PDA

View Full Version : Weight Differences in Packages

doren
10-04-2009, 10:07 PM
I have seen several times where posters were saying pouches of tuna weigh less than cans. I finally got around to weighing them on the self scan register at work. (truth is, I was bored and had nothing better to do) I could not find an exact match for product weight between cans and pouches. However I did find an instance where two pouches were equal to one can by product weight. Here are my results...

2 - 2.5oz pouches weigh 0.28lbs
1 - 5oz can weigh 0.32lbs

Yes, the pouch does weigh more, unless your carrying more than 5 pounds of tuna the weight should not be that noticeable. The real benefit comes from the shape and how malleable the pouch is. Of course the can itself could be made into other things.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I have been busy with personal life issues.

finallyME
10-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't understand. You said that 2 pouches weigh less than one can. Or, when you make the product weight equal, ie. 5oz, then the pouch is .04 lbs less.

doren
10-04-2009, 10:23 PM
The difference in weight is the package. When you compare weight by product.

canid
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
yeah; net weight refers to the weight of the contents. when you weigh the product including the packaging, you have it's gross weight.

a metal can of a given capacity will obviously weigh more than a mylar/plastic package of the same capacity.