PDA

View Full Version : This Turkey is Lookin' for Turkeys

Rick
10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm getting ready for my first turkey hunt in about 10 days. Our shotgun season runs from 10/21 through 10/25 here in Indiana. I'm going down on the 20th and set up camp and spend the next few days hunting or killing, whichever comes first. We're allowed one of either sex per season. If I get one of either sex I'll be delighted.

I'll be by myself on public land and since this is my first time turkey hunting it should be a new experience. I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

crashdive123
10-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Good hunting - have fun - stay safe.

nell67
10-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Good luck,I'm still trying my hand at truck hunting them,I see a flock of about 25 every day,getting'em to stand still long enough for me to harvest'em,is a real pain.

Rick
10-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I suppose chasing them down the embankment and out through the woods is.....ah, never mind.

nell67
10-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Yep,thats out,remember the 4 wheel drive is crap in the rodeo POS

Winnie
10-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Tallyho!! Good hunting!

crashdive123
10-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Nell you could always swing away with a croquet thingy out the window. Kind of like turkey polo.

2dumb2kwit
10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I can't WAIT until 2dumb reads this. :innocent:

I ain't asking, and hope he ain't tellin'!:innocent:

But good luck, Rick!
*Insert turkey stuffing joke, here.*

your_comforting_company
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
we are only allowed to kill gobblers down here and season doesn't come in till spring.

good luck, happy hunting.
BE SAFE!

Rick
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Wild Turkey for Indiana

The 2009 fall season is October 1-25 for archery equipment (including crossbows) and October 21-25 for firearms. The bag and possession limit for the fall seasons is one bird of either sex.

The 2010 spring season will be April 21-May 9. The bag limit is one bearded or male turkey for the entire spring season.

Stargazer
10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Rick. I hope you enjoy youre first turkey hunt.Hunt safe and keep an eye out for the two legged turkeys out there with you.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Wild Turkey for Indiana

The 2009 fall season is October 1-25 for archery equipment (including crossbows) and October 21-25 for firearms. The bag and possession limit for the fall seasons is one bird of either sex.

The 2010 spring season will be April 21-May 9. The bag limit is one bearded or male turkey for the entire spring season.

What we really want to know is when is nettin' -n- clubbin' season. Some of us good ole boys are wanting to come watch just how you guys do it to it!

2dumb2kwit
10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Wild Turkey for Indiana

Good luck, on your "wild turkey" hunt.
(I guess liquor stores are harder to find in Ind., than they are in NC.) :innocent:

trax
10-14-2009, 04:04 PM
go get 'em Rick, I expect this is going to sharpen your listening skills.

Old GI
10-14-2009, 05:03 PM
My grandpa told me a story about turkey hunting in the Catskills in the early '50s. He was hunting near a wooded area and he came up on a calling gobbler behind a fallen log. The tail feathers could be seen moving. He got close enough for his buck shot and was a split second from pulling the trigger when a man's head popped up complete with feathers on his hat. He was doing the calling. I asked my grandpa if he would have really shot him; he said "Yup, he deserved it sure, but I wasn't sure if'n I knew him". So Rick: Don't do that. Have fun.

Ole WV Coot
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
What we really want to know is when is nettin' -n- clubbin' season. Some of us good ole boys are wanting to come watch just how you guys do it to it!

They dress like a turkey, gobble like one and actually waste good ammo on them and each other. They ain't learned to hunt yet.

Rick
10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
go get 'em Rick, I expect this is going to sharpen your listening skills.

What??????

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Evidently it has no affects on reading skills.

Rick
10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm half deaf you ding dong. I was saying what because.....oh, never mind.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
They dress like a turkey, gobble like one and actually waste good ammo on them and each other. They ain't learned to hunt yet.

I'd really get a kick outta takin' Rick huntin' in the swamp!

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 07:57 PM

That wouldn't be very sporting. Can he even swim? Oh wait, you said take. Nevermind.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
That wouldn't be very sporting. Can he even swim? Oh wait, you said take. Nevermind.

