PDA

View Full Version : What is your Favorite .45 pistol

tacticalguy
10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Since there has been a thread like this on the 9mm I want to know which is your favorite .45 pistol. mine would have to be a Kimber Tactical Custom II with a 5 inch slide.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/tactical_custom_II.jpg

Pal334
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Plain Jane 1911, no bells, no whistles. Now every body promise to be nice to Glockcop if he stops by. He has some errant handgun views, but is otherwise a nice guy. :thumbup1::hugs:

Pict
10-12-2009, 09:48 PM
We arrived at the strip mine for some serious shooting. I unloaded the car and set to loading magazines for the AR-15. My wife who had come along for the ride spoke up...

"Mac, I left something under the front seat, could you get it for me?"

Me - In my head - "Good night woman, I'm here to shoot, just walk over and get it"

I continued to load mags, she asked again. Realizing I'm not going to be left in peace to make war on the bowling pins I set the half loaded mag down and marched back to the car.

Under the front seat was a plastic bag with a pistol rug and a box of .45 ball.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8907/img3568bs9.jpg

And she can cook too.

Mac

Ole WV Coot
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Beretta Cougar, carried it for several years.

tacticalguy
10-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Actually ive been thinking, i like a plain 1911 better like a springfield 1911A1

tonester
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
i love my CZ 97-B

glockcop
10-13-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna blow yall away on this one. Especially Pal. My favorite .45 ACP is an all stainless Sig 220. The best .45 ACP there is fellas:). Way more accurate and reliable than a regular old rattle bucket 19....nevermind:). At least I got Pal talking about new technology in a different post today. Now if you asked my favorite 9mm or .40.....well you already know the rest. It is a good thing for folks to have there favorite brand. Just as long as it isn't a High Point. Now that is a real piece of shi...nevermind again. The only good thing about that hunk of crap is it ends alot of dope dealers' careers. And hey Pal, there is nothing errant about my views on Glocks and Sigs. Just flat out wonderful weaponry. Betcha didn't see that "Sig" thing comming, huh :)? I'm done now. Somebody pass the Kool Aide. Yall be safe.

doug1980
10-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Colt 1911, or the Kimber, or the......ah any 1911 is good with me. Now if I could just have one. :)

tonester
10-13-2009, 01:13 AM
i love sig! i carry a P226 for work. trust it with my life. that thing is so accurate, i know when i need to hit a target that it will hit it.

Pal334
10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
I'm gonna blow yall away on this one. Especially Pal. My favorite .45 ACP is an all stainless Sig 220. The best .45 ACP there is fellas:). Way more accurate and reliable than a regular old rattle bucket 19....nevermind:). At least I got Pal talking about new technology in a different post today. Now if you asked my favorite 9mm or .40.....well you already know the rest. It is a good thing for folks to have there favorite brand. Just as long as it isn't a High Point. Now that is a real piece of shi...nevermind again. The only good thing about that hunk of crap is it ends alot of dope dealers' careers. And hey Pal, there is nothing errant about my views on Glocks and Sigs. Just flat out wonderful weaponry. Betcha didn't see that "Sig" thing comming, huh :)? I'm done now. Somebody pass the Kool Aide. Yall be safe.

Ya'll see what I mean?:) I think he really does not mean any harm

Rick
10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Springfield XD.

Ole WV Coot
10-13-2009, 09:12 AM
OK I was weaned on the 1911 and the only problem I ever had was aimed fire, left handed. Seemed some wanted me to eat the brass, loved to throw it in my face. Common easily fixed but irritated me some, otherwise it didn't matter. I happen to find the Cougar(discontinued now) an easy carry and dependable. I haven't given the newer ones a decent test, conserving ammo. Lot of junk on the market and my own opinion on the Beretta 9 is higher cap. for folks that really aren't "into" handguns military wise. LEOs depend on theirs, in my time a handgun was last resort, backup whatever you want to call it. The rifle was your weapon period.

Rick
10-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I was in Gander Mountain yesterday and they had tons of ammo. All shapes and sizes.

crashdive123
10-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Seems like most of the regular gun shops around here have ammunition again. Wally's is still slim pickings though. I'm sure it's pricing.

2dumb2kwit
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Seems like most of the regular gun shops around here have ammunition again. Wally's is still slim pickings though. I'm sure it's pricing.

It seems to be the same around here....and I agree, about the pricing.

