PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here killed a bear?

hunter63
09-18-2009, 06:07 PM
With the discussion on guns and bears, I was just thinking, yeah i know, might be a problem?

I can say that I haven't, probably won't, unless one is determined to give me a bad time.
We do have a drawing for bear in Wisconsin, and have seen them on roads and in my friends back yard knocking the cr&p out of the bird feeders.

But after seeing one hanging in a butcher shop, skinned out, looked like a fat old lady hanging there and not pleasant smelling.
Sow was supposedly shot with a bow, but had 8 or 9, .45 holes in the back and rump.

So, I named brother bear my totem, and haven't hunted them.
Just curious.

Any way this one was posted as being hit by a combine in a corn field in WI.http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=14522

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/crop-2.jpg

SARKY
09-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Yes, i've hunted black bear. Only got one and that one only after one of the local tribe members told me how to prep it.
It's all just meat to me. If I am putting food in the freezer, i really don't care if it's squirrel, bunny, bird, deer, or bear.

doug1980
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
That is one big Black Bear...holy cow. Never seen one that big.

oly
09-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Never had the need yet, they leave me alone so I leave them alone.

COUESAZ
09-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes I have killed Bear. used to do it for a living. Infact I just saw 2 yesterday. I do not mean to stir things up but i have to call BS on this photo. It is a photo shop job for sure. I am sure it is a big bear but not that big.

Just my 2 cents worth.

doug1980
09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It has the size of a Brown bear but no way a Blackie. Must be one of them "corn fed" Black bears. :)

hunter63
09-18-2009, 08:02 PM
The pic has been called that before, but came from a local paper in WI.
So I don't know if it's real or not, just relaying the story, think what you want.

crashdive123
09-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I just looked at the pic. It's real. That's ole Emmy Lou there in the picture with the bear. Yep - ole four foot two Emmy Lou.

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Blow it up 200% and look at the feet both front and back. It looks like his paws are on back-wards.

Rick
09-18-2009, 08:22 PM
That settles it. I'm hunting bear with a combine if you can take them that size.

"What is the record weight of an American black bear?
The world record weight for an American black bear is 880 pounds. This was the recorded weight of a 10.75 year-old male bear shot in North Carolina in November 1998.

A black bear was hit and killed by a car near Winnipeg Canada, in 2001. The official recorded weight was 856.5 pounds, but it is estimated that the live weight of this large male was more than 886 pounds. The driver was not injured and there appeared to be little damage to the Mazda.

An 805-pound male American black bear was shot in Manitoba Canada, and in Pennsylvania males fairly consistently reach the record weight of 800+ pounds."

Source: http://www.americanbear.org/Size.htm

red lake
09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
I've started baiting a barrel so I hope to have one in the next 3 weeks. But that bear is really huge or it is some sort of trick photography. Like she is 20 feet further back from the bear or something

Rick
09-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Why do you want to hunt a barrel? Can't you just buy one?

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 10:23 PM
I have a huge Fat Black Bear feeding in the Back Yard. Doug1980 is coming down tomorrow maybe he can photo it.

crashdive123
09-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing pics of your mountain (and Thor).

Now Doug - remember the proper etiquette for visiting. Find out what is needed from town (you know how he hates to drive).

red lake
09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Why do you want to hunt a barrel? Can't you just buy one?

Aren't you a scholarly derrière!

doug1980
09-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Cool. Looking forward to seeing pics of your mountain (and Thor).

Now Doug - remember the proper etiquette for visiting. Find out what is needed from town (you know how he hates to drive).

I asked several times if or what he needed but he hasn't said anything. I have no idea what to take.

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 11:17 PM
I asked several times if or what he needed but he hasn't said anything. I have no idea what to take.

Doug, I don't need anything.....I have to go to Los Anchorage Monday and pick up my truck from the Transmission shop, and buy groceries.

doug1980
09-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Doug, I don't need anything.....I have to go to Los Anchorage Monday and pick up my truck from the Transmission shop, and buy groceries.

Ah well see that explains it. At least I tried and more importantly I remembered to ask. :clap:

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Ah well see that explains it. At least I tried and more importantly I remembered to ask. :clap:

You need to photo the outhouse and "Thor".........

doug1980
09-18-2009, 11:24 PM
You need to photo the outhouse and "Thor".........

