PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Shotgun Rifled Slug Barrel

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a 3" chamber 22" Remington rifed slug barrel and am trying to determine the best slug to use. I have used Winchester .45 hollow point 1oz. lead sabot slugs and Remington all copper .45 hollow point sabot slugs. I have also used winchester 1oz. lead full bore hollowpoint slugs. The reason for my question is I will be taking a shot at a deer at 45yds. and need to drop him where he stands do to trying to not have to trail the deer off of my property and will be hunting on my property line. I cannot use a high power rifle due to ricochet issues. Where would you place the shot and which slug would you use?

glockcop
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Federal Premium Sabot with Barnes Expander slug. Very accurate in my shotguns but you need to test a few yourself. Every gun is a rule unto itself. A shot just behind the shoulder would take out a very large nerve bundle (Commonperoneal) with that load. Deer should not go far. I have also found 3" 000 buck neck shots to drop them right there with a full choke. This takes out the Breakioplexus nerve bundle. You should get a fairly tight pattern out to 40 yards. Tight enough for deer that is. Don't use buck shot with a rifled barrel as it makes the pattern open up way too fast. Smooth bore only with buck shot for good results. Good luck, Brother.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Federal Premium Sabot with Barnes Expander slug. Very accurate in my shotguns but you need to test a few yourself. Every gun is a rule unto itself. A shot just behind the shoulder would take out a very large nerve bundle (Commonperoneal) with that load. Deer should not go far. I have also found 3" 000 buck neck shots to drop them right there with a full choke. This takes out the Breakioplexus nerve bundle. You should get a fairly tight pattern out to 40 yards. Tight enough for deer that is. Don't use buck shot with a rifled barrel as it makes the pattern open up way too fast. Smooth bore only with buck shot for good results. Good luck, Brother.

Thanks Glock!

I was hoping you were around! Sure enough you called one of the few I haven't tried wow! 4" groups at 200 yds and 1900fps. I'll let you know what the outcome is real soon!

SARKY
10-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm partial to the Federal as well, at that range it should put quite a thumping on the deer. Are you open sights or scoped?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I have iron sights as well as a slug barrel scope I am not sure what the magnification is, I am not with my gun at the moment. I have sighted the gun with both the scope and iron sights in previous years and found at 100 yds. I was just as acurate with both. However it will be very lowlight conditions as the canopy almost blocks any sun where I will be so I may use the scope it is mounted over the iron sights so I have a choice if I mount the scope which is quick release.

glockcop
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Cowboy, glad to help out. They are sold ar Cabella's if one is close to you. Do let us know how it goes. Sarky, You and I apparently have alot of the same taste. Next time I'm in Oakland we'll have to get together to drink beer and tell lies :). Yall stay safe.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Glock, Thanks again and i will let you know.. I have overlooked Federal for years. Bought some Federal steel shot for the ducks once and they had a report equal to a cap gun and I never looked at them again... Guess I need to open my mind a bit.

glockcop
10-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Glock, Thanks again and i will let you know.. I have overlooked Federal for years. Bought some Federal steel shot for the ducks once and they had a report equal to a cap gun and I never looked at them again... Guess I need to open my mind a bit.

They make really good stuff IMO. Don't worry about the "opening your mind" thing. If you have found other things in the past that worked for you, why change? To quote Eddie Murphy, " A mind is a terrible thing". He apparently forgot the "To waste" part :). I just love the old SNL shows. Stay Safe.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I think that was back when I first started Duckhunting maybe say 20 yrs. ago and was trying to shoot woody flybys on a train trussle. It might be I was still wet behind the ears and used to shooting dove.....Them thar ducks can flat get it over a traintrack! looked like little F16's! I think it is a good idea to give them another shot! Pun intended!

hunter63
10-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I have an H & R Handie rifle, that I bought a 20 ga rifled slug barrel for.( well as 9 other barrels)
Just a thought:
I found that plain old cheapo slugs shoot as well as the sabots.
They say not to shoot them as they will lead up the rifling, but it cleaned up very well, so far.

As for your 12ga, I agree w/GC, that the Federal Premium Sabot's are a good choice, as they also shoot well in my 20 ga, just more expensive the standard slugs. (I'm cheap)

But as most shot guns with slugs are not your average "stop sign" guns, generally you won't be blasting off that many, so cost shouldn't be too much of a factor.

My neighbor at the cabin shoots his 12 ga when others are around, for the same reason you stated, and does very well.
Good luck

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Went by a store I used to buy slugs at and there were count'em less than 20 boxes total of all shotsizes and all were in 12 ga. nothing else for a shotgun. it used to be 2 isles!

skunkkiller
10-09-2009, 07:18 PM
sabot............................

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Years ago I saw a movie where a gunfighter fills hollow point tips with wax in an effort to make them mushroom and improve ballistics...I can't remeber what movie. Ever hear of this?

FVR
10-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I've taken a few deer with slugs that were shot through smooth bore shotgun barrels. My pref. shot, shoulder.

You take out both shoulders and the bone fragments shoot through the lungs and down into the heart. You will loose a little front meat, but the deer goes down.

Only other shot would be down from a treestand hitting the spine. I've done this with an arrow and it's not pretty.

Both shots, be ready for a back-up as you will probably have to watch the critters die, not a good show. I do suggest it to those who think killing an animal is easy. Hell yeh, it's easy when you shoot it and it runs off over the hill or into the thickets and dies. To stand over it and watch the life drain, listen to it's last breath, and watch it's life drain just really sucks.

But then ya gut'm, skin'm, quarter'm, give thanks then eat'm.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Good Analogy FVR, beleive I know. I had to put a horse down this year and deer hunting doesn't even hold a candle to something like that. May have scarred me for life. I remember my first deer. Took the front shoulders out and had to cut it's throat cause I was so green I didn't know what to do. I too have a great respect for my quarry and i can assure you noone will be doing my work and it is outta respect!

hunter63
10-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I like 'em dead when I get there also, watching the light go out in their eyes is a tough thing to do, but then again that's why you went hunting, right?
Then the work starts..........

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-10-2009, 12:03 PM
My slug barrel scope is 2.5 X 20 Bantam.

rwc1969
10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
...I found that plain old cheapo slugs shoot as well as the sabots.
They say not to shoot them as they will lead up the rifling, but it cleaned up very well, so far....

Ditto on that! That's what I use in my Remington rifled 20 ga. barrel. Remington Slugsters.

More takedown power than a sabot too. IMO.

TangoFoxtrot
10-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I have a 3" chamber 22" Remington rifed slug barrel and am trying to determine the best slug to use. I have used Winchester .45 hollow point 1oz. lead sabot slugs and Remington all copper .45 hollow point sabot slugs. I have also used winchester 1oz. lead full bore hollowpoint slugs. The reason for my question is I will be taking a shot at a deer at 45yds. and need to drop him where he stands do to trying to not have to trail the deer off of my property and will be hunting on my property line. I cannot use a high power rifle due to ricochet issues. Where would you place the shot and which slug would you use?

I use Brennke foster slugs out of my Rem. 870 20" smoothbore and aim just behind the shoulder for a heart and lung hit. Most of the time they drop where I shoot'em at around 40 yards!

Beo
10-26-2009, 08:15 AM
I use the ole tried and true Remington 870 pump action with plain old slugs and take my game (deer) every year, during turkey season I switch out the choke and do fine with shot, and even hunt squirrel and rabbit with it.

Rick
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
How about rifled sabots vs. plain sabots in a smooth bore? If you are hunting deer with a shotgun then distances are not that great. Is there a difference between the two types of sabot rounds in the 40 yards or less shot?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
10-26-2009, 11:37 AM
How about rifled sabots vs. plain sabots in a smooth bore? If you are hunting deer with a shotgun then distances are not that great. Is there a difference between the two types of sabot rounds in the 40 yards or less shot?

It is my understanding that the rifled slugs are designed for smooth bore and plain sabots are for a rifled barrell. I shot some rifled slugs (not sabots) in my rifled barrell and I can tell you the recoil was tremendous. That is when I realized they probably were meant for smoothbore. I haven't found any real good references I could throw out to support what I am saying but I am pretty sure of it. My huntin' buddy tried one of my non rifled sabots in a smoothbore and missed a deer clean. He is usually a good shot. That right there kind of confirmed my hypothesis.

rwc1969
10-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't like the sabots in a smoothbore, rifled or otherwise, much less accurate and powerful IMO. but, at 40 yards or less I doubt it would make too much difference other than takedown power. I don't like the sabots in a rifled barrel either, LOL!

I was in the store the other day and it's amazing how many different slugs are now available. It's almost impossible to find the plain ole Remington Sluggers/ slugsters that are the best IMO in both a rifled barrel and a smoothbore.

glockcop
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Sabots are the most accurate of ANY type slugs in a rifled barrel. Rifled slugs are intended for a smooth bore. That clears it all up. Best.

TangoFoxtrot
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM
You are certainly correct Glockcop. They should just call them "rifled/smoothy slugs" and "sobots".

Survival Guy 10
11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
buuuttttttt the government just has to make it complicated always like day light savings

oldsoldier
11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Years ago I saw a movie where a gunfighter fills hollow point tips with wax in an effort to make them mushroom and improve ballistics...I can't remeber what movie. Ever hear of this?

Don't know the movie but have been told that if you fill a hollow point with ground glass and seal it with wax you'll get almost 200% more expansion. Haven't tried it....... YET!!

TangoFoxtrot
11-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Don't know the movie but have been told that if you fill a hollow point with ground glass and seal it with wax you'll get almost 200% more expansion. Haven't tried it....... YET!!

Hmmmmm don't give me any ideas.:)

skunkkiller
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
SABOT are best 4" drop at 100 yards in my 1300win.