The closest Gander Mountain, to me, is about 2.5 hous away. I stopped in there, a couple months ago, (I was up there, going to a gun show.) and the price they had on ammo was about 150% of what it was selling for at the gunshow. Wal-mart prices were a little less than the gunshow prices.

EDIT: If Georga Arms are at a show, they normally have REAL GOOD prices.

crashdive123
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I love Georgia Arms. Not that I own any guns or ammunition, but if I did, I'd probably have about 15 cans of their ammunition in the safe.....just sayin.

catfish10101
10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
TAURUS PT 24/7 PRO
Shoots great, never jams, 12 round mags, easy to disassemble and reassemble, decent price, looks good too.

Rick
10-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Oooh. See that? Glockcop needs to get one of those. No, really. He does.

Old GI
10-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Rick: Will being off-line when GC shows up be out of the bursting radius?

Oh, carry is Officers Model.

glockcop
10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Rick: Will being off-line when GC shows up be out of the bursting radius?

Oh, carry is Officers Model.

Nah. Rick has been trying to temp me with other pistols lately. It is actually pretty funny to me. Hey, I know Catfish likes his Taurus and that is totally cool with me but they are a company I lost faith in a long time ago with two piece of crap lemmons. One was entirely out of commission before one single round was fired. I hear good stuff about them nowadays but no thanks for me. In case ya didn't hear, I'm kinda hung up on Glocks and Sigs ya know:). Everybody has a right to a favorite pistol without crap from anyone. I'm just loud about mine. Ole Coot, my brother has a Cougar in .40 and I must say that is one FIIIINNNNNEEEE shooting weapon. Very soft recoil. Feels like a 9mm instead of a .40. I like the Cougar alot. Nothing at all wrong with a Beretta. That's for sure. Yall be safe.

rebel
10-13-2009, 10:22 PM
There might be Pop's old remington rand .45 from Iwo. If it could tell a story.

dezertdude
10-14-2009, 12:22 AM
I like my Ruger p90 stainless

dscrick
10-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I own a couple 1911's and a Sig P220. Sig wins hands down

catfish10101
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
glockcop, you are right. Taurus made crap for years and lost alot of customers because of it. They have come a long way since then. I'll probably never convince you to buy another one, and I'm not going to try. BUT, if you happen to get the chance to fire one of their newer pistols or revolvers, just do it and you will see how much better they are now.

Ole WV Coot
10-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Nah. Rick has been trying to temp me with other pistols lately. It is actually pretty funny to me. Hey, I know Catfish likes his Taurus and that is totally cool with me but they are a company I lost faith in a long time ago with two piece of crap lemmons. One was entirely out of commission before one single round was fired. I hear good stuff about them nowadays but no thanks for me. In case ya didn't hear, I'm kinda hung up on Glocks and Sigs ya know:). Everybody has a right to a favorite pistol without crap from anyone. I'm just loud about mine. Ole Coot, my brother has a Cougar in .40 and I must say that is one FIIIINNNNNEEEE shooting weapon. Very soft recoil. Feels like a 9mm instead of a .40. I like the Cougar alot. Nothing at all wrong with a Beretta. That's for sure. Yall be safe.

That's the same with the 45 Cougar. The barrel twist & heavy spring do the same. I have a 40 Cougar also, identical except caliber and little difference in recoil. Double taps are easy, and more accurate.

sgtdraino
10-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Springfield XD.

Tie between the Springfield XD Compact, and the Kahr PM45.

glockcop
10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
glockcop, you are right. Taurus made crap for years and lost alot of customers because of it. They have come a long way since then. I'll probably never convince you to buy another one, and I'm not going to try. BUT, if you happen to get the chance to fire one of their newer pistols or revolvers, just do it and you will see how much better they are now.

That is a fair enough proposition. The last Taurus products I've tried was about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I was not repulsed by any means but still not overly impressed. Maybe they have gotten better nowadays. I guess I owe it to them to give them another shot. It's gonna take alot to get me away from Glocks and Sigs though :). If you are happy with your weapon, that is great. Don't worry about what I or anyone thinks about your choice in weapons as long as it is a reliable product and you are comfortable it. Enjoy your Taurus and applogize to no one as long as it treats you right. I'm just passionate (aka loud) about my favorites :). Take care, Brother.

