PDA

View Full Version : natural fishing

explodingearth
11-03-2007, 07:32 PM
i would love to know how to construct a natural fishing device. i thought of this since i read that fish love light at night i can angle them basically. i would set a small torch or large torch or a stick with ember on the end and hold it at the edge of the water at night. and i would make a netting weaved together with some strong plant fibers from nature. im not sure of the rope creation technique though. and weave the net around a sapling i bent to be round. place it in the water on the ground and hold the light over it when the fish come slowly or real fast lift it up. is that a good idea? and also how to make fishing pole for rivers and stuff. i could use a hard dense wood stick for the pole? or a hard green sapling? then i could weave a rope with woodland fibers (dont know weaving/tying technique) and then how the hell would i make a hook? i was thinking maybe with an antler or a bone but i have no idea how i would form a bone into a hook. you guys know about these? what is good bait too? is food bait best? or visual bait? like pieces of meat or insects or flashy things?

HOP
11-04-2007, 05:59 AM
There is a trap called a weir that is basicly a bunch of sticks stuck into the shallow water that forms a tunnel into a larger holding area and it is difficult for them to escape, this is a native skill , I think a small torch in the middle might help otherwise put some sort of bait in the middle.

MCBushbaby
11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
You guys have to read the army manual this site is derived from:
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-4.php (fishing section)

You should make your line from the strongest natural weave you can find (stinging nettle, dogwood) and the pole from green saplings (you need it to bend to tire the fish). You can make river traps by weaving cattail leaves or any other kind of material. Fish don't run headlong into an object in their way so You could technically make it out of construction paper if you want, haha.

LadyTrapper
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM
They use weirs in our coastal waters here very effectively. The fish they seek are saltwater herring they in turn use for lobster bait in lobster traps. These herring as well are attracted to light as we did witness when a large bonfire of driftwood and logs caught fire one night on the rocky shoreline. The weirs the next day were empty as all the fish were attracted to the light on shore. To my knowledge they do not use bait or lights to attract the fish to the weirs, but they simply come with the tide and funnel in to the large weir net.

As far as what bait is best, it is according to what the fish are feeding on at the time. Jumping fish are feeding on insects etc. Time of day and temp of the water are factors as well. I am not a real good fisherlady, but have noticed these feeding patterns.

trax
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
:)I always think food bait is the best, but fish aren't really all that smart about what they're biting in to :eek: You can make a fishhook from a green branch "Y" shaped, (think tiny tiny slingshot) sharpen it as sharp as you can get, tie a wee rock underneath for a sinker. You can peel a lot of different hard barks for making string, up where I'm from poplar is best but it depends on your area. Tie your creation to a branch that's rooted near the water and you don't have to sit there and babysit it if you have other work to do, ie wood or water harvesting or fire building. Fishy isn't going to pull those roots out, he's going to tire out trying and make himself easier for you to yank out of the water. A few of these little fish lines, I think is easier than a fish trap, just my 2cents worth. Yes, they do work. (I'm starting to like this kid)

Side note: Lady Trapper that quote at the bottom of your posts is great!

flandersander
11-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Me and my friend were out fishin one day and i remembered what my father always used to tell me. "if you have no hooks, make some." so i tried and tried and finally came up with something. i found later that peoplle call it a gorge hook. it is basically a peice of wood that is sharpened at both ends. for the panfish i was catching, it was 5/8 of an inch long. the line goes in the middle and the hook was threaded through the bait. (we were using night crawlers) it workd great. the hook fits into the fishes mouth vertically but it is wider than the fishes mouth, so with a quick jerk, the hook is forced horizontal and is then too big to fit out of the fish's mouth.and you can simply reel em in. this also works on larger fish like bass or pike, all you need is stronger cord and a larger hook.

Nativedude
11-10-2007, 10:58 PM
As others have posted, a weir is one of the most effective fish trap, but it must be baited to attract the fish.

11-04-2007 02:41 PM LadyTrapper posted

They use weirs in our coastal waters here very effectively.

11-04-2007 01:59 AM HOP posted

There is a trap called a weir that is basicly a bunch of sticks stuck into the shallow water that forms a tunnel into a larger holding area and it is difficult for them to escape, this is a native skill

Justin Case
03-21-2011, 09:19 PM
i would love to know how to construct a natural fishing device. i thought of this since i read that fish love light at night i can angle them basically. i would set a small torch or large torch or a stick with ember on the end and hold it at the edge of the water at night. and i would make a netting weaved together with some strong plant fibers from nature. im not sure of the rope creation technique though. and weave the net around a sapling i bent to be round. place it in the water on the ground and hold the light over it when the fish come slowly or real fast lift it up. is that a good idea? and also how to make fishing pole for rivers and stuff. i could use a hard dense wood stick for the pole? or a hard green sapling? then i could weave a rope with woodland fibers (dont know weaving/tying technique) and then how the hell would i make a hook? i was thinking maybe with an antler or a bone but i have no idea how i would form a bone into a hook. you guys know about these? what is good bait too? is food bait best? or visual bait? like pieces of meat or insects or flashy things?

Good question ! (lol)

Rick
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Holy Heck. Are you looking for the oldest posts to dredge up? Explodingearth has retired since he posted that back in 89. He spends his days deep sea fishing. His idea of a natural fishing device now is a 34' Ocean Master with center console.

Justin Case
03-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Must be nice !

Rick
03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Yeah, he was only 16 when he posted that....not that it's an old post or anything.

finallyME
03-22-2011, 10:27 AM
It seams he is "fishing" for all the old posts.

Justin Case
03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Fishing for,,,,,, and catching ! ;)