PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat

COUESAZ
09-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Well we were out in the superstition mountains this last weekend scouting for our deer hunt and hopeing to find a few Bear we had been seeing. Saw a few deer, but no bear this trip. Anyways i was able to take a nice Cat with my springfield xd 40.

your_comforting_company
09-23-2009, 07:16 AM
thats a pretty nice cat. dont see them too often around here anymore, though we found some tracks when we were scouting the other day. I have walked up on them in the woods. kinda scary when they catch u off guard. I really wanna tan one of those into a possibles or game bag. where better to store a mess of squirrels than the belly of a big cat!
Nice catch!

crashdive123
09-23-2009, 07:43 AM
What do you do with it?

COUESAZ
09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
WE will skin it and tan it. It will most likly be sold at the fur sale in Globe az at the end of winter. I hope to have a truck load of coyotes,foxes, and Bobcats.

your_comforting_company
09-24-2009, 07:09 AM
IMO bobcats and foxes are too scarce around these parts to harvest. coyotes on the other hand are so plentiful now that the lawmakers have amended the laws so that we can now use electronic calls and there is no limit. there've been reports of coyotes running off with peoples pets. My parents have had them come right up in the yard
no bones about coyotes but foxes and bobs I personally leave alone.
I hope you get a truckload of them doggone dogs and I hope you sell every fur you make from them. Good luck and happy hunting!

equus
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
That was a nice pic of a bobcat. Mel and I had a halfbob. It was a male. Someone ran into my yard to hit him that made me mad. It was so funny he took up with me and only went to Mel when he wanted attention. He slept on my pillow at night.

COUESAZ
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
We have so many Bobcats and foxes as well as coyotes here in Arizona. Just last week I saw four Bobcats. There are more of them around than people relize they are just so unseen and stealth. I can not go calling coyotes with out calling in at least one fox, But in most cases the mate comes in with the first.

TucsonMax
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
We see Bobcats often, living in the foothills with a wash behind the house.
The 3rd pic is a bit hard to see, but there are 4 total, playing in my neighbor's tree.
And oh yeah, they take any pet they can find.

mccaw69
09-27-2009, 11:43 PM
sweet kill man,we have to really hunt em up here.sometimes calling works,sometimes not.

Mountain Man
09-28-2009, 04:43 PM
We see Bobcats often, living in the foothills with a wash behind the house.
The 3rd pic is a bit hard to see, but there are 4 total, playing in my neighbor's tree.
And oh yeah, they take any pet they can find.

Wow, now that sounds like a problem!

TucsonMax
09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Well... it does cut-down on the stray population... down to zero.

COUESAZ
09-28-2009, 08:13 PM
I did some bathroom work for a lady in cave creek AZ just north of scottsdale. She has two small tanks buil on the outside of her fence. She has two trail cameras set on the 24-7 She is just on the outside of a development. She has a few Mtn lions bobcats, deer and javalina watering there. The lions must feed on cats and dogs enough that the deer and javalina are not afraid to be food. well not many things will eat a javalina unless it is a must. HAHA

Penokeemtn5
09-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice cat,we use hounds and baited cubbies with 220 conibears to get em up here.

COUESAZ
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
We had a pack of hounds for lion and bear for 20 years. We are out of the hound work now. I just sold my last three dogs. Two red bones and one blac and tan.

Tootsiepop254
10-05-2009, 11:28 AM
The lions must feed on cats and dogs enough that the deer and javalina are not afraid to be food. well not many things will eat a javalina unless it is a must. HAHA

I read a thing not too long ago that says that mountain lions seem to prefer domestic pets to natural game.. easier hunting, I guess. Wonder how they conducted that study? :eek2:

When you trap, do you just discard the meat, or do you use it for something?

FVR
10-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Did a trek back in the mountains years ago. It was a hunt trek, eat what you shoot or bring in.

I was hunting for hogs, and one gent walks in with a bobcat. It was a Feb. evening and since we were a bunch of prim. guys, we skinned it out and cooked it up.

Man, that was good tasting cat. I mean it was pretty darn good when it came off the stick across the fire.

Taste like........................bobcat.

Tootsiepop254
10-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Man, that was good tasting cat. I mean it was pretty darn good when it came off the stick across the fire.

Taste like........................bobcat.

Predators are supposed to be sweeter than other meats. Is that true?

trax
10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
.......When you trap, do you just discard the meat, or do you use it for something?

I have had, in my day, open fire roasted: lynx, muskrat, beaver, rabbit. All from traps. I haven't been able to bring myself to eat mink (smelly...ewww) and the squirrels are too small and tough to bother with. Also martens, they're predators but I have no idea what one might taste like, too tough. I avoid wasting anything on an animal I've killed as much as possible. My dogs never had an issue chowing down on roasted squirrel and marten.

COUESAZ
10-06-2009, 04:16 PM
The trouble is that Cats have thin skin. So they can go bad fast and spoil. I have had cats in the past. they are not my cup of tea. I hunt them for the fur. I also hunt them as a game managment. I have been hired in the past as a hunter to track and kill bear and mountain lion that cause trouble for ranchers.

Tootsiepop254
10-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I miss game meat. We can't get it here, and my uncle who used to bring it to us no longer hunts. Venison and bear jerky have always been my favorite things. Never tried anything more exotic though. Except horse. I guess thats exotic for this country.