MilVetPatriot
10-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Defiantly the Springfield 1911, or the Kimber.
I also owned at one time a really nice Para ordnance 1911..Very nice firearm.
I like plain looks, no chrome finish, no nickle...nothing shiny. Has to be subdued.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/images/PW9142LP.gif

Old GI
10-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Defiantly the Springfield 1911, or the Kimber.
I also owned at one time a really nice Para ordnance 1911..Very nice firearm.
I like plain looks, no chrome finish, no nickle...nothing shiny. Has to be subdued.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/images/PW9142LP.gif

Now that is pure art!

Pal334
10-17-2009, 11:40 AM
THat is a beautiful shooting iron :)

Rick
10-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Quick! Close the thread before Glockcop shows up. One look at that beauty and he'll want one for sure!

TomChemEngineer
10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I have a couple of .45's. I like them. The older one I have been shooting since 1965, a standard issue Government Model. The newer one is a Rock Island (RIA) Standard Government Model. The parts on these two are interchangeable, but one Colt magazine will not hold the slide back on one of the models, so that mag goes to the trade box. Old School, but I'm used to the feel of the government model, it points naturally for me, I have many magazines and sufficient ammunition, and it can be carried inside waist band just behind the hip bone and it fits pretty well. Plus, with the RIA, I don't worry about scratching it or holster-wear on it or exercising it regularly.

AVENGED
10-17-2009, 06:46 PM
I've Fired A Few .45. My Favorite Is The Colt 1911. My Father Has One His Dad Was Issued In WWII As An Artillery Capt. Though, When We First Took It Out And Fired It, We Found Out Someone Filed Down The Sear (Seer?) Pin And Allowed It To Fire 2 Round On A Pull. I Kinda See It As The AK47 Of Pistols, You Can Abuse It And It'll Still Do The Job When Asked.

Rick
10-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I bet that was quite a surprise the first time you pulled the trigger.

SARKY
10-18-2009, 01:04 PM
PARA-Ordnance P-12.

coyote hunter
10-18-2009, 03:16 PM
I have 3 Colt`s Series 80 Govt. Series 80 Combat Commander and a Series 80 Gold Cup. I alternate between carrying the Govt. model and a Glock 23

Rick
10-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome Coyote Hunter. Why not hunt you way over to our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

glockcop
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
Quick! Close the thread before Glockcop shows up. One look at that beauty and he'll want one for sure!

Got a couple and like 'em just fine but you know the rest :). I certainly agree that bone stock "rattler" does look pretty . I'm gonna stick with my "Plastic Fantastic" or Sigs for serious work though. Temp all you want Rick. My convictions are steadfast:). Stay safe, Brother.

oldsoldier
10-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Exactly the reason. Wally's has a contract to buy ammo has for years with the major manufacturers. I was in my local gun shop a couple of weeks ago and the wincheter rep. came in while I was there we all got talking about the rising cost and avilability of ammo at certian places.The winchester rep. said after I asked about WM not having much or any 9mm and such. He said it's because wal-mart because of their contract, gets ammo to cheap he said an example is winchester 9mm in FMJ 100 round box, costs WM $ 11.00 then they sell it for $20.00 it costs winchester after manufacturing, packaging, shipping. Is about $7.00 per box. That same ammo in a 50 round box sells to normal sports stores for about $10.00 a box so their profit margin is about doubled to non wal-mart stores. Therefore they only ship wal-mart the very minimum to meet their contract obligations.

oldsoldier
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I don't currently own any .45 at all however my local gun shop I hang out at has a matched set, sucessive serial numbered set of colt 1911's they took in on a trade. Still in original boxes and never fired. I can get them for $750.00 for the pair. Told him I'll let him know by friday if I want em. He has to hold them until then ( new law) to give the previous owner a chance to change his mind about selling/trading them.

crashdive123
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
OS - buy em. That's a steal!

Sourdough
10-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Dan Wesson 1911 "Bob-Tail"........:)

Old GI
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't currently own any .45 at all however my local gun shop I hang out at has a matched set, sucessive serial numbered set of colt 1911's they took in on a trade. Still in original boxes and never fired. I can get them for $750.00 for the pair. Told him I'll let him know by friday if I want em. He has to hold them until then ( new law) to give the previous owner a chance to change his mind about selling/trading them.

