PDA

View Full Version : homade stock or broth

warman87
11-04-2007, 12:07 AM
any of you make your own stock? if not than mabye u should here is a great link i found http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/articles/joys_of_stock.shtml also in the near future i plan on dehydrating my homemade stock so no more nasty bullion cubes for me :)

corndog-44
11-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Making homemade poultry and beef broth and stock is an old tradition with our family.

HOP
11-04-2007, 05:38 AM
I would be very interested in dehydrating broth as I am a big fan of drinking broth spiced up some but get a little concerned with too much sodium. Link is great.

warman87
11-05-2007, 12:46 AM
they way i found to dehydrate broth is
1. get a dehydrator with a "fruit rollup tray".
2.boil down the broth until it gets very concentrated then place it on the "fruit rollup tray"
3.Allow to dry at least overnight, until crispy,then pulse a few times with a blender

good artical i found also if it helps

Vegetable bouillon

It all started with:

Vegetable stock (I made my own by boiling ends of vegetables accumulated through the week for this purpose: zucchini, carrots, celery ends and leaves, etc. and half a potato to thicken) Boil these veggie scraps with a little salt until the water changes to dark. Cool a bit and drain out veggie bits. Add salt to taste. Vegetable stock then turns into:

Vegetable soup. Return stock to boil, add sauteed veggies (you could opt not to sautee and just add veggies raw to boiling stock) and 1/4 C rinsed barley (or other whole grain). Season to taste.

Serve soup as usual. Puree leftovers (barley and all), then pour into dehydrater fruit roll-up tray. Allow to dry at least overnight, until crispy. Return dry mix to blender, pulse a few times until you have bouillon granules.

You now have vegetable bouillon for any quick homemade soups. You know exactly where every ingredient came from and control quality, taste, and nutritional value. Satisfying and economical answer to buying pre-made organic veg stock at the store every time you want to make soup.

I know this is terribly imprecise, as I am recalling from impromtu cooking (as is most of my cooking )

You could also use the bouillon to make a vegetarian "gravy" or sauce for say . . . cabbage rolls ? but I haven't quite gotten there yet . . . [ send green star]