PDA

View Full Version : Eating found meat, dirty, poopy meat...."Warning Gross"

Sourdough
09-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, I know you would never do it. Hell, I would not do it if I were not an old geezer, waiting to see what I die of......???? So to be clear this is not fiction, It is happening. I always wondered about eating found animals, who died of unknown cause. I found a dead domestic turkey in the turkey pen this morning (4:30 AM). I was going to feed it to the bears, but I put it in the yard for 12 hours. WARNING THIS GETS GROSS.

So I watched the magpies feed on it. A raven ate some, but not much of it, truth is I chased the raven off after ten minutes (He ate a fair amount) then the magpies came back and ate. It started to look not edible, but they mostly ate around the head, neck and wing elbow. At 2:PM I put a bucket over it to keep the magpies off, but the bucket did not cover the whole bird, and they ate what stuck out (Head and tail and most of one wing).

It is cooking now and the cabin windows are getting steamed up.

Double Warning it starts getting real gross here: So at 5:30 PM which is at least 13 hours after discovery, I cut out the breast meat. Well, I have no running water, and hot water is hard to make. The bird died in filth and it was all over the outside of the bird, I considered taking it the 1/4 mile up to the creek to wash it, and decided to just butcher it, filth and all. OK, I wiped it as clean as I could with no water, but it has a fair amount of filth on it. I put them in the frying pan with lots of Olive Oil. As I said, they are still cooking. They are big, and I plan to over cook them. I have turned them about five times, and they are falling apart.

So if you made it this far: Question, what is the worst that could happen to me.....? Is Salmonella possible....? Will all the heat kill the filth (Turkey poop)....? I am not super worried as I have eaten other meat that bears have been feeding on.

It has been nice knowing you'all.....:tongue_smilie:

catfish10101
09-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Should have let the magpies and raven finish it, or see what else came to feed on it that you could make a meal out of.

Sourdough
09-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Should have let the magpies and raven finish it, or see what else came to feed on it that you could make a meal out of.

I have lots of food in the cabin......But, it was time to man-up, and find out, stop wondering, just eat some found meat.

Sourdough
09-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Very Chewy.....I put some horseradish on it, this stuff is like bubble gum.....or shoe leather. See you in the morning MAYBE.......

doug1980
09-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Well I think the only thing I would worry about is the turkey poop. That is some nasty stuff. I guess if you die than I'll feed your dog and take care of your geese for you. :) just kidding I hope you make it ok.

catfish10101
09-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Don't Forget To Send Some To The Q C Department!!!!! :dead::innocent:

Sourdough
09-28-2009, 05:36 AM

That is Funny.

crashdive123
09-28-2009, 07:07 AM
If you do - send some of those pilot biscuits that I've heard so much about.

Rick
09-28-2009, 07:28 AM
I suppose mankind has eaten found meat for generations whether it was on the African plains or the valleys of Europe. Of course, life expectancy was a tad bit less then, too.

I think your biggest concern comes from salmonella from the bird feces. Either because it was laying on it, some feeding bird added to it or some feces came in contact with the bird during cleaning. I'd be more concerned with it on your hands after handling the bird, I think, than from cooking it. Heat destroys the bacteria so if you washed your hands you are probably okay. It takes between 12-72 hours for symptoms to appear.

There are a host of diseases that can be contracted from the food we eat. Salmonella is but one. You might also be interested in E. coli, Campylobacter, Calicivirus, Shigella, hepatitis A, Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidia and, to a lesser extent, Clostridium botulinum.

If diarhea and/or vomiting develop, I'd see a doctor. Just sayin'....

2dumb2kwit
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM

That's real funny!!!

I smile, just thinking about Ken eating it! LOL:clap:

Ole WV Coot
09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
A Northern Road Kill type cafe. Stealing from us Hillbillies again? Drop dead thingys really should be avoided but hunting with your truck or a yearn for possum I can understand. That is why the chicken crossed the road, just to show the possum it could be done. Now
we can have possum anytime we drive. Possums are dumb. Guess we are what we eat.

wareagle69
09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I suppose mankind has eaten found meat for generations whether it was on the African plains or the valleys of Europe. Of course, life expectancy was a tad bit less then, too.

I think your biggest concern comes from salmonella from the bird feces. Either because it was laying on it, some feeding bird added to it or some feces came in contact with the bird during cleaning. I'd be more concerned with it on your hands after handling the bird, I think, than from cooking it. Heat destroys the bacteria so if you washed your hands you are probably okay. It takes between 12-72 hours for symptoms to appear.