WOWWWWWWW!!!! Don't pass on that!

oldsoldier
10-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Ceash and oldgi Don't worry just as soon as they are available I'll be giving them both a good loving home...

Rick
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
Dibs if you want to get rid of them, pass on the deal or find a second offering.

The rest of you just get back!!!!!!!!

oldsoldier
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Dibs if you want to get rid of them, pass on the deal or find a second offering.

:rolleyes::laugh::laugh:

Old GI
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Hey, I was giving OS a suitable adoption period before saying that!

Rick
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Losers weepers!

Old GI
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Ahhhhh. You're closer to OS than I am; although I flew up there once in '76-'77 with the "Evansville for Lunch Bunch" aka 101st helicopter drivers. They used the cross country training excuse. Sooooo, OS does that move me up on the list?

crashdive123
10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
You guys are just so silly. He's already sent me a picture with a list of the serial numbers and a promise to ship them my way. So sad really to see grown men fight over things like this.

Rick
10-19-2009, 04:44 PM
http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/homer_doh.jpg

Old GI
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
That is enough to make an old man c ........... OK I can't see for a few minutes.

tsitenha
10-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Colt "Combat Elite" that I used to have. Best .45acp I ever shot
Would really like to get a S&W 625-2 though.

oldsoldier
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Well as of saturday we have 3 new members of the family. Saturday morning we adopted a greyhound rescue animal from the local humane society. A 4 year old female greyhound/german shepard mix. A real big baby!!

Saturday afternoon added the other s members.I got my 1911's added a double bianci sholder rig, 4 extra mags. and 100 rounds of hollow points. Not a bad deal for $1025.00:clap:

2dumb2kwit
10-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Saturday afternoon added the other s members.I got my 1911's added a double bianci sholder rig, 4 extra mags. and 100 rounds of hollow points. Not a bad deal for $1025.00:clap:

Thief!!!

...oh....and congrats about the new dog, too.:clap:

oldsoldier
10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
:airhorn::jango::innocent:
Thief!!!

Rick
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Odd. I didn't hear a mention about QC. Oldsoldier could easily injure himself with a defective safety on one of those things. You'd think, since they want to help, they'd be johnny on the spot about wanting to inspect a pair of 1911s.

crashdive123
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
They've already been shipped. Please, oh please, oh please!

oldsoldier
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM
:yes:Forgot to mention gang... I'll be taking bribes er.... ah.... I mean bids :innocent: in case I decide to let them go

Old GI
10-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Thief!!!

OS, has the Grand Jury handed down the indictment yet? Congratulations on both adoptions.

TangoFoxtrot
11-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Glock 21...What else is there? :)

glockcop
11-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Glock 21...What else is there? :)

Can't argue there but a stainless Sig 220 ain't no slouch either. Glock reliability in Cadillac trim. Now that is real nice. I'd have a real hard time choosing between the two in all honesty. Glocks and Sigs are simply the best combat pistols the world has ever seen IMO. Stay safe, Brother.

Pal334
11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Hmmp , 1911 is the only .45 for adult usage :)

glockcop
11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Hmmp , 1911 is the only .45 for adult usage :)

"Adult" = Dinosaurs :). When modern warriors get malfunctions from tired technology and antique design, the ones still alive graduate to Glock and Sig :tongue_smilie:. Calm down and reholster that 1911 down before the operator gets hurt :). Just picking with Ya. The 1911 is entirely adequate for most tasks :triage:. Stay safe, Brother.

sgtdraino
11-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Tie between the Springfield XD Compact, and the Kahr PM45.

Tomorrow I finally go and do annual qualifications with my PM45. It will be the most rounds it has had through it since I've had it, haven't had the time or the money to practice much with it before now. Looking forward to seeing how I score!

Pal334
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM
"Adult" = Dinosaurs :). When modern warriors get malfunctions from tired technology and antique design, the ones still alive graduate to Glock and Sig :tongue_smilie:. Calm down and reholster that 1911 down before the operator gets hurt :). Just picking with Ya. The 1911 is entirely adequate for most tasks :triage:. Stay safe, Brother.

