PDA

View Full Version : Dive Knife Suggestions...?

MilVetPatriot
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Im not sure how many of you dive are how many of you might use the knives you have in a marine environment where salt water and rust is a factor, but im looking in to buying a new diving knife.
Im have no clue to what make and model it will be.
So if any of you out there own or have owned dive knives and have some suggestions for me i would really appreciate it.

The only one I have really looked at so far is the Spyderco Aqua Salt.
What do yall think.

tonester
10-14-2009, 10:15 PM
i dont do any diving, but i do use knives a lot. i think ive heard that spyderco and s.o.g. make good diving knives or you can use their knives for diving. youre just gonna want to stay away from any knife that is made of a high carbon steel because it will start rusting on you quick, stick with stainless.

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I used to dive five days a week (lots of years ago). I can't tell you the brand names, but I always carried two. A large, heavy, square tipped knife was strapped to my right calf. A smaller, lightweight, sharp one strapped to my left forearm. I preferred the square tipped blade for my heavy working tool. No concerns about breaking the tip when prying. It had a straight and serrated edge on one side, and a small saw section on the other. The smaller knife had one straight edge and one serrated edge - sort of dagger shapped. It was a back-up in case of entanglement.

MilVetPatriot
10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Well i do know that the Spyderco Aqua Salt uses a new alloy for there blade called H-1.H1 is precipitation-hardened steel, utilizing .1% nitrogen instead of carbon. Carbon is the component in steel that makes the blade hard and allows it to hold an edge. Carbon also reacts to chloride, making rust. With nitrogen replacing the carbon; hardness and edge retention are realized but nitrogen doesn’t react to chloride so it physically cannot rust.
This is what they say anyway.
I personally have many spyderco knives and love them, but have never owned any knife made of the new H-1 alloy..

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
All of mine were good quality stainless steel.

Mischief
10-15-2009, 01:25 AM
I have been using a Wenaka Sea Style # 9023 for over 15 years now and love it
3 inch blade 6 in oveall with a tank knocker on the handle end
The knife is bullet proof
If I am near salt water,and that is 80% of the time it is on me, in or out of the water.
Mischief

Old GI
10-15-2009, 08:19 AM
I used to dive five days a week (lots of years ago). I can't tell you the brand names, but I always carried two. A large, heavy, square tipped knife was strapped to my right calf. A smaller, lightweight, sharp one strapped to my left forearm. I preferred the square tipped blade for my heavy working tool. No concerns about breaking the tip when prying. It had a straight and serrated edge on one side, and a small saw section on the other. The smaller knife had one straight edge and one serrated edge - sort of dagger shapped. It was a back-up in case of entanglement.

Absolutely, Crash. There is a difference between a dive tool and a knife and you described them perfectly. Your choices are similar to mine (back in the day). I used to emphasize that a dive tool should be called that and used as such. PADI OWSI Emeritus

Stargazer
10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
Well said Crash..One other thing about having a square(blunt) end on a dive knife.If you should ever find youre self in a "bag" style dry suit.Having a square tip lessens the odds of poking a hole in the suit when putting the knife back into its holster.

Old GI
10-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Well said Crash..One other thing about having a square(blunt) end on a dive knife.If you should ever find youre self in a "bag" style dry suit.Having a square tip lessens the odds of poking a hole in the suit when putting the knife back into its holster.

Voice of experience?:)

Stargazer
10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Yea, my poor man berries were traumatized that day.

sgtdraino
10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Tekna Wilderness Edge.

crashdive123
10-16-2009, 08:54 PM

The first time I dove with a dry suit, I learned why ankle weights were important. :innocent:

MilVetPatriot
10-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Old GI
10-17-2009, 10:46 AM
The first time I dove with a dry suit, I learned why ankle weights were important. :innocent:

I'll send you the bill for my new monitor and keyboard!

tonester
10-17-2009, 11:51 AM
check out benchmade, they also make a good dive knife.

Silverfx4
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM
You may want to look at Mission's MPK-TI dive knife. Made of titanium, so it will never rust, but they are pricey.

Stargazer
10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Crash, ya need to make sure youre feet are never above youre head:innocent:.Fun times I tell ya when youre fin almost blows off because of the rush of air down youre leg.Even better than that is when youre inflator valve freezes/sticks in the open position.

Rick
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Boats designed to sink. Stickin' your head underwater and breathing through a rubber hose. What's next? Climbing up the side of a big mountain? Damned fools, I say. Why don't you try something less inclined to kill you like extreme ironing, shin kicking or cheese rolling?

Stargazer
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Just so you know Rick, i have tried the sport of shin kicking and just cant get the knack of it.Maby I was doing something wrong but I am no good at it.One little dark spot on a pair of pants got me banned for life from extreme ironing.

Old GI
10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Jumping out of perfectly good airplanes. Boats designed to sink. Stickin' your head underwater and breathing through a rubber hose. What's next? Climbing up the side of a big mountain? Damned fools, I say. Why don't you try something less inclined to kill you like extreme ironing, shin kicking or cheese rolling?

Don't forget sliding down ropes from helicopters, cliffs, buildings, etc., both skinny and fat (or is that Fast?) ropes.

loki
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM
CRKT ABC Hammond might suit you, functional, and won't break the bank. Another great brand is Myerchin they make an offshore safety knife I think the model is MYA500. Spyderco has the aqua salt in a fixed and folder. It's made of H1 steel so no rust but it is a little more pricey than the others. If it is going to be for work I would go for the Myerchin or the Spyderco, if it is just recreational or hobby the CRKT should suit you well. I found a link with all of the said knives are on one page.
http://www.888knivesrus.com/category/dive_knives/