I'd make sure he had a great time! Seriously it is alot different down south!

nell67
10-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Rick. I hope you enjoy youre first turkey hunt.Hunt safe and keep an eye out for the two legged turkeys out there with you.
Ummm,stargazer???? aren't they ALL two legged???? (actually no if you have ever been in one of those turkey farms,you'd know that they are not ALL tw legged,I have seen 3 legged ones,but they usually cull them or they die off rather qickly!)

Rick
10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
There are a lot of reasons you won't get me in the swamp. Not the least of which is gators, skeeters, killer bees, rattle snakes, .........

Ole WV Coot
10-15-2009, 08:57 AM

You do mean trolling for gators don't you?:sneaky2:

Stargazer
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Nell,,,ahhh ya got me.Well it sounded good at the time(like a lot of stupid stuff I have done).I was thinking about the turkeys that can shoot back.

nell67
10-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Nell,,,ahhh ya got me.Well it sounded good at the time(like a lot of stupid stuff I have done).I was thinking about the turkeys that can shoot back.
I know what you meant Joe,just thought it was a little funny!

Sourdough
10-15-2009, 12:11 PM
There are a lot of reasons you won't get me in the swamp. Not the least of which is .........

"Deliverence".........??? (the movie)

2dumb2kwit
10-15-2009, 12:35 PM
"Deliverence".........??? (the movie)

Yeah, Rick. You may want to take some....ummm....

Stargazer
10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
That's just plain ole wrong 2D. Funny but wrong.

Rick
10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
When turkey hunting it's not squeal like a pig, it's cluck like a hen or gobble like a.......gobbler. The squealing like a pig is cowboy's gig. He's the one that hunts hogs.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-15-2009, 06:46 PM
When turkey hunting it's not squeal like a pig, it's cluck like a hen or gobble like a.......gobbler. The squealing like a pig is cowboy's gig. He's the one that hunts hogs.

Here is how it is done Hawg huntin' down south...First you have to convince a northener the swamp is a fun and safe environment...Once convinced you invite them on a relaxing ride in the swamp. You head way down in the swamp where Hogzilla's brother lives. Now, take your northerner and put him in a head lock being sure to secure him and then begin thumping him on the nose. As he begins to squeal you alternate harder thumps with not so hard thumps. Thus creating a perfect Hawg call. Now beware Mommazilla is gonna think you've got one of her piglets, so at the last minute let your yankee go and as Mommazilla attacks your defenseless yankee, you can mow her down with buckshot. Be very careful not to hit your yankee! Hunt safe! uh did I mention I have invited Rick down for a hunt!

Rick
10-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Ha! Uh, haha. Uh, yeah.

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/98/l_5accdd35d1d8472b05bc0f6562028049.jpg

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-15-2009, 06:56 PM
No, Rick you got it all wrong! I was inviting you on a much more civilized hunt. We'll put the boat in at the lake, not the swamp. I assure the swamp is in no way connected to the lake. We'll go after deer not hawgs. Pine Island is absolutely overrun with trophy whitetail......You should hear my whitetail grunt call!

Rick
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Does a white tail grunt have anything to do with an outhouse and no door?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Nah! no outhouse needed, just duckblind coffee and pickled eggs and porkskins for breakfast!

2dumb2kwit
10-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Here is how it is done Hawg huntin' down south...First you have to convince a northener the swamp is a fun and safe environment...Once convinced you invite them on a relaxing ride in the swamp. You head way down in the swamp where Hogzilla's brother lives. Now, take your northerner and put him in a head lock being sure to secure him and then begin thumping him on the nose. As he begins to squeal you alternate harder thumps with not so hard thumps. Thus creating a perfect Hawg call. Now beware Mommazilla is gonna think you've got one of her piglets, so at the last minute let your yankee go and as Mommazilla attacks your defenseless yankee, you can mow her down with buckshot. Be very careful not to hit your yankee! Hunt safe! uh did I mention I have invited Rick down for a hunt!

Ummm......cowboy. Aren't you forgetting something?

