PDA

View Full Version : textured vegetable protein (TVP)

wareagle69
10-10-2009, 06:55 AM
well it has been two years since i did this thread and i was reminded of it by the costco thread so asking again(hmm maybe i should do a poll) as we have many new members since then
Has anyone ever been able to make this stuff palatable? i can't personally would rather just keep a bucket of protein powder around, it is terrible, to me at least, what about some of you old hippies here have ya'll found a way to eat this stuff?

Winnie
10-10-2009, 12:54 PM
The TVP today does actually make a decent meal in fact it makes a terrific spaghetti sauce WE but as I posted on the Costco thread it plays havoc with our digestive system. It would be a last resort protein ration for us, simply because of the incredible pain caused by bloating and other unpleasant side effects. I'm not sure whether it's because it's been processed or what but I personally will stick with plain old beans for protein.

ClayPick
10-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I had to look it up to see what it was. Thanks but no thanks.:)

your_comforting_company
10-11-2009, 03:17 PM
I've never heard of this until now. It sounds pretty gross to me too. defatted soy oil?

what I read says it absorbs spices and flavors pretty well.. In a wilderness situation where you dont have spices I would think it is pretty nasty. I dont like soy or tofu. I think I'll stick with eating animals like fish and foraging veggies.

does it taste like the protein shakes from health food stores? those are really gross.
if everyone else says it's nasty, I believe you.

Pict
10-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't mind the flavor especially if you use animal fat and plenty of garlic in the cooking. Once in the system I inflate to about 30 psi and am unbearable to be around for about 24 hours. I can just imagine a family unit in a bomb shelter, at least the overpressure would keep fallout from drifting in. Mac

Pal334
10-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I think I had it once.Made by a friend as a novelty. I recall that however he flavored it, it was not aweful. But as many have said, the "pressure" issues were extremely unpleasent. Sothanksbut no thanks

crashdive123
10-11-2009, 06:13 PM
In the early 80's I used a dehydrated product (I think it was made by a company called Royal American) that used soy protein instead of meat. I don't know if that is the same thing that is being called textured vegetable protein (tvp) or not. Tasted great after a day of hiking. Never had any gastronomic issues with it.

Winnie
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
In the early 80's I used a dehydrated product (I think it was made by a company called Royal American) that used soy protein instead of meat. I don't know if that is the same thing that is being called textured vegetable protein (tvp) or not. Tasted great after a day of hiking. Never had any gastronomic issues with it.

Perhaps that submariners cast iron tum has something to do with it Crash:)

Wind production and velocity in the Winnie household is amazing, Winnie jnr can "let go" I'm left feeling like an overinflated balloon. :blushing:

Ken
10-11-2009, 06:41 PM
I can't stand TVP. My son cooks with it and uses TVP products regularly. I skip those meals. Besides, the bulk of my food stocks are things I actually eat often and require very little preparation.

And this issue that some of you have with farting - well, I wouldn't know about that. I don't fart. :innocent:

crashdive123
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I can't stand TVP. My son cooks with it and uses TVP products regularly. I skip those meals. Besides, the bulk of my food stocks are things I actually eat often and require very little preparation.

And this issue that some of you have with farting - well, I wouldn't know about that. I don't fart. :innocent:

Not since they invented the quick release valve.

Pict
10-11-2009, 08:36 PM
People have problems with beans. I can say with authority that the body does eventually adjust to such things. Its a matter of producing the right enzymes. BEANO works wonders so if you have a food stockpile with lots of TVP buy some BEANO. Mac

crashdive123
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
......or a way to store it for powering your home.

Winnie
10-12-2009, 04:06 AM
......or a way to store it for powering your home.

LOL. I mentioned that possibilty in the Costco thread, great minds think alike:)