PDA

View Full Version : shotgun stocks

rebel
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I was thinking about converting a conventional wooden stock 12 ga. pump to something shorter and element friendly to take canoing / camping. Does anyone have experience with adjustable, folding or pistol grip shotgun stocks? I like the size of the pistol grip. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/product/popupzoom.jsp?company=cabelas&image=s7_229790_imageset_01&inStockColor=1111&displayName=CAA 870 3-Rail Forend with Rail Pistol Grip&tProdID=0065958229790a
Any insight would be appreciated!

glockcop
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Pistol grip shotguns kick like an angry mule and are next to impossible to shoot accurately due to the necessity of hip shooting them. Don't even think about trying to shoot that monster with one hand. It won't be good. I believe TAPCO makes a collapsable stock for Rem 870 and others. That is a much better option IMO. Couple that stock with an 18" barrel and that is one pretty compact and handy set up. All I ever use on shotguns are regular full stocks. Regular full stocks are strong and simple and with an 18" barrel they too are pretty easy to tote around and store. Best.

Pal334
09-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I agree with Glock :clap:, Fixed stock on a short barrel is the way to go. Durable, and makes you be more accurate. I prefer my barrels down to 16 1/2 to 17 inch, but that is a matter of personal preference. Using just a pistol grip, may look cool, but has limited utility if you have to use it.

SARKY
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I have a side folder for my Mossy. I works great and allows a more compact package when hauling it around.

SARKY
09-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I thought the minimum length barrel for a shotgun was 18 inches

Old GI
09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
GC: I just replaced my 870 stock-stock (can I say that?) with a Hogue Tamer. Haven't shot it yet. I did away with the stock because 1) I can't fire a "kicking" shoulder weapon of any kind, i.e. my Sako .300 WM, due to multiple shoulder surgeries on my strong side and am developing problems on my weak side as well and 2) it is for HD only (20" barrel). I have successfully done hip-shooting with the old stock tucked at near the hip. I'll advise.

crashdive123
09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Rebel - I have an old Sears and Roebuck 12 gauge, bolt action shotgun that somebody ruined by sawing off the barrel and stock. As others have said, it kicks like a mule. It was given to me, so I keep it. It is only intended for use inside the house when I need to do some remodeling.

Pal334
09-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Sarky, you are correct:
Under the National Firearms Act (NFA) it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a barrel length less than 18 in. or 46 cm and an overall length less than 26 inches) without a tax-stamped permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which requires a background check and a $200.00 fee for every transfer.[1] (Short-barreled muzzleloading blackpowder shotguns, in contrast, are not
illegal by federal law and require no tax-stamped permit, although they may be illegal under state law.) As with all NFA regulated firearms, a new tax stamp must be purchased before every transfer. Inter-state transfers must be facilitated through a Class III Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealer while intrastate transfers may be between two persons

Just pay the fees. I should have made that clear in my original post

hunter63
09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Pistol grip shotguns kick like an angry mule and are next to impossible to shoot accurately due to the necessity of hip shooting them. Don't even think about trying to shoot that monster with one hand. It won't be good. I believe TAPCO makes a collapsable stock for Rem 870 and others. That is a much better option IMO. Couple that stock with an 18" barrel and that is one pretty compact and handy set up. All I ever use on shotguns are regular full stocks. Regular full stocks are strong and simple and with an 18" barrel they too are pretty easy to tote around and store. Best.

I also agree, if it's to be folded/collapsable for transport or for tight quarters, the folder is the way to go.

Pistol grips transfer all the recoil to the wrist, at least the ones I've tried, even with the forearm addition.
You might get one shot to be accurate enough, I don't think I would want to rip of 5- 6 rounds with one, unless I really needed to.

One of the truck guns is a Mossberg 500, with a 18-1/2" barrel purchased from Cabelas (think the 1/2" makes it legal ?), called a "breacher" barrel.
It fits in a narrow slide in case, thet fits down behing the back seats of a pick-up.
This was a BIL, didn't want it any more, because the standard field barrel had the ribbing loose, so picked it up for really cheap, added the barrel, $90 bucks.

A pistol grip would make it "wider", so the case would have to be wider also, and would fit as well.

You can tuck the standard stock under your arm/against you side at hip level, and have a lot more control of follow-up shots.

Ole WV Coot
09-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. The only mod I have on my Winchester is a
heat shield on it's 18" bbl. Really don't need it but if I run 8 or so real fast it gets a tad warm.

KhonHd
09-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a side folder with pistol grip on my Winchester Defender. The shape of the folder almost takes my teeth out every time I shoot it. Just can't find the right way to cheek it. Its coming off and the full stock is going on.

The folder dosed save a bit of room and looks cool... but I don't care for it.

Pict
09-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I like the original top folder for the Rem 870, it is very compact but kind of brutal to shoot. Avoid the pistol grip only stocks, they look cool but make a very impractical weapon. I would just go for a side folder if you need something now for less cash. Mac

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1310/870topfolder8495551.jpg
This is not my gun.

rebel_chick
09-28-2009, 03:01 PM
My bf put the pistol grips on our shotgun, (after I told him that it was a BAD idea) and I am very mad at him. It is rediculous to treat a shot gun as a hand gun. It was not meant to be one. JMO. I would say if you must change the stock i would go with the folding one. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Rick
09-28-2009, 04:32 PM
I installed a six position adjustable stock with pistol grip on my Maverick 88 Security and then found I couldn't reach the slide release. So, off with new and back to the old. Dang new fangled inventions anyhow.

rebel
09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback on this. It saved me a lot of cash and aggravation. I'll keep it as is.