:clap: It would be my pleasure to take pics of your doorless outhouse and big ol' walking stick. :)

pocomoonskyeyes
09-19-2009, 12:04 AM

You could always take him a bottle of his favorite strong beverage. Jes' sayin'...

doug1980
09-19-2009, 12:07 AM
You could always take him a bottle of his favorite strong beverage. Jes' sayin'...

LOL yeah but I don't even know what that is. :)

pocomoonskyeyes
09-19-2009, 12:10 AM
LOL yeah but I don't even know what that is. :)

There you go Hope. Fill the man in!!

pocomoonskyeyes
09-19-2009, 12:20 AM
After looking at the picture here's what I see.
1) The lady is not that tall as Crash I think suggested.
2) The distance between she and the bear is probably around 6-8 feet, maybe just a tad bit more. She also appears shorter than she actually is as she is bent at the waist.
3) The bear is not all that big(compare the size of the bear with the trash can right next to it. It would probably stand just a little over 6' if still alive.

Remember that in photography everything is perspective related. You don't need photoshop to make something look bigger (or smaller) than it really is. The right angle,the attention drawn to certain things that the viewer believes they know the size of. You get the idea.

COUESAZ
09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Here is one my friend just took on the Indian reservation a few weeks ago.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-19-2009, 12:25 AM

How big was this Bear? It looks to be bigger than the one in the other photo.

COUESAZ
09-19-2009, 02:07 AM
it was around 350 pounds. So It goes to show ho trick photos can be taken by setting back from the animal a bit.
We will be in some prime Bear country befor the sun comes up in the morning, Scouting for our deer hunt. I am sure we will se a bear or two so I will try to get some photos.

crashdive123
09-19-2009, 06:18 AM

French Vanilla Creamer

Rick
09-19-2009, 07:52 AM
or a French maid.

hunter63
09-19-2009, 10:29 AM

What did he shoot it with? Quite a rig there.

Sourdough
09-19-2009, 10:37 AM
or a French maid.

DING...Ding...Ding..WINNER....:clap:

COUESAZ
09-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I will have to ask him what rifle it is. I am sure it is a swarovski scope. The tripod is his invention called the Claw. He sale them to alot of hunters here in az. I hunt a deer called Coues Whitetail. They are a very small whitetail. A big one is around 120 pounds. Anyways you can take shots out to 4-500 yards. The claw sales big time to coues deer hunters. I just took a nice Bobcat this morning while we were out scouting for deer and hoping to run across a bear. We found lots of bear sign,but it was a very hot day so not much moving today. I will try and get a photo up of the cat today.

glockcop
09-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Sure have, all the time matter of fact. I killed a 12 pack of "Lites" yesterday at home :drunk:. Oh, waite........you said, "bear". Nevermind. Well then,...No I sure have not. Do "Crack Dealers" and "Robbery Perps" count :)? Guess not, huh? We won't go there. Waaaayyy too much to get into for the sake of the children :innocent:. Ya'll take care.

Stargazer
09-26-2009, 10:54 AM
I dont really care how big the bear is after looking at the pic.All I can think of is the shocked look on granny's face when she got caught with um how should I put this, her hand on the bears cookie jar.I bet granny checks the garage for trail cams before she does that again.

hunter63
09-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Sure have, all the time matter of fact. I killed a 12 pack of "Lites" yesterday at home :drunk:. Oh, waite........you said, "bear". Nevermind.
Ya'll take care.

I call that "working out", pumping aluminum, 12 oz at a time, not much weight, but a lota reps.

Jay
09-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I have killed one. a full grown male sloth bear. about six years ago. He kept comming at me. I had no choice. I was suspended for six months at the Uni. untill they deceded that I had no other option. ever since then Ive requested that one on the prof's accompany me but they are always too busy..

TucsonMax
09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Here's one, climbing a tree, my kid bagged at age 5. (sorry :-)

crashdive123
09-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Looks ferocious. You have a brave child.

