PDA

View Full Version : Rechambering an old .22 rifle

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Has anyone tried rechambering an old rifle. I have an early 1900's pump action .22 and the action works great. The barrel itself is in descent shape but the chamber appears swollen or worn. The gun fires but the brass swells or cracks making it unsafe. Any suggestions on a repair. I have already shortened the chamber slightly and adjusted the (bolt, for lack of a better word) to match.

SARKY
09-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Go to brownells.com and get a liner reamer and a barrel liner and just reline the barrel.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Go to brownells.com and get a liner reamer and a barrel liner and just reline the barrel.

I looked at the website, it looks like relining the barrel is easy enough. Then there is still the problem with the chamber. So is it that once it is relined you would need a chambering tool that would cut the chamber in the new liner. The product description states that it is not chambered.

Pict
09-20-2009, 04:37 PM
You might try to rechamber it to .22 magnum?

Mac

SARKY
09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
That is correct. When you bore out the barrel, it cleans out the chamber as well. This allows you to cut a brand new pristine chamber which will solve that problem. i was thinking about it, is the bore itself still good? If so, you could have the chamber portion of the barrel cut away, rechamber the remaing barrel and remount it. This would shorten the barrel. You also might check out Numrich for a spare barrel. They have a lot of old off the wall stuff.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Been searching around seems the .22 magnum bullet won't work with .22lr rifling. The .22 magnum is .224" so it would greatly invcrease pressure probably making it unsafe unless you relined the barrell too. I think shortening the barrell might be the best option and i will check around to see if there is a replacement. Here it is if anyone wants to help me search...

J.Stevens .22lr pump action Model 70 pat. 30-07. it is 22" including the chamber. I think it is pretty old maybe 1930's.

peter nap
09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Has anyone tried rechambering an old rifle. I have an early 1900's pump action .22 and the action works great. The barrel itself is in descent shape but the chamber appears swollen or worn. The gun fires but the brass swells or cracks making it unsafe. Any suggestions on a repair. I have already shortened the chamber slightly and adjusted the (bolt, for lack of a better word) to match.

Not much that you can rechamber to.
What I'd do is ream the existing chamber and put in an undersized bushing. Chamber that back to 22LR.

You can also buy a liner and ream the whole barrel and insert the liner, chamber and all.
Either the liner or bushing can be epoxied in or soldered.

SARKY
09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
I checked out
www.e-gunparts.com
but they don't have a barrel for your model. However one of the other barrels for another model might work.
The barrels run between $38.oo and $50.00

Sourdough
09-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I have had several .22LR firearms reamed out to .22 Magnum. I just did another S&W model 17

hunter63
09-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I have had several .22LR firearms reamed out to .22 Magnum. I just did another S&W model 17

I believe if I had a bolt or single shot .22, this is what I would do also.
I don't know if the action on a pump would cycle the longer case?

Just a though, but a friend of mine was looking for parts for a old Win pump. He finally got parts from of all places, Ringling Bro Circus World.
Seems that they have quite a shop, and work on the old guns for the trick shooting acts.
This was a while ago, but is a thought.

glockcop
09-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I agree with Sarky's suggestion of shortening the barrel by reaming in a new chamber in "fresh" steel. I would caution against rechambring an old rifle to 22 magnum due to the stresses it would put on the Pre WW2 steel. Throat may "wash out" quickly also.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I agree with Sarky's suggestion of shortening the barrel by reaming in a new chamber in "fresh" steel. I would caution against rechambring an old rifle to 22 magnum due to the stresses it would put on the Pre WW2 steel. Throat may "wash out" quickly also.

Glock, I think you and Sarky are spot on and I thank everyone for contributing because it gave me an array of options that ultimately pointed to the best option. It may be cost prohibitive, I do like the old gun though. I'll run it by a gunsmith or maybe a machine shop and we'll see if it is viable. Thanks!

glockcop
09-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Glad we could help. Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes. Best.

SARKY
09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
I know what you mean, it's just so familiar in the hand it becomes an extension of you. Good luck with the project.