PDA

View Full Version : Fire Starting Poll

rebel
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
The following list is what I use to start a fire. What's your prefered method? Please list in order of useage. Thank you.

1. Matches.
2. Lighter, BIC.
3. Fire Steel.

Rick
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Bic lighter - Lots of them
Fire steel
Matches

Sam
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Bic lighter - Lots of them
Fire steel
Matches

I carry the same things I also use a sparker (the kind used to light a torch) at work for my stove top.
-Sam

crashdive123
10-13-2009, 06:14 PM
1. Firesteel (assorted brands)
2. Bic
3. Matches

finallyME
10-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I try and use a firesteel as much as possible. Next comes the lighter. I keep matches for my last ditch, nothing else works solution.

SARKY
10-14-2009, 02:21 PM
firesteel
firesteel
firesteel
It works wet or dry, cold or hot

skunkkiller
10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
flint and steel lighter matchs the flint and steel is always on my belt lighter in my pocket and matchs in water proof metal match safe .

DOGMAN
10-14-2009, 03:05 PM
I am very close to God, so I just call-in a lightning strike!

trax
10-14-2009, 04:03 PM

You might want to stay sharp for that lightning strike that you just called in inadvertantly.

Personally, aside from the Omniscient assistance that my friend depends on...wooden matches, flint and steel, lighter.

Cnolan76
10-14-2009, 05:24 PM
I carry two firesteels and three bics. One of the bics is in my pocket and the other two are in a ziploc bag in my pack.

Pict
10-14-2009, 05:42 PM

I think you're just good at dodging them.

My choices

1. BIG YELLOW BIC - possibles pouch
2. little yellow bic - canteen cover pouch
3. Firesteel - possibles pouch
4. Doan Tool - laced onto machete sheath
5. A-10 Warthog - On station (don't I wish)

Mac

pocomoonskyeyes
10-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Firesteel (in pocket)
Bic lighter (2 In pocket)
Flint and Steel w/char cloth
Firesteel(in wallet x2)
Another Firesteel (also in wallet)
Yet another firesteel in fanny pack
And still another Firesteel in the pack
Can you guess which one I think is most dependable? Yes I have 6 firesteels 2 same size w/ different handles 4 With no handles (1 is drilled with a string through it)3 smaller ones stashed in various places.... Just in case. IMO a firesteel is the most dependable thing you can light a fire with. Mostly a bic is for lighting my cigarette(which I roll myself... No they are not the funny kind either) when I am away from the fire.

BENESSE
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Firesteel (in pocket)
Firesteel(in wallet x2)
Can you guess which one I think is most dependable? Yes I have 6 firesteels 2 same size w/ different handles 4 With no handles (1 is drilled with a string through it)3 smaller ones stashed in various places.... Just in case. IMO a firesteel is the most dependable thing you can light a fire with. Mostly a bic is for lighting my cigarette(which I roll myself... No they are not the funny kind either) when I am away from the fire.

Poco, I can't help but ask:
What sort of work do you do to need/want 4 different fire starters on your person--2 in pocket, 2 in wallet?
Just curious.

Rick
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Pyromaniac. It doesn't pay well but it's a living.

BENESSE
10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Pyromaniac. It doesn't pay well but it's a living.

Well, if you're going to be a maniac, you can't beat pyro.

Rick
10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
It's a hot occupation. One you get fired up for in the morning. It would be hard to match him up with another job.

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
We just call him Ole Sparky.

Rick
10-14-2009, 07:37 PM
Be careful you don't get flamed in this thread.

rebel
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
firesteel
firesteel
firesteel
It works wet or dry, cold or hot

Wait a minute. Where's the Blast match or are you refering to the blast match?

BENESSE
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I can see this is gonna be a heated debate.
You better watch out Rick, some people might get hot under the collar.

rebel
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
I can see this is gonna be a heated debate.
You better watch out Rick, some people might get hot under the collar.

I don't see a debate. SARKY had me sold on the blastmatch and I was planning on getting one. So, I was surprised not to see it listed. Is the blastmatch considered a firesteel? I know they use the same sparking materials.

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Rebel - I've got several different brands of ferrocium rods and steels
Blastmatch from http://www.safezonellc.com/firestarters.html
Firesteel from http://www.survivaltopics.com/gear/
Several Swedish Firesteels from a variety of places
Strikeforce firesteel from the Navy Exchange

I love em all. I've got to say that the firesteels I got from firesteel.com (another members site) throws the most sparks of any of them.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
fire steel
strike force
flint n steel

pocomoonskyeyes
10-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Firesteel (in pocket)
Firesteel(in wallet x2)
You miscounted my dear. Make that 5 firestarters on my person. 1 Firesteel that I actually use and 2 small back-ups, 1 bic lighter that I use and 1 back-up. Hey You People taught me redundancy!!! When I'm not working a "regular" Job,say on the farm, or with the horses I also carry as many as 4 knives. It always seems that SOMEONE(I won't name any names but her initials are Equus/Dottie) always forgets to bring hers(although I've given her 3) and someone else we know usually carries a dull piece of junk.So I make sure I have some "Lenders".

Poco, I can't help but ask:
What sort of work do you do to need/want 4 different fire starters on your person--2 in pocket, 2 in wallet?
Just curious.
Type of work really is irrelevant as no one ever "Plans" on needing these things. It's just part of my EDC stuff. I live in a small Rural city. A couple of years ago it was voted Best Rural Community in America. So there's really always someone near IF you break down or something, like that. But why take chances?

Let me put it this way.... In a Survival situation,what are the 2 most important "Tools" you can have? Answer - Knife and fire. You are most usually dressed for the weather(I also carry a poncho as part of my EDC). I also always have some kind of drink on me, If it is something I bring from home it is most often carried in a 1 quart "Gatorade bottle". My 4 "Basics" are covered. In no particular order - shelter,fire, water,and ..... Plenty of wild edibles and Beef all around me if it is really that bad. Not to mention Corn and other Agricultural crops.

SARKY
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
A BlastMatch is just a High-Tech, one hand use fire steel. So it is still a fire steel as is my Strike Force.

Old GI
10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Two:
The starter button on my grill.

The knob on the propane stove/oven.

Oh, you meant something else, I think.

finallyME
10-16-2009, 02:32 PM
So this is somewhat related to starting fires.

Yesterday I was teaching the scouts about different lightweight stoves (a requirement for second class). One thing they need to do is light the stove. So we had a small butane/propane stove. I showed them how to turn it on and light it with a firesteel. I then gave a scout the firesteel and told him to make some sparks. It took him awhile, but eventually he figures out how to make it spark. But, he got nervous with the stove and couldn't light it. So, I gave him a lighter. He didn't know how to light it. His dad was there and it took him a few minutes to teach him how to light a lighter. I tell ya, kids sure are sheltered these days.

finallyME
10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I live in a small Rural city. A couple of years ago it was voted Best Rural Community in America. So there's really always someone near IF you break down or something, like that. But why take chances?

So, was the poll only open to those in your city? :smash::smash:

pocomoonskyeyes
10-16-2009, 02:42 PM
So, was the poll only open to those in your city? :smash::smash:

Actually it was a nationwide thing, some rural type magazine or some such did vote Glasgow, Ky. best in I believe 2005 or 2006. There is a sign saying as much at the City limits. I'll have to look closer next time I pass it.

oly
10-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Seems 2D has his own unique theories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUQCnrbU_Q&feature=fvsr

Rick
10-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Now that was funny I don't care who you are. God bless them little pygmies down there in New Guinea.