too many horror stories about people being found froze to death in them when they got wet then froze. Also check on the shipping out of Canada. Might be a lot higher, then there's customs. Some of our members have complained about the cost & the wait to get the items. However, at the end of the day it's all up to you. My kid brother has a nice mummy bag that he bought from REI that he summited Mt. Kilimanjaro with & still has it. Whatever you do, choose wisely. Ken on here shops REI quite a bit & can probably give you more info. :cool2:

SARKY
10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
As far as bags go, if there is any chance of it getting wet, go with a synthetic fill bag. They dry faster and will still keep you warm even when wet.

crashdive123
10-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Thanks.

Well Jeff, I believe you when you say you are 16. Quite honestly that's about the only thing that you have posted that I believe. You said you were in college. You said you were getting into too much trouble in high school so decided to give college a try. You said you were not dropping out, but just weren't going to register next semester (that's dropping out btw). You said you are taking an EMS/First Responder course, yet don't seem to see the value in it. You say you are going to hike across the country and take about a year to do it. You also say that you are going to work along the way. Really? You say that you have no equipment and really don't know what you should get. You then produce a rather large equipment list that you own. You then ask about renting equipment at REI because you know what you need, but not what brands. You said you had no relatives other than your parents, and then three brothers magically appear.

Like I said - I believe you are 16 (doesn't matter if you are or not), but nothing else you have said is credible. Troll?

Ken
10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHc-yIAPbg

Motormouth
10-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Well Jeff, I believe you when you say you are 16. Quite honestly that's about the only thing that you have posted that I believe. You said you were in college. You said you were getting into too much trouble in high school so decided to give college a try. You said you were not dropping out, but just weren't going to register next semester (that's dropping out btw). You said you are taking an EMS/First Responder course, yet don't seem to see the value in it.

Yes I am in college. CNM to be precise. Central New Mexico community college. There's no commitment when going to a community college. So I would not be dropping out. And all my brothers before me have gone to their Senior year at high school and then gone to CNM or UNM. I am taking an EMS First Responder class, when I said "for whatever it's worth" I was referring to the question on the intro template that Rick said I should use. Here's the template link http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813 and this was the question I was answering, "Your Occupation (present and relevant past, such as military, technical, etc.)", I figured that the EMS course was relevant but I wasn't sure if it was relevant to anything I could use in the wilderness. It's mostly about medications and learning what is in the First Responder scope of practice and such.

You say you are going to hike across the country and take about a year to do it. You also say that you are going to work along the way. Really? You say that you have no equipment and really don't know what you should get. You then produce a rather large equipment list that you own.

And yes I plan to walk the country and work on the way. (yes I do realize that looking back on the way I said everything how it could look like I'm just BSing you guys) I honestly thought I had no equipment. I went in one of the sheds out back and found very little in the way of camping gear. So I asked my mom if we had anything. And she suggested to look in my brothers shed that was on the side of the property for my brothers gear he used when he was in Europe briefly. That's when all that gear appeared. I would even have a sleeping bag but he gave it away when he was there.

You then ask about renting equipment at REI because you know what you need, but not what brands. You said you had no relatives other than your parents, and then three brothers magically appear.

You would be amazed at how much one can learn on the internet. Especially on this forum. I learned very quickly what I would need. Especially after I found my brothers stuff and was told basically all I needed for a few days trip was a sleeping bag. And yes I really can see how saying I have no relatives but then having three brother appearing is kinda sketchy. But seeing as one is in China, the other is very, um how do I put this, strongly dislikes being outdoors, and the other is way to busy to even get a day off; I figured it wasn't relevant to mention them.

Like I said - I believe you are 16 (doesn't matter if you are or not), but nothing else you have said is credible. Troll?

No, not a troll. What would I have to gain by furthering this? Nothing. I can't change your mind but all I can say is I am not a troll. If I was going to troll I'd head over to /b/ or something. Once again I do realize how everything I have said seems very unrealistic and stupid and I apologize for all the confusion.

EDIT: Here is some more explanation. I'm 16. My parents are both over 60. They are physically not up to it. My brothers are 24, 29, and 31. (Just had birthdays, mom told me, I don't pay attention.) They left the house when I was 12. My 24 year old brother went away to Bible College when he was 20. Therefore they have not been a very big part of my life after my childhood. My dad says he's teh only one he knows that has had kids born in 3 decades. Pretty crazy eh? Mom says - "Teenagers do become enthusiastic about a new idea or interest and want to know all about it quickly." This was part of the reason why overnight, I knew the basics of what gear I needed, but not the brand. When I first thought of this, I was enthusiastic and thought I could just walk out the door. My mom tried to explain to me that I needed to prepare, but as a usual teenager I just figured she was being an "over protective mom". So I decided to look into what I needed to do to prepare for this. And I stumbled upon this forum. I immediately posted and was so excited I tried to summarize as much as I could into as little as possible. That's why I left out some details. Then I went back to my mom saying I knew I needed to prepare and that I would take as long as it took to get ready and have their approval. That's when I asked if we had some camping gear and she told me about my brothers stuff. I hope this has cleared up some of the confusion around me being legitimate and really wanting to do this.