Old GI
09-28-2009, 07:36 PM
I just test-fired my 870. Hogue Tamer pistol grip and foreend. 20" barrel and 8-rd magazine extension (makes it pretty front heavy). Fired three rounds at 7 yards:

7 1/2 shot low brass: Very little felt recoil and did not lose target.

4 **** high brass: Some recoil (manageable) and easily regained target.

00 Buck: Recoil was more and the barrel jumped up and left; some in hand. Returned to target quicklly. Not completely unmanageable.

Conclusion: Based on my inability to fire from my shoulder and my preference for that as an HD weapon (I won't be firing 100 rounds/per day), I like the mod and will keep it. To each his/her own. Good discussion.

glockcop
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
GI, I'm glad it works for you but, Man.... there are lighter hanguns out there:) Just playin'. Have fun with that sucker. As for me, I'll fire my shotguns from the shoulder thank you very much. I'm just not a glutton for punishment. Hey if it works for Ya, why change. To each his own. Have you ever thought of training to shoot from your off side. I bet you'll still be more accurate shooting from your off side than with that pistol grip strong side. Maybe a little food for thought. But then again, maybe not. Best.

Rick
09-28-2009, 07:54 PM
If it works for you that's great. There are other munitions on the market that might help you.

Look through some of the munitions on this page. They may help enhance your weapon.

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__23/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

Old GI
09-29-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks, Guys. I used to fire weak side but that shoulder is going now as well.

Rick: Good source.

Dave

TangoFoxtrot
10-01-2009, 06:10 PM

I disagree my friend. I have an 870 with 18.5 barrel equipped with pistol grip and it absorbs alot of the recoil even when firing high brass buckshot or slugs. Alot depends on the material the stock is made from and overall quality.

glockcop
10-01-2009, 08:53 PM
I disagree my friend. I have an 870 with 18.5 barrel equipped with pistol grip and it absorbs alot of the recoil even when firing high brass buckshot or slugs. Alot depends on the material the stock is made from and overall quality.

NOT! You must have no nerve endings and I know you can't shoot that thing as accurately as a full stock. No one can. Can't get around physics. Sir Isaac Newton wrote these "law things" that are pretty rough to argue with. Just not going for it. But if you say so.........:). You gotta be one bad mammy jamma. I'll stay out of your way, You big tough guy :).
Stay safe.

Old GI
10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Accurate to 7 yards for my usage. I have an 870 in .410 for game shooting; my shoulder can handle that every once in a while.

TangoFoxtrot
10-09-2009, 09:18 AM
NOT! You must have no nerve endings and I know you can't shoot that thing as accurately as a full stock. No one can. Can't get around physics. Sir Isaac Newton wrote these "law things" that are pretty rough to argue with. Just not going for it. But if you say so.........:). You gotta be one bad mammy jamma. I'll stay out of your way, You big tough guy :).
Stay safe.
Maybe I didn't make it clear. My pistol grip shotgun does have a full stock.

glockcop
10-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Maybe I didn't make it clear. My pistol grip shotgun does have a full stock.

Well, that makes all the difference in the world. I stand corrected, Sir. Be safe, Brother.

sgtdraino
10-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I was thinking about converting a conventional wooden stock 12 ga. pump to something shorter and element friendly to take canoing / camping. Does anyone have experience with adjustable, folding or pistol grip shotgun stocks?

I have JUST the thing for you, I have owned two so far, and they are worth every penny. It is a line of adjustable and folding stocks made by the Knoxx company that have recoil compensation built into them:

http://www.blackhawk.com/catalog/Shotgun-Stocks,165.htm

These things are fantastic, I can't speak highly enough of them.

Rick
10-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Since the subject is shotgun stocks, may I recommend buying Sturm Ruger & Co. or Smith Wesson Holding Co.? Stocks have soared 20% and 40% respectively.

rebel
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I have JUST the thing for you, I have owned two so far, and they are worth every penny. It is a line of adjustable and folding stocks made by the Knoxx company that have recoil compensation built into them:

Thanks for the site. They look good and having your experience with the product is a big +.

aflineman
10-11-2009, 04:00 PM

+1 on the Knoxx/Blackhawk, great stocks.
I like the slider for the recoil reduction and adjustable pull. I take a lot of kids out shooting and this makes it easy to adjust to whomever is shooting the shotgun. Also makes the normal target loads feel almost like a .22 rimfire. Really nice for teaching new folks and not scaring/beating the crap out of them. http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

TangoFoxtrot
10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
I just bought a new Blackhawk NRS Specops (Knoxx) setup for my 870 and its Great!

Camp10
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Instead of messing up a perfectly good shotgun, go out and find a Springfield Arms M-6 Scout. It is an over-under shotgun/rifle usually in either .410/.22 or .410/.22 hornet. It holds the ammo in the stock, has no wooden parts and comes in stainless,parkerized or blued for any weather you can throw at it. The best part though is it folds in half and tucks about anyplace when you dont need it.

red lake
11-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Does it need to be a shotgun?

Look at the Henry AR7.

xj2000
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a side folder stock on my Winchester and am quite happy with it. I had a top-folding stock previously, and it sucked, so I switched.

Rick
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey XJ, why don't you fold your stock over at our Introduction section?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813