PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting in Kentucky

Icemancometh
10-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Here are some pics of the 5x5 Elk that I took on the opening day of elk season in KY. My guide estimated the weight at 800 pounds. I took him with a 250 yard shot from a Weatherby 300 Magnum. Right after the impact he raised up on his back legs, turned and laid down. The only problem we had was that he was atop a 2200 foot hill. As you can imagine it was NOT fun getting him of the hill. Luckily some other guys came by and helped us load him up. We left the guides cabin at 6:50 am and the Elk was on the ground before 7:30 am. The guide was awesome. He had told me in phone conversations that he would take me right to them and he didn't lie. He knew exactly where they would be. The afternoon prior to our hunt he took me on a scouting run and we saw about 36, mostly cows, but some impressive bulls as well, one being a huge 9x9. The last picture is of my Dad and I. Without him I wouldn't have been there. He had entered me in the Elk Lottery draw. Thanks Dad.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Awesome!! Congratulations Iceman! You gonna' tan that hide I hope.

crashdive123
10-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Mighty fine looking animal you got.

Icemancometh
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Awesome!! Congratulations Iceman! You gonna' tan that hide I hope.

Poco, actually I left the hide with the guides daughter in law. She was interested in making a rug out of it and I have so many deer hides around here that I never did anything with. I am having a skull mount done.

panch0
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Rick
10-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Very nice. I had no idea there were elk in Kentucky.

Icemancometh
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Very nice. I had no idea there were elk in Kentucky.

Ky has the largest herd east of the Mississippi.

crashdive123
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Ky has the largest herd east of the Mississippi.

Yep - both of em.:lol:

pocomoonskyeyes
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Poco, actually I left the hide with the guides daughter in law. She was interested in making a rug out of it and I have so many deer hides around here that I never did anything with. I am having a skull mount done.

Ok then tell me you saved the teeth then ...right? They are the only Ivory that you can legally Harvest now.

doug1980
10-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Ky has Elk???? Huh who woulda thunk it.

FVR
10-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Ky has been doing the elk hunts for a few years now. This was the first year I had not put my name in the lottery.

You really can't beat it, even with the cost of the out of state license, travel is not that far, the cost is way cheaper than a trip to New Mexico or Colorado. LOL, unless you live there.

The success rate is considerably high also.

Congrats on the elk. Good eating and lots of tools.

Icemancometh
10-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Ky has been doing the elk hunts for a few years now. This was the first year I had not put my name in the lottery.

You really can't beat it, even with the cost of the out of state license, travel is not that far, the cost is way cheaper than a trip to New Mexico or Colorado. LOL, unless you live there.

The success rate is considerably high also.

Congrats on the elk. Good eating and lots of tools.

FVR-Guide cost me $500, with his "no kill, no pay guarantee", in state permit was $30, plus meals and gas.

Fish and wildlife claims about 97% success rate.

Icemancometh
10-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Poco, I did save the teeth. Actually the whole head is laying in my garage

pocomoonskyeyes
10-06-2009, 08:55 AM
YES!!! Way to go!! I remember reading about the fact that Elk teeth are the only Ivory(I may be mistaken on "only")you can get from a North American land Mammal,from a book by Bradford Angier. I read this as a teenager,but don't recall exactly which one... Maybe "how to stay alive in the woods". He suggested using a Hardwood (like hickory) whittled down to a blunt rounded tip for extraction,and a hammer or stone. If I recall correctly it is only the rear molars that are Ivory. I could be wrong, it has been over 30 years ago that I read that, but should be fairly easy to find out.

Icemancometh
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Poco,

Getting the teeth out was the hardest part. I think it was less work skinning and quartering him.

pocomoonskyeyes
10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry it was such hard work!! But at least you have some legally harvested Ivory!!

Rick
10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
http://fwp.mt.gov/wildthings/brochure_elk.html

I thought you might be interested in seeing an Ivory Teeth dress.

http://newsdesk.si.edu/images_full/images/museums/nmai/identity/identity_6.jpg

DOGMAN
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
nice bull!

Icemancometh
10-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks to all. This will probably be a once in a lifetime deal for me. Ky only gives out 1000 permits a year (250 bull, 750 cow) and usually have 40,000+ applicants. My dad has been entering for years and has never gotten drawn. The guide I used says that he had heard that the # of permits will be going down, due to overhunting. According to him the locals harvest them year-round, as it is a very poor area.

COUESAZ
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Way to go. We are headed up next weekend to enjoy some of the Rut. Noe Elk tags for us this year. And we no longer guide. But we make sure that we spend a few days up listening to the bugles of the rut each year. My boys are getting good with the calling.

Icemancometh
10-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I hadn't heard live bugeling before my hunt. It is indeed impressive. On my scouting run they were bugeling all around us. I plan on taking the kids down after the season to let them get a look. My guide has offered to take us out.

Icemancometh
10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Got my elk back from the butcher today. Filled the freezer to the brim. Had right under 400 poungs of meat. I had planned to muzzleload this w/e but don't know where I would put it.

crashdive123
10-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Time for another freezer?

headshaker
10-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Who was your guide? I'm going to start applying for a permit. Thanks

Winnie
10-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Thats a nice Meal or two!
Over here we obviously on't have Elk, but There is a herd of Fallow deer locally, the calling of the Stags has lulled me to sleep for the last few weeks I love the sound but because of the traffic during the day you can't hear it. The rut has finished now.

Icemancometh
10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
It is incredible if you haven't heard it before. Almost kind of spooky sitting there in the dark.

Winnie
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
It is incredible if you haven't heard it before. Almost kind of spooky sitting there in the dark.

You're not kidding! The first year I moved here and heard it the first time(in the middle of the night, in my bed, half asleep) I admit my head disappeared under the covers!:blushing:(like that could save me!)

jesse james turner
12-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Here are some pics of the 5x5 Elk that I took on the opening day of elk season in KY. My guide estimated the weight at 800 pounds. I took him with a 250 yard shot from a Weatherby 300 Magnum. Right after the impact he raised up on his back legs, turned and laid down. The only problem we had was that he was atop a 2200 foot hill. As you can imagine it was NOT fun getting him of the hill. Luckily some other guys came by and helped us load him up. We left the guides cabin at 6:50 am and the Elk was on the ground before 7:30 am. The guide was awesome. He had told me in phone conversations that he would take me right to them and he didn't lie. He knew exactly where they would be. The afternoon prior to our hunt he took me on a scouting run and we saw about 36, mostly cows, but some impressive bulls as well, one being a huge 9x9. The last picture is of my Dad and I. Without him I wouldn't have been there. He had entered me in the Elk Lottery draw. Thanks Dad.

Congradulations on your Elk Very nice one Bet those elk steaks were delicious. I got my Only elk on a trip to Wyoming and harvested a big 8x8
Near the south dakota border about 15 miles southwest of Deadwood. Mine dressed out at just over 1000 lbs. at about 6 years old. I took him with a Weatherby .460 magnum.

hunter63
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Very nice elk. Congrats.

I didn't know they had a season in Kentucky either.
Got mine in Colorado, 4 X 4, bunch of years ago, hunting in a private camp at about 10000ft.
Lot bigger than a deer to dress out.
Got mine with a 7 mag
The teeth y'all are talking about are sometimes called "whistlers" and are like theupper canine teeth.
Far as I know those are the only ones considered ivory.