Those "modern warriors" you mention had those issues because they were either taught wrong by the Dinosaurs, our as kids are wont to do, they slept through their lessons. :smash: Mmmm,, the 1911 is the best for all. It has kept my mangy hide relatively intact for over 30 years. Now stuff that in your pipe and smoke it :sailor: Stay safe

glockcop
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Those "modern warriors" you mention had those issues because they were either taught wrong by the Dinosaurs, our as kids are wont to do, they slept through their lessons. :smash: Mmmm,, the 1911 is the best for all. It has kept my mangy hide relatively intact for over 30 years. Now stuff that in your pipe and smoke it :sailor: Stay safe

It don't smoke anymore but I will have a beer instead:drunk:. Here is a toast, "To all GREAT PISTOLS namely Glock and Sig....even the OK ones like the 1911....May they keep us safe when called upon....even the antique ones" :). Man, you would think after being around for 100 years the "dinosaurs" could teach the complex manual of arms of the 1911 more effectively. Modern pistols are alot easier to teach and learn with. Nowadays the malfunction drills have been cut down dramatically :). I don't know about in your time SO LONG AGO but in my more modern teaching/training sleeping is not tolerated in the classroom or in the field. Thank God for simple / modern pistol designs and diligent, up to date instructors :). We still love those old guys and their obsolite pistols though. I always carry a back up piece at work so I can loan one to a "dinosaur" when his outdated pistol chokes. We got Ya back, Brother :tongue_smilie:. Reminder: Pal, I am still just playing with Ya :).

To all the new guys...Dod't trust anything with a swinging link lock up, barrel bushing, grip safety, or sounds like a baby's rattle.

2dumb2kwit
11-19-2009, 11:12 AM
What is your Favorite .45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_rWlBfGLe0

crashdive123
11-19-2009, 02:40 PM
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/06/hardees_badthings/image/colt_45.jpg

klkak
11-19-2009, 03:54 PM
My favorite .45 pistol is the "460 S&W Magnum". I would love to have a Lever action carbine chamered for it.

Pal334
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Here is one I have been contemplating. Is a revolver, S&W 325,, simple and easy for an old F**t like me :)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rrarms.com/catmedwid/G170316.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php%3Fprod%3DG170316&usg=__BesWAQJCW15Y7B9MAp4Wss5ltbw=&h=129&w=200&sz=4&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=wmTHKrZyW6vplM:&tbnh=67&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DS%2526W%2BModel%2B325%2BThunder%2BRan ch%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26u m%3D1

rebel
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
My favorite .45 pistol is the "460 S&W Magnum". I would love to have a Lever action carbine chamered for it.

Here's a combo that's available:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=147462160

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146409083

For your pocket: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=146809749

glockcop
11-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Here is one I have been contemplating. Is a revolver, S&W 325,, simple and easy for an old F**t like me :)
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rrarms.com/catmedwid/G170316.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php%3Fprod%3DG170316&usg=__BesWAQJCW15Y7B9MAp4Wss5ltbw=&h=129&w=200&sz=4&hl=en&start=20&um=1&tbnid=wmTHKrZyW6vplM:&tbnh=67&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DS%2526W%2BModel%2B325%2BThunder%2BRan ch%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D18%26u m%3D1

Pal, I may shock you with this but I have nothing against a good revolver. In fact I really enjoy some range time with an accurate wheel gun. I guess the revolver is a weapon we can agree on :). I would rather have a partner with a revolver that he knows how to use it over a partner that can't hit the bad guy with his auto. All the rounds in the world coun't for sh*t if they don't hit the target. I find most novice shooters perform better with a revolver than an auto. That S&W revolver is bad a$$. Good call blind gun for predators. And Pal, I hope you realize that I'm just giving you a hard time with all the "old" stuff. I'm not getting any younger either :). More times than not "old" means "seasoned". Take care, Brother.

AVENGED
11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I bet that was quite a surprise the first time you pulled the trigger.

Well, It Was A Little Baffling At First. My Dad Thought I Didn't Think I Loaded All 7 Rounds. So He Fired It. Then The Range Master Came Over And He Knew Exactly What Was Up. He Said In Vietnam It Was Common Too. Thats Where He Learned To Do It.

sgtdraino
12-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Tomorrow I finally go and do annual qualifications with my PM45. It will be the most rounds it has had through it since I've had it, haven't had the time or the money to practice much with it before now. Looking forward to seeing how I score!

Shot a 75 day (worst I've ever shot), and a 92 night. Gun takes some getting used to. Did have some malfunctions, but I'm thinking (hoping) it was either due to me using the cheapest ammo I could get my hands on, and/or the Kahr still being in its break-in period.