There are a host of diseases that can be contracted from the food we eat. Salmonella is but one. You might also be interested in E. coli, Campylobacter, Calicivirus, Shigella, hepatitis A, Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidia and, to a lesser extent, Clostridium botulinum.

If diarhea and/or vomiting develop, I'd see a doctor. Just sayin'....
all the more reason to learn plants and mushrooms, i practice being a vegetarion as much as possible, meat i love to add but am trying to get it to a point where it is supplemental only, of i get a bird or rabbit great, but and heres the funny part,i won't take a risk with meat if it is questionable, can you please hand me my basket of mushrooms, thanks, so as i was saying everyone has acceptable risk factors, it is all in what you are comfortable with

rwc1969
09-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Very Chewy.....I put some horseradish on it, this stuff is like bubble gum.....or shoe leather. See you in the morning MAYBE.......

Sounds like a Mallard we once roasted over an open fire. tasted great, but was pretty tuff. Everlasting gobstopper of the bird world. LOL!

If you survive this Sourdough, you're immune system will be strong.

i eat roadkill, but nothin I will eat unless I know what killed it. I hung a deer and a coon or somethin got to the hindquarters. I trimmed that up and ate it.:tongue_smilie:

Rick
09-28-2009, 12:15 PM
WE - While all those thingies are generally associated with meat, they can be found on veggies and fungi, too. I mean, a bear could poop on a mushroom, you know.

Riverrat
09-28-2009, 04:16 PM
A doctor in this area loved to find road kill, he thought it very strange we did not eat animals that we found on the road or that we found dead. He is still going and he has has been here for years.

Ken
09-28-2009, 04:51 PM
If you do - send some of those pilot biscuits that I've heard so much about.

Hey, since there's only a bit left after everything else dined on it, no need to send any to Q.C. Enjoy it all yourself! Before you eat it, put a note in your pocket asking whoever finds you to let us know what happened.

Just send the Pilot Biscuits. I love those things. :)

NightShade
09-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Yikes.. This was no road kill.. This was a dead turkey in a pen due to unknown causes.. I grew up on small farm raising turkeys and other livestock... We always got rid of dead birds never ate them... The risk of disease from a bird that died from unknown causes is to high.... You my friend are a much braver man than I

NightShade
09-29-2009, 11:17 AM
I think its also important to note that Rick's list of diseases from food all come from eating spoiled or contaminated food... Which this would be as well due to the poop... But the list gets much longer when we talk about eating diseased meat... Which this probably was, unless the turkey died of old age

Ole WV Coot
09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
If you're still around I think you should get yourself a hobby. Knitting?

Stargazer
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
All I can think of right now is how lucky you are to have an outhouse without a door.I hope you make it through this science experiment without too much trouble.

cranky1
12-26-2009, 07:33 AM
unless its actually rotten and stinking there aint no problem. cook it up and enjoy. turkey,damn thats good stuff.

bulrush
01-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Cooking meat thoroughly will kill any bacteria on it. But it will still taste like sh*t.

klkak
01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
It's common for domestic turkeys to be scared to death. My uncle used to raise turkeys on his ranch. One day Uncle Joe sent my cousin and I out to the barnyard to catch a couple of banty chickens for dinner. Well we couldn't catch them so My cousin went and got his shotgun. He took a shot at one of those little chickens up in a tree and three turkeys in the pen behind us died. Uncle Joe was pretty mad but we ended up having fried turkey for dinner that night and for the next several days. Thats when we found out a domestic turkey can be scared to death.

Rick
01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Well that's cool. Next turkey season all I need to do is get a Halloween mask. Or go without one. Whichever.

klkak
01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Well that's cool. Next turkey season all I need to do is get a Halloween mask. Or go without one. Whichever.

Notice I said "domestic turkeys". Wild turkeys live in fear thats why they are so hard to hunt.

Rick
01-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Who said I hunt wild turkeys? Have you ever hunted on a turkey farm?

crashdive123
01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Really the only time I hunt Wild Turkey is when the first bottle starts to get a little low.

klkak
01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Oh yea, a couple of real funny guys. ha ha ha.............................ha.

Rick
01-14-2010, 08:39 PM
You can catch us nightly at 7:00 and 9:00 in the Wilderness Lounge.

Durtyoleman
02-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Found this and thought y'all might find it interestin'

http://www.masterjules.net/roadkill101.htm

D.O.M.:online2long: