PDA

View Full Version : NIGHT Fire Flash (Ported Vs. Unported) Barrel Test results....

Sourdough
10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Test results......Ported barrel (Glock 24C) vs. Unported barrel (Glock 35) Both are .40 S&W both hold 16 rounds. It is a dark Alaska Night, with cabin light off.

First test: Hold sheet of paper 8" above ports and ignite. Result: Instant confetti. Repeat test using thicker paper (Poster board) held 8" above ports. Results: It blew the poster board about 9 feet into the air. When recovered it was perforated by unburnt power, which is interesting considering the 6.02" barrel on the 24C.

Second test: Recoil and toqure.....ported nearly none, unported it jumped about 2" or 3" (Note: the unported was in weak side hand).

Third test: Night Flash.......Results: Flash is flash, yes it is distracting, but the ported flash was in a different location, however ported or unported it was there and it was gone in a mill-a-second. Viewed from the back the unported flash was 4" wide and in front of the crown. The ported flash was 2" wide in front of the crown & 6" vertical ported flash. Both clearly different flash "prints" from the Glock 24C.

Conclusion: Flash is flash, yes it sucks, but flash is flash, and it is gone in a mill-a-second. It makes little difference where it is located. It is a bright flash. The near zero torque and near zero recoil with the ports (Compensated) is a awesome asset in staying on target, it is like shooting .22LR or .38 Targetmaster Wadcutters in a heavy .38 special.

Bottom Line: I'll take the ported (Compensated) thank you, more goooder to be able to stay on target. And both have flash. Flash is Flash.

Sourdough
10-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Glock 23C Will be ordered soon. I just (15 Glocks TOO Damn LATE) discovered that I as a "Commercial Pilot" can order Glocks at the Law Enforcement Officer PRICE....Wooooopie. Buy the way so can volunteer firemen & Paramedics, & Retired Military. Get on it BOYS.

glockcop
10-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Ported = velocity loss / less power . No thanks. The .40 is not brutal enough to justify porting IMO. If it works for you, keep it up. No reason to change. Not a good enough trade off for me though. Porting has also been known to obliterate light colored front sights with carbon in high round counts. Non ported all the way on my pistols. Best.

Sourdough
10-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Well that puts you at odds with 100% of the competition shooters, where speed, and lack of muzzle jump, matter. With a 6.02" Barrel, and 4.125" of barrel befor the first port, there would be higher volocity and higher energy than fired out of a standard 4" barrel. If the front sight is obliterated, just replace it, they are free.

glockcop
10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Well that puts you at odds with 100% of the competition shooters, where speed, and lack of muzzle jump, matter. With a 6.02" Barrel, and 4.125" of barrel befor the first port, there would be higher volocity and higher energy than fired out of a standard 4" barrel. If the front sight is obliterated, just replace it, they are free.

You missed the point entirely. Bottom line two barrels of the same legnth, one ported, one not. The ported will have less velocity and less power. I don't use my guns for unrealistic competition events. I fully understand the concept and practical application of porting but I could really care less about "being at odds with 100% of the competition shooters out there". I use my pistols in the real world were power and velocity loss (aka porting) is a BAD thing, especially when a felony perp is trying to kill you. Pointing out the obvious with, "4.12'' of barrel before the first port" , as compared to a standard 4" barrel does nothing to undue the fact that porting robs performance (power and velocity). I don't need a port job on my .40's because they are plain and simply not that punishing to shoot, period. I have shot my share of ported weapons before and like I said the second shot recovery time is not enough for me to go ported especially in a friggin .40 cal. By the way, I would rather carry a 4" weapon waaaayyy more than a 6" weapon if they both deliver roughly the same performance (velocity / energy). Why carry a needlessly overly large pistol when I can carry a much more trim and svelt model for the same level of performance. Not rocket science to me. Enjoy your ported pistol. Nothing wrong with that for sure but the average defensive shooter does not need porting to shoot a .40 cal. well. Do understand that porting is more of a detriment than an attribute especially in a defensive firearm where performance, size, and comfort count most. Porting will also blow a whole in your clothes and burn you when you fire your pistol tucked in close to your side while defending your weapon from the bad guy. This is refered to as the "close/protected ready position". Competion is a different story where a needlessly large pistol shaves off miliseconds and helps the novice or recoil sensitive. Being that I rarely compete anymore, and rely on my pistols for defense, I'll take unmolested ballistic performance in a trim package over saving mili seconds with large ported pistol any day. Lastly, my front sight is "kinda important" to me. I'd like to see it as much as possible without carbon ruining my sight picture. Have fun with your "holey" gun. I'm sure that is why you bought it. They just aint for me. Mine is relied upon in a more ''serious" role:). Best

Sourdough
10-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Mine is relied upon in a more ''serious" role:). Best

Yea, sorting out 900 pound Grizzly Bears in the Dark of night is just fun. "Trim and svelte" is for girls. Real men have at least a 6" tool.:)

