PDA

View Full Version : Awwww, NUTS!

Ken
09-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, the raspberries were a bit of a disappointment - only got about 5 quarts after the birds and critters got their cut. In another few weeks, I'm gonna' have to do some serious clearing of all the scrub growth around the bushes and get some nets to cover them next year. Keepin' my fingers crossed. :innocent:

BUT!!! We also have 4 Black Walnut trees and 2 REALLY HUGE Chinese Chesnut trees, and even with the squirrels, chimpmunks, and other critters, I collected about 2 gallons of walnuts and 3 gallons of chesnuts this morning. There's scrub growth around all of the nut trees except for one of the Chinese Chesnuts. Once that's cleared out, them critters are goin' to have a bit more competition next year. :)

canid
09-29-2009, 11:56 AM
nice. i'm harvesting walnuts soon myself.

2dumb2kwit
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine has a couple walnut trees. They have so many walnuts that he can't even give them all away. We shoot them out of the tree, with .22lr's.

His apple tree has gone crazy, this year also. (They're small apples. I don't know what they're called.) He's been taking rotting apples to a few spots in the woods, by the 5 gal. bucket! (Deer season starts soon.)

Rick
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Raspberries did okay for the first year. It will be interesting to see how they do next year.

You can have those walnuts. Trying to dry those things is MESSY!

Ken
09-29-2009, 12:18 PM
You can have those walnuts. Trying to dry those things is MESSY!

Hey, my t-shirt (with the law school logo, of course) was gray when I started picking. The front is mostly green now. :innocent:

Rick
09-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Yeah, but aside from the mold......

2dumb2kwit
09-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey, my t-shirt (with the law school logo, of course) was gray when I started picking. The front is mostly green now. :innocent:

EEEWWWW.......Yankee funk!:sneaky2:

Ken
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM

EEEWWWW.......Yankee funk!:sneaky2:

I see I have to be VERY guarded every time I post something, huh? :sneaky2:

The shirt was brand new. The original color was gray. The green stains are from the walnuts.

The bleeding from picking the chesnuts stopped as soon as I put on a pair of gloves. Hence, no blood stains on the shirt.

Canadian-guerilla
11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
BUT!!! We also have 4 Black Walnut trees

never tried this myself, but i've read that black walnuts
can be used for fishing as they poison/stun the fish

anyone ever try using black walnuts for fishing ?

Winnie
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Now I'm being serious here folks, so no snickers(you know who I mean 2Dumb) but if you pick the walnuts early they can be pickled.

2dumb2kwit
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Now I'm being serious here folks, so no snickers(you know who I mean 2Dumb) but if you pick the walnuts early they can be pickled.

Oh, fine! Single me out, like I'm the only smart arse here!:innocent: LOL

Winnie
11-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh, fine! Single me out, like I'm the only smart arse here!:innocent: LOL

Sorry 2Dumb, no you're not the only smart a*se, but you're certainly the quickest. I was just heading you off at the pass:)

oly
11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Sorry 2Dumb, no you're not the only smart a*se, but you're certainly the quickest.
Winnie has your # lol

:chair::dodge::lol:

crashdive123
11-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I had not heard of pickled walnuts before. Learned something new today Winnie. Thanks. http://recipes.epicurean.com/recipe/13650/pickled-walnuts.html

canid
11-25-2009, 04:26 PM
that's not all:

Vin de'niox (http://www.williamrubel.com/alcohol/vin-de-noix)

Rick
11-25-2009, 09:08 PM
CG - I have not done it personally but a few family members have done it..at least they say they have. Loaded in a burlap bag.

smittysurvival
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
i have tons of walnuts trees around my property. but if you collect 4 gallons of walnuts, husk and all, then you will get about two gallons of nuts. its a good source if you have the time to collect 30 gallons. we just throw them in our driveway (family drive) and let all the cars wear off the husk, and the hulls usually dont break. we also have alot of berries. we have wild and tamed.we have tamed blackberries, black raspberries, and red chinese wine berries. we have all the same as wild plus rosehips. you can get ALOT of berries around here. some arent all that tasty but great for a quick meal. we have recipes that make em actually really tasty.

smittysurvival
01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
never tried this myself, but i've read that black walnuts
can be used for fishing as they poison/stun the fish

anyone ever try using black walnuts for fishing ?

i have. i dont think its worth it though. you have to block of a small peice of an area. hopefully there is a few big fish. then you have to crush up the walnuts. in my opinion its easier to just spear the big ones and let the smallet ones live