PDA

View Full Version : Another use for

oldsoldier
09-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Was doing a little web surfing...... Here's another use fo your Altoids tins. www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-Bread-Bake-Survival-Bread This is a neat link and wild idea.

crashdive123
09-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Another 20 or 30 tins and some cheese would make a nice cheese and cracker snack.

oldsoldier
09-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah. thats true.. There are a couple other uses there as well.

2dumb2kwit
09-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Mmmmmm.....a hot bisquit, and one of those little packs of honey to go on it....I'm gettin' hungry!:drool:

RangerXanatos
09-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Great post. Would have never thought of that.

oldsoldier
09-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Mmmmmm.....a hot bisquit, and one of those little packs of honey to go on it....I'm gettin' hungry!:drool:

2D come on over. BIG crockpot of homemade chicken noodle soup will be done in about 15-20 minutes.

hunter63
09-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Kind of a cool idea, seem those little tins are really handy.

Seems like a lot of stuff just to mix the dough, though, yon have to carry that around also?
Still looking for the recipe and method I saw in a cook, book by Bradford Alger a while back.
Discussed carrying your flour in a sack, and using the flour in the sack to form a bowl for mixing the ingredients.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Now a days I'm collecting any small tin I can. I bought my boys some M&M's the other day just so I could have the little round tin. The price I paid had to be for the tin,since there were only two small packs inside.

crashdive123
09-22-2009, 09:01 PM

Seems like a lot of stuff just to mix the dough, though, yon have to carry that around also?
Still looking for the recipe and method I saw in a cook, book by Bradford Alger a while back.
Discussed carrying your flour in a sack, and using the flour in the sack to form a bowl for mixing the ingredients.

I carry the ingredients for making bread in a zip lock bag. Mix and knead it in the bag. Slit it open to let it rise. Wrap it around a stick and bake it over a fire. Yum.

hunter63
09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
I carry the ingredients for making bread in a zip lock bag. Mix and knead it in the bag. Slit it open to let it rise. Wrap it around a stick and bake it over a fire. Yum.

Yeah, that's how I do it lately, also, or with more gear, the dutch oven.

I had found that recipe in a book at the library, should have copied it down.
They actually got rid of that book, too old, if I would have known that I would have asked for it.

Any way, zip-loc's a frowned on at Rendezvous, and I was trying to be primitive, one of them thar "hey ain't this cool, moments".

pocomoonskyeyes
09-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm Bannock huh? For rendezvous why couldn't you use a tin? A good tight fitting tin should be acceptable ,wouldn't it? Granted you might have to find a plain looking one.

crashdive123
09-22-2009, 09:28 PM

They actually got rid of that book, too old, if I would have known that I would have asked for it.

Any way, zip-loc's a frowned on at Rendezvous, and I was trying to be primitive, one of them thar "hey ain't this cool, moments".

I've never seen it done, but I can imagine the looks on peoples faces when you pour a flour mixture and make bread from a powder horn. A dried gourd would work well too.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

OK now I'm curious, Just WHAT did the Mountain Men and Trappers use?

Pict
09-23-2009, 07:07 AM
I used to bake hard tack and take it as a staple food. I'm sure an altoids tin could be adapted to that. Mac

Ole WV Coot
09-23-2009, 05:48 PM

My Grandma always made biscuits by forming a hole in the flower and mixing ingredients as you mentioned. No big deal to her and they were great.

I have used that method to mix concrete without a container and it works fine.

Rick
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Here's one for turning an Altoids Tin into an alcohol stove:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Altoids-Tin-Alcohol-Stove/