Ole WV Coot
10-16-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't worry about bears. I tried a ported 44mag for a few weeks and between the blast & noise it ain't worth it. A 40 really don't have enough recoil to bother and I don't compete with anyone. In my area the 45 is fine as is for me. To each his own said the farmer as he kissed his pig.

glockcop
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Sour, "sorting out bears"....seriously what are you talking about. I hope you are gonna use something bigger than a .40 cal for what I suspect you are talking about. Defense from bears possibly? I could see porting something bigger but not a .40. Hey, I like my pistols and women the same....Trim and svelte:). That puts me in line with probably 100% of competition shooters and everyone else with a "tool" :). Try your night fire test with several brands of ammo and you will see a large difference in flash signature with your ported pistol. I'm not trying to convince you out of what you like. I'm just stating the facts-porting robs ballistic performance. Not only will they burn you and ruin a nice jacket but like Ole Coot said, they are also needlessly loud. Hey, you like them and that is great. It works for you. My taste run differently. I don't "sort bears" in the dark, just bad guys. Just as dangerous though. Stay safe.

Sourdough
10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I am not selling "Porting". My point is that flash is flash. I tend to do the research on commonly held beliefs, for myself. And so I was surprised that the flash was not five feet high, and not blinding, but only in a different location than unported.

The term "Sorting Out" is a understatement used by British Professional Hunters in the late 1800's. It refers to going into a sticky situation, and dealing with it.

If you reread the original post, you will see that I was not selling the porting concept, but reporting the results of my test. "I DON"T DRINK COOL-AID", and I don't blindly follow the storyline, I test the story (Night Blindness) and see if it is true.

glockcop
10-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Sour, good job on your testing the myth of nightblindness out yourself. I'm sure you know that you don't run into trouble with it until you get into magnum class hanguns. Different brands of ammo will definately have a marked difference in flash signature in ANY pistol. Not all that long ago night blindness was not a myth but a very real concern. Most top loads nowadays try to use flash retardent powders. Cheap ammo will still have as much flash as ever. Take this from experience. You must have tested pretty descent stuff for your low flash results. Buying good ammo pays off in many ways. This is one of them. I did not get from your original post that you were "selling" porting. No confusion there. Night blindness is not my concern with ported firearms. My concern is the loss of ballistic performance as I have already said. I have no quarrel with what someone chooses to protect themselves as long as it is appropriate for the situation. Use what you like. You are not obliged to satify anyone but yourself with your choice of armament. It is not my my business. I however will not use ported weapons in "combat calibers". It is not needed. Magnums, MAYBE. I am not recoil sensitive so porting offers me nothing but it does take away what I deem important. YMMV. Thanks for the education in terminology. I had no idea what you meant by "sorting out". Learn something new all the time. Stay safe, Brother.

Pict
10-16-2009, 09:22 PM
In my experience flash is much more a function of powder type and load than porting. I don't own any ported pistols but do own several rifles with flash hiders. Different brands of ammo can have dramatically more or less flash. Barrel length is also a huge factor in flash. Same ammo, same AR-15 flash hider, and you can get very different results between a 16 and 20 inch barrel.

Flash may be flash but if it's a problem, ports or not, then search for a less flashy ammo.

My problem with ported pistols is using them in very close CQB/grappling situations you could end up blasting gas right up at your face.

Mac

lucznik
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm with glockcop on this one. Although for different reasons than his, portiing simply doesn't offer any useful advantage for me.

My guns are all hunting guns. I have no firearms that are designed or intended specifically for defensive purposes. Oh, they would work fine in a defensive situation but, that is not their primary purpose - which is probably one reason why I've never found an automatic that I was willing to keep. My firearms are all intended to kill game animals and as such, I need to capitalize on all the ballistic performance I can get.

Porting robs ballistic performance and increases the muzzle blast. Increased muzzle blast quickly robs hearing and also has a strong tendency to increase the likelihood of developing an accuracy-robbing flinch. None of these things are acceptable.

Sourdough
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Porting robs ballistic performance and increases the muzzle blast. Increased muzzle blast quickly robs hearing and also has a strong tendency to increase the likelihood of developing an accuracy-robbing flinch. None of these things are acceptable.

Most of the smart and More experienced shooters use ear protection........Try it you'll like it......:innocent:

glockcop
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Most of the smart and More experienced shooters use ear protection........Try it you'll like it......:innocent:

I don't think "sorting out" bears or bad guys in the dark with ear plugs in is a good idea :innocent:......I know, I know you were joking :). Best.

Ole WV Coot
10-20-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't think "sorting out" bears or bad guys in the dark with ear plugs in is a good idea :innocent:......I know, I know you were joking :). Best.

My uncle, Sam that is didn't give his little helpers ear plugs back in the '60s and several muzzle flashes were just a spot to point and fire. Never met a grizzly, especially one with an AK so I can't comment on that.:blushing: