PDA

View Full Version : Awaiting Hurricane Noel

LadyTrapper
11-03-2007, 12:10 PM
The winds are now picking up and the rain is beginning to start. We knew he was coming so we were able to prepare.
Hurricane Noel is on a path leading directly to southwestern Nova Scotia where I call home. Canadian Hurricane Centre in Dartmouth, N.S., issued the forecast in a weather warning yesterday afternoon, saying the hurricane will likely lose enough strength by the time it reaches Canada to be downgraded to a "powerful and dangerous storm" that will deliver intense rains and strong winds to the region. Coastal areas could see gusts approaching hurricane-force winds of 140 kilometres an hour and about 120 km/h in inland areas. Ocean-wave heights along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia tonight are expected to reach eight to 10 metres, with individual waves up to twice those figures.
Not really too worried over it, we are prepared. Just finished boarding up bedroom windows on the south end of the house where the wind will be coming from. We are about 1 mile inland, so the coastal waves should not be a threat. We live on top of a small mountain and have good drainage. We expect things to be in full swing by mid evening.
Goin in for a few hours of deer hunting as the critters will be moving before the storm and the freezer still needs filling for the winter.
If I am offline for a few days, it because I am waiting for my power to be fixed.
For those of you who are in Noel's path too... be safe, be smart and most important of all ...be prepared
See ya soon!

Sarge47
11-03-2007, 06:12 PM
The winds are now picking up and the rain is beginning to start. We knew he was coming so we were able to prepare.
Hurricane Noel is on a path leading directly to southwestern Nova Scotia where I call home. Canadian Hurricane Centre in Dartmouth, N.S., issued the forecast in a weather warning yesterday afternoon, saying the hurricane will likely lose enough strength by the time it reaches Canada to be downgraded to a "powerful and dangerous storm" that will deliver intense rains and strong winds to the region. Coastal areas could see gusts approaching hurricane-force winds of 140 kilometres an hour and about 120 km/h in inland areas. Ocean-wave heights along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia tonight are expected to reach eight to 10 metres, with individual waves up to twice those figures.
Not really too worried over it, we are prepared. Just finished boarding up bedroom windows on the south end of the house where the wind will be coming from. We are about 1 mile inland, so the coastal waves should not be a threat. We live on top of a small mountain and have good drainage. We expect things to be in full swing by mid evening.
Goin in for a few hours of deer hunting as the critters will be moving before the storm and the freezer still needs filling for the winter.
If I am offline for a few days, it because I am waiting for my power to be fixed.
For those of you who are in Noel's path too... be safe, be smart and most important of all ...be prepared
See ya soon!

Stay safe!

nell67
11-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Good Luck ladytrapper,and be safe.

WildGoth
11-03-2007, 11:53 PM
good luck be safe

woodwose
11-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Hope you get this in time.. Let some family member or friends out of the area know what is happening... and do make a call (if possible to those people after it is over). Let us know when it is over also.. we are all in this together. Good luck.

LadyTrapper
11-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Well... it was one wild night and early morning, Lost power for about 18 hours, nothing too serious. Didnt lose the phone lines. We faired better than some as a roof was taken off a large hospital here. Had neighbors drop in for some food and heat as we use a woodchief for warmth and cooking. The windows held, but a weak door kept blowing in until we braced it shut with a 2x4. In the height of the gale force winds we let the fire go out, no time for a chimney fire. Lots of blankies and a deck of cards.
I had made a few phone calls before the storm to tell others to hunker down and get some things prepared... LOL.., they just kinda blew me off but it was those same ones who darkened my door way this morning for a hot cup of coffee and a huddle around the wood stove.

The deer didnt show last night while hunting, but moved and fed sometime throughout the storm as their tracks and sign tell us. Tough buggers!!!
Thanks for the well wishes and a good tip on letting others out of area know what was going on. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing ya care!
Another storms passes and all is well.

woodwose
11-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Well... it was one wild night and early morning, Lost power for about 18 hours, nothing too serious. Didnt lose the phone lines. We faired better than some as a roof was taken off a large hospital here. Had neighbors drop in for some food and heat as we use a woodchief for warmth and cooking. The windows held, but a weak door kept blowing in until we braced it shut with a 2x4. In the height of the gale force winds we let the fire go out, no time for a chimney fire. Lots of blankies and a deck of cards.
I had made a few phone calls before the storm to tell others to hunker down and get some things prepared... LOL.., they just kinda blew me off but it was those same ones who darkened my door way this morning for a hot cup of coffee and a huddle around the wood stove.

The deer didnt show last night while hunting, but moved and fed sometime throughout the storm as their tracks and sign tell us. Tough buggers!!!
Thanks for the well wishes and a good tip on letting others out of area know what was going on. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing ya care!
Another storms passes and all is well.

Your welcome. Glad you made it through the nite.. I remember the only Hurricane force storm that I went through as a kid. Columbus Day Storm 1962 here in the PNW. Don't want to go through another one like that, although that was a mild one. Take care..

nell67
11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Glad you are all ok LadyTrapper.

Beo
11-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Good to see your all okay LT.

trax
11-05-2007, 11:56 AM
That you wound up being the one that other's turned to for help, Lady, because of your common sense approach and willingness to do a bit of prep. I'm glad you all made it through ok. Good job.