oldsoldier
10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Not anything I can add to the wisdom already shared here. I am still learning myself. So all I can add is welcome to the forum and when you take your journey ba safe, have fun, make many good memories to enjoy the rest of your life,

pocomoonskyeyes
10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
MM I believe you are legit. I hope you learn all you need, and practice BEFORE you head out into anything that could cause problems - large or small. LOL I can identify with the desire to "Know it all-Right now" attitude. I did the same when I got into Survival as a teen. Couldn't find enough information fast enough. Had one book devoured before I could even find another one(Way before the internet).

finallyME
10-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I would say you need to learn a LOT before you go out. Just having equipment doesn't mean you know how to use it. There are a few forums that are dedicated to backpacking. I would suggest those sites instead of this one. This one is more towards survival, not backpacking. Yes, there is a difference. It is not that you can't use the info here on survival, but generally you want more backpacking specific info. I would look for sites that focus on "lightweight" backpacking, unless you like "heavyweight" stuff. Read a lot and start setting REAL goals. All you know you want to do is hike far. You might want to set an exact start/stop. Then you need to pick a route. You need to decide your time frame. If you plan to work on the way, your time frame will be blown. Do you want to hike roads or trails? etc. Also, you need to practice before you go. Camp in your backyard first, then a car camping site. Move up to an overnighter that includes hiking. When you are confident with the skills, move up to a month. After that, you should know what you need for a year.

Sarge47
10-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't know that you're a troll, but if you are you're not doing anything wrong so far. I do, how ever, find it interesting that a 16 year old has a mother over 60. How old was she when you were born? Also, FinallyME has given you some great advice, use it! Sarge clear! :cool2:

Motormouth
10-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I would say you need to learn a LOT before you go out. Just having equipment doesn't mean you know how to use it. There are a few forums that are dedicated to backpacking. I would suggest those sites instead of this one. This one is more towards survival, not backpacking. Yes, there is a difference. It is not that you can't use the info here on survival, but generally you want more backpacking specific info. I would look for sites that focus on "lightweight" backpacking, unless you like "heavyweight" stuff. Read a lot and start setting REAL goals. All you know you want to do is hike far. You might want to set an exact start/stop. Then you need to pick a route. You need to decide your time frame. If you plan to work on the way, your time frame will be blown. Do you want to hike roads or trails? etc. Also, you need to practice before you go. Camp in your backyard first, then a car camping site. Move up to an overnighter that includes hiking. When you are confident with the skills, move up to a month. After that, you should know what you need for a year.

That's certainly enough to keep me busy for quite awhile. I think that tonight I can practice out back using my dads sleeping pad and bag.

I don't know that you're a troll, but if you are you're not doing anything wrong so far. I do, how ever, find it interesting that a 16 year old has a mother over 60. How old was she when you were born? Also, FinallyME has given you some great advice, use it! Sarge clear! :cool2:

Just asked her and she says she was 43 when she found out and 44 when I was born. Contrary to what she says I firmly believe I was an "Oh s***" baby. I remember one day at school where a kid asked if she was my grandma. When I responded no he asked if she was my aunt. I think I've got the oldest parents compared to a kid my age.

Sarge47
10-19-2009, 06:09 PM
That's certainly enough to keep me busy for quite awhile. I think that tonight I can practice out back using my dads sleeping pad and bag.

Just asked her and she says she was 43 when she found out and 44 when I was born. Contrary to what she says I firmly believe I was an "Oh s***" baby. I remember one day at school where a kid asked if she was my grandma. When I responded no he asked if she was my aunt. I think I've got the oldest parents compared to a kid my age.1st, remember that FinallyME is a Scoutmaster & only has good advice, 2nd, my condolances to your mother.:innocent:

wildWoman
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
My partner's mother gave birth to him at age 45...seems to make for very cool parents. His also let him off the leash around your age already and he went travelling abroad alone - something other kids can only dream of.

Some books you may enjoy (maybe you read them already) are: "A walk across America" and "The walk west", both by Peter Jenkins. He hiked across the States along roads, working and living with people along the way. "The Great Divide" by Stephen Pern is about his hike along wilderness trails and off-trail from Mexico to Canada.
Maybe good to compare the pros and cons of highway versus trail / wilderness hiking.

Most of your reading you can do in your tent on your weekend hikes now...only way to find out what works for you and what doesn't is to do it.
People tend to get sidetracked into becoming great theoretical experts on things - much easier to read up on camping in the rain while sitting on the couch, as opposed to being out there, camping in the rain (I'm not saying you're one of them - but they are out there in scary numbers while the people who actually get off their butts and walk their talk are rather few).

