PDA

View Full Version : Boberg?

flop-n-jerk
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Anybody seen this before?

http://www.bobergengineering.com/which_one.htm

Sounds pretty neat to me, a compact with an almost full length barrel, but I'd think reliability would suffer a little with the complexity of it?

glockcop
10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I've seen that site before. Looks nice and well crafted but it is still an unproven design. I bet they'll cost an arm and a leg too. I will not be getting off my Kahr MK9 any time soon for that or anything else in the ultra sub compact category. It is my ALWAYS ON ME weapon and has been utterly reliable, very accurate, and easy to maintain. I'll stick with my Kahr. That sucker does look "cool". "Cool" won't save your but if it doesn't work well though. Who knows, it just may very well be a good weapon. Only time will tell. I just don't like to be on the "guinnie pig" list. I like to let others get the bugs worked out before I put my green down. Also their velocity and enegy figures look a little "optomistic" for that short barrel. Looks more like 5" plus barrel velocities and energy figures. I'm putting up the B.S. flag on them. Be safe.

Rick
10-01-2009, 03:24 PM
I found their, "Most powerful ..." claim interesting.

canid
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
longer barrels on pistols develop higher muzzle pressures/velocities. if the barrel is longer [assuming they are both machined to the same specs otherwise] than another sub-compact fireing the same load, it will in fact have more power. maybe therefore it is half true.

i doubt the person being shot with each will be analyzing impact characteristics though.

glockcop
10-01-2009, 04:59 PM
longer barrels on pistols develop higher muzzle pressures/velocities. if the barrel is longer [assuming they are both machined to the same specs otherwise] than another sub-compact fireing the same load, it will in fact have more power. maybe therefore it is half true.

i doubt the person being shot with each will be analyzing impact characteristics though.

Canid, if you were replying to my original post, you must have misunderstood my point. You basically repeated what I was saying. Longer pistol barrels = higher velocities/pressure. Those short barrels are not long enough to reach their reported velocities or energy. They seem to report velocities and energy of a 5" barrel not the 2'' barrels of their weapons. There is NO WAY a 2" 9mm will reach 480 foot pounds of energy staying within safe pressures. Their 2" barrel would never reach the velocity needed for that 480 ft/lb figure. There is a significant loss of velocity and energy dropping from 5'' to a 2" barrel. The figures don't add up. They are full of crap IMO. That is where my B.S. flag comes in. Best.

canid
10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
i was replying to rick's comment.

canid
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
and yeah, from a 2 inch barrel, i doubt the gas is done expanding by the time the round hits the target, let alone leaving the barrel. lol.

glockcop
10-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Gotcha Canid. Just wanted to clarify. Be safe, Brother.