PDA

View Full Version : Three Main Rules

SemperParatus
11-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Three Main Rules

The time is fast approaching that we, all of us, will either become a survivalist or a victim of circumstances. The irony is that those circumstances make up an environment that our own habits and attitudes are working to create. I asked myself what changes would not only brighten my own prospects for survival, but also serve to change that environment. My personal feelings are that whatever we do as individuals will be too little, too late for the big picture but we must do it for our own sakes. For what it’s worth here’s my list of the top three societal and individual changes that would make a difference.:

1) Don’t waste!!!!!!! Not anything. Not ever. We’ve become so accustomed to life in a throw away society that we really do think nothing of the value of what we discard. Just because something no longer functions in the manner it was intended doesn’t mean it has no value. I once took a couple of non working cordless phones and made a set of very short range, low power walkie talkies out of them. I believe that elsewhere in this forum I posted a link to plans to build a working windmill generator from parts cannibalized from a non working microwave oven. I have picked up numerous discarded microwave ovens that only needed a fuse to repair them. As a society in the US we waste more than most people in the world ever have in the first place and we take it for granted as we demand even more. Waste is the first thing that we have to get a handle on.

2) Take full responsibility for every minute of every day and night of not only your life but also the lives of anyone in your care. We’ve come to believe that as long as we can shift blame or responsibility to someone else or something else it’s ok to be a victim and deserving of help from others. How can we learn otherwise when that attitude is so prevalent on every turn in our leaders, our entertainers, our sports figures and sad to say even our clergy. Mother Nature doesn’t care whodunit or even what you think about it. She only works with “what is”, not “what if”. How it got that way is irrelevant. In survival, what you do with what you have to work with is all that really counts. The same applies to everyday life as well.

3) Understand that there’s power in knowledge. That’s a two edged sword that cannot be overstated. On the one hand the more you know, the more equipped you are to handle your immediate circumstances and prepare for the future. No one can rob you of what you know. It’s a resource that barring Alzheimers or something similar will never run dry. On the other hand, knowledge that you divulge to another can and usually will be used against you. Identity theft is one thing that comes to mind. How about battle plans or escape routes? How many skeletons in your closet or weaknesses that can be exploited? What do you possess that others may covet? Even the fact that you know of a water hole or edible plant that those around you aren’t aware of can save your life. There are two main rules to survival. One is to never tell everything that you know.

There’s my list. What’s yours?

PS…There are several survival forums that I’m active in and I may post this in some of them as well. SemperParatus

Beo
11-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Nuff said. It all comes down to practicing the skills you have and learning more, but I don't think we have to worry about the end coming any time soon Al Gore is going to fix it all...lol. So hug a tree and practice your skills :D

trax
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Preparation beats panic every time.

Practice, practice...tired? practice some more anyway.

RobertRogers
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Those are excellent rules!

How about When in Doubt, ReBoot!