The QC dept.
I think you first need to take Ken and Crash, on a little "hunt". (HeHeHe):innocent:

Rick
10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, I'm buggin' out in the morning. Going down to set up camp so I can be in place for the start of the season on Wednesday. Good Lord willing I'll post pictures of a turkey when I get back (yeah, besides me).

crashdive123
10-19-2009, 07:09 PM
http://www.stonyfield.com/weblogarchives/BovineBugle/FrozenTurkey.JPG

Rick
10-19-2009, 07:18 PM
That may be the only one I can find. :blushing:

nell67
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
good luck Rick

Stargazer
10-19-2009, 07:51 PM
May the birds come close and youre aim true.Have fun and good luck

crashdive123
10-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Hmmmmmm. I'll bet there are some that get the bird a lot.

Seriously though - have fun and stay safe.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I wanna see pics wrapped in bacon! or it didn't happen!

Rick
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I told my wife I might have to have it professionally wrapped. She looked at me at said, "You mean at Krogers?"

That one's too smart, she is.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Rick save some of the feathers off that Bird you are going to get in the Morning!! All kind of uses for Turkey feathers!!

trax
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Does a white tail grunt have anything to do with an outhouse and no door?

Nope, that'd be a red tail grunt.

aflineman
10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Good luck and have fun.

Rick
10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Well, I'm back. The weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow is heavy rain with rain continuing into the week-end. Soooooo, I packed up, hiked out and came home. The turkey is still at Kroger's if anyone is interested. I never saw one. Never even heard a cluck, yelp, cackle or kee. Personally, I think they followed me and just hid and laughed. But that's just my theory.

It was a great couple of days, however. Temps were high 60s in the day and low 50s at night. I had three areas scouted. I thought at least one would be productive but, perhaps, my calls need more than a bit of practice.

Here's some pictures for you anyway.

The first one is my camp. They were calling for a chance of showers so I strung up a tarp just to give me some more dry room. I have one side of the vestibule open on the tent. That's why it looks a bit odd. If you look closely, you'll see an old pond in the background.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam1.jpg

Here is the first place I scouted. Just to the left is another pond that has grown over. My guess is this area was an old farm some 40+ plus years ago. It's completely forgotten and overgrown now in the middle of about 14,000 acres of wilderness. You can't even see this pond on satellite photos. No turkeys but a pretty cool place none the less.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam2.jpg

Site number two is the top of a ridge line. This is an old overgrown road. You can see how the old roadway bends to the right. Judging from the trees in the middle of the road there hasn't been a vehicle along this ridge in at least 15 years.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam3.jpg

The same road looking back to the north. I had a really nice view in both directions for a good 50 yards and was nicely concealed in a small stand of 5 trees. I had high hopes for this site, too. You can see the trees growing in the middle of the road.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam4.jpg

Finally, I had a great perch overlooking a really great ravine. I was about 35 feet up the side of the ridge and just 50 yards or so from camp. This place echoed most of the night with owls and I heard a bobcat the first night making quite a ruckus. He was sure upset with something. I gave this place a day to calm down before hunting it.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam5.jpg

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/deam6.jpg

With rain continuing into the week-end it looks like I'll have to wait for the spring season now. Oh, well. The worst day in the woods is better than the best day in the office!

NCO
10-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Sound's like you had a good trip after all. At least those pictures are nice. Saying that I must add, that leaf tree forests still look odd to me.. Born and raised with evergreens all over the place....

Rick
10-22-2009, 07:32 PM
The area where I camped is a mixed soft wood forest. A lot of evergreen in that area. Probably planted when the federal government purchased the land way back when. but also a lot of scrub trees under the canopy. The rest of the forest is mostly a mixture of hardwoods and softwoods with very little pine. This is the second time I've camped at this location. I really like it because the floor of the forest is thick in pine needles and it's really soft to lay on.

crashdive123
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, even without getting a turkey, it looks like you had a nice few days.

Sourdough
10-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Glad your back........I am sure it was good to just get away......

Ken
10-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey, at least you had some fun out there.

Next time, you may want to check out a location known for having an abundance of turkeys.

http://www.hometownusa.com/wdc/images/Washington_DC_Arial.jpg

crashdive123
10-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Target Rich Environment?

Ken
10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Target Rich Environment?

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/gfo/lowres/gfon414l.jpg