Motormouth
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm reading "A Walk Across America" right now. About halfway through. And I'm gonna start reading "The Tracker" next.

crashdive123
10-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Well Motormouth - if I am wrong, I will extend my apologies to you. Many have offered you good advice. The most critical bit I believe (if you want help from others on an internet forum) is to develop a plan - a detailed plan - share as much of it as possible and then ask specific questions. Without that, the answers you get may not be meaningful.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm right there with ya' MM. My Mom was 42 when I was born and turned 43 exactly a month later. I know what you mean about the silly questions. My Sister is 18 years older than me and my Brother 12 years older than me. One time when visiting my sister one of her acquaintances, (who barely knew my Sister) ran into the 3 of us. She said "How sweet 3 generations of the Family. This must be your son(me) and his Grand Mother!!" She got just a little embarrassed. It is somewhat like being an only child, really. Yeah I have siblings but for all intents and purposes they were gone when I was growing up.

All these people who have replied to your post have given you top notch advice. Wild Woman practically lives in the Wilderness,really she does. Finally Me is a BSA Scoutmaster. Sarge is a good guy, He just missed his calling as a Drill Sergeant. Me I just kinda' realize where you are coming from,and kinda' identify with you. Crash is Ex-military, and well versed in a number of topics. Same with SARKY and OldSoldier. Just my opinion but I think that Finally Me and Wild Woman have given you the best information pertinent to your particular situation and interests. I truly wish you the best in all your pursuits.

Sarge47
10-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Yep, both FM & WW are right on! I know this is not what you're gonna wanna hear, but based on the lack of experience you've told us about I'd spend a couple years at least learning about the outdoors by setting up your own system of goals. Controlled situations that keeps the risk factor low. You need to learn how to deal with different weather situations as well as different terrains. That's why you need the help of other, more experienced folks. The outdoors is a great classroom, but every classroom needs a teacher. :cool2:

Lorna
10-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Hello and welcome.

trax
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
New Mexico huh? Nope, no places to go hiking there...or is there???

Take up hiking, get out in nature, start with small trips and build up from there, am I getting to be a stuck record here?? You'll learn what you need to learn in the field, any book can only advise. When some author tells you this is how to dress for X conditions, you don't know what that author is talking about until you've actually experienced X conditions and hopefully you had enough sense to take the advice before leaving home.

Start with small hikes, overnighters and leave your plans with someone, learn what the possibly fatal mistakes are while you're still close to home and help, but you're still building your experience, your fitness, your skill level. That's it, there ain't nothin' else to say about this

Welcome to the forum

Motormouth
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
We've got the Sandia's to hike, and backpackers can do overnighters. There are no designated campsites but backpackers can camp anywhere up there. Just need too look for a site that looks good or has been used before. This Thursday me and my dad are gonna walk some trails up there to kinda see what it's like and possibly look for some good sites to camp. This weekend I'm gonna do an overnighter. I spent last night in the backyard and kinda know what I need for just one night. Definitely need warmer clothes and more water though. Got nice and chilly packing everything up in the morning. And was short a lil bit of water. Thanks for all the advice so far everyone. You've been a big help.

rwc1969
10-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I haven't read thru this whole thread, but I'd practice making fires, different types. i.e. One for cooking, boiling water, One for heat that will last thru the night without much attendance. Practice cooking, filtering/ boiling water, cleaning up, and cleaning your dishes etc. with limited resources. I pack shampoo only and use that to clean everything.

I burn thru tons of water when camping. Trying to limit that water usage would be my biggest challenge. I have a vehicle, so carrying 10-20 gallons of potable water is not a problem. If I were hiking cross country it might be a problem.

finallyME
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
1st, remember that FinallyME is a Scoutmaster & only has good advice, 2nd, my condolances to your mother.:innocent:

I also have lots of bad advice. :bat::devil2: But, I will try and save that for later. And, just because I am a SM doesn't mean I know anything. I have met a few that didn't know much about backpacking. I just love backpacking, and have been doing it for a while, so it is something I know a little about.

Another MUST read for you is "The Complete Walker" by Collin FLetcher. Link (http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256138909&sr=1-1).
It has a LOT of information for beginners, and he is a very credible source. I checked it out from the library a year or two ago. I found it very informative for beginners, and not so much for me. :sleep: But that is because I had seen, read or experienced most of it before so there wasn't much new.

Another book to look for is by Ryan Jordan. Book Link (http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Backpacking-Camping-Wilderness-Equipment/dp/0974818828/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256139244&sr=1-1). I bought this one and love it. I only recommend it AFTER you have read Collin Fletcher and have some experience. He also runs a Backpacking magazine with a good website and GREAT forum. I won't tell you what it is, you can do your own google search.

Another guy to look for is Ray Jardine. He also has a good site to look at, and a few good books as well. He is a little on the extreme, and he thinks he invented everything and everyone stole his ideas. :wacko::wacko: But, some of his ideas are very good.

New Mexico has a LOT of places to go hiking. It would take you more than a few years to go to all of them, and that is staying in NM. In fact, one of my most favorite weeklong backpacking trips was in NM at Philmont when I was 16. When you go, try to camp above 8000 ft, especially this time of year. That will teach you to bring a 0*F degree bag :sailor: . Personally, I think you should hike either the CDT, PCT or AT first. One of those will fill your desire for a while, if you actually finish them.