PDA

View Full Version : Tarnished brass?

hunter63
09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
While cleaning out my MIL basement I came across a bunch of fired brass.
I know that my FIL bought factory ammo, fired them and saved everything.
I might even have fired some of them 25-30 years ago.

A lot of the cases were in very good shape, so other than being a dark color, the appear in good shape. Polished up just fine.

There are some, though, that have deeper marks that didn't come out after about 4 hours in the Lyman case polisher.

I sorta worked out the bad spots with "Scotch Brite" and put them back in, after pulling out the very nice cases.

Any rule of thumb on this?
Thoughts?

SARKY
09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
First, Dillion (as in the progressive press maker) has an additive that you put in your media to help shine up the badly tarnished brass.
2nd What caliber is the brass? and how deep is the pitting?

hunter63
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the tip, I check out their catalog, got a couple around here, somewhere.

Brass is 30-06, .35 Rem, .44 mag.
I can rub off the blemishes with scotch brite, so no visable pitting, after.
I did rub it off and returned to the polisher, so I'll see here in an hour or two.

I reload the .35 rem and the .44 mag, but haven't picked up diesw for the -06 yet.
We are talking about a doezen of each, the rest were in pretty good shape, just dirty.

SARKY
09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Both the 35rem and the .44mag were very popular in Maine when I was stationed there. Because of the dense woods, I took up handgun hunting with my .41mag. I did pick up a Ruger .44 carbine (old style, tubular magazine) thinking to convert it to .41 mag one day.

hunter63
09-30-2009, 10:46 AM
The .44 carbine was popular here also in the late 60's early 70's, still have a couple of them that I inherited, from various relatives.
Small fun gun to shoot, DW uses one when ever she decides to go out hunting with me.
If trees get in her way, she just mows them down.

Have a scotch bite treatment and a couple of hours more in the polisher, came out very nice.
As there aren't too many of each I think I will just load up the .44's with my cast bullets, and give them a try.

I always like the .41, about the same bullet weight as the .44, but with the velocity of the .357.
Didn't seem to catch on, and I did pass on one a while back, as the neighbor, didn't have a hand gun, so I just let him pick it up.
He likes it a lot.