Ole WV Coot
09-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Does running a couple off my neighbor's deck when he didn't clean his grill the night before count? I did hear when I was a little kid about a boy South of me in TN that killed one when he was 3. Personally I never believed it, he had to be at least 10 in my opinion.

Sourdough
09-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Does running a couple off my neighbor's deck when he didn't clean his grill the night before count? I did hear when I was a little kid about a boy South of me in TN that killed one when he was 3. Personally I never believed it, he had to be at least 10 in my opinion.

Was his name D. Crockett....?

Ole WV Coot
09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Yep, I do believe that was his name. He later became a politician so I know he was lying.

wildWoman
10-16-2009, 07:21 PM
My Sweetie has killed black bears for the meat. The moose was slow in coming this fall and the other day when we were out looking for a moose, we could have shot a black bear. Dark brown 4 or 5 year-old with a cream coloured splotch on his chest, in excellent shape and curious enough to let us come within 50 yards.
But he was just way too beautiful and we much prefer moose meat over bear, and since my partner left the decision up to me...we left the bear to get on with his life, froze our butts off for another week and then got a moose.
A bear becomes our choice when both mountain goat and moose hunt have failed.

cranky1
12-26-2009, 06:19 AM
bears are not magical beings, a well placed 3030 knocks them flat. a 338 knocks them just as flat. they are not bullet proof. they die just like any other animal. if you shoot one with a 3030 when he is comming at you he usually hits the ground or turns direction. again, they are not bullet proof.

Rick
12-26-2009, 08:41 AM
So how many have you killed?

crashdive123
12-26-2009, 08:44 AM
Well, there was that one that would of died if it weren't for that dadburn vest he was wearing.

Rick
12-26-2009, 08:45 AM
I was hoping he'd say Bear Grylls.

redwoodfox
12-26-2009, 08:16 PM
"so there i was just me my trusty bowie knife and my faithful hound, With a griz charging down on me"

Rick
12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah, yeah. Go on......

crashdive123
12-26-2009, 08:54 PM
"so there i was just me my trusty bowie knife and my faithful hound, With a griz charging down on me"

Yeah, yeah. Go on......

Then, upon realizing that he left his wallet with his Visa card in the den (get it - den) he stopped - returned home, only to charge another day.

Rick
12-26-2009, 11:53 PM
You are the antithesis of scary story telling. You know that, right?

canid
12-27-2009, 12:55 AM
he would, if he knew what antithesis meant...

crashdive123
12-27-2009, 07:11 AM
It's my inner child.

klkak
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I am an avid black bear hunter. I hunt and kill one every spring. I have killed black bear with .22 hornet, .44 mag, 30-30, 30-06, .338 win mag and 12 guage. I have a weakness for spicy black bear breakfast sausage with eggs (over easy), toast and strong coffee.

Sourdough
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
This thread is like "Groundhog Day" with Tom Hanks.........it just keeps coming back over and over...........OK, OK, OK, I may have had something to do with the termination of a few Ursus Arctos Horribillis and some Ursus Americanus.........now this thread can please stop reappearing.

sgtdraino
01-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I killed a beer, once.

Ole WV Coot
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
This thread is like "Groundhog Day" with Tom Hanks.........it just keeps coming back over and over...........OK, OK, OK, I may have had something to do with the termination of a few Ursus Arctos Horribillis and some Ursus Americanus.........now this thread can please stop reappearing.

HUH?? I do believe I had a cousin by that name, disappeared many years ago. Now I know what happened to ole Ursus:tongue_smilie:

Beo
01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I ripped the eyes off a teddy bear once, even had an old Smokey the Bear Teddy when I was a kid.
Oh my bad, you meant a real fur covered teeth and claws good ole fashioned Ursus arctos. Sorry that would be a no, Won't ever if I can help it. No reason to hunt them, or wolves for that matter.
Beo,

Beo
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Bear encounters
Attacks on humans

As a rule, brown bears seldomly attack humans on sight, and usually avoid people. They are however unpredictable in temperament, and will attack if they are surprised or feel threatened. Sows with cubs account for the majority of injuries and fatalities in North America. Habituated or food conditioned bears can also be dangerous, as their long-term exposure to humans causes them to lose their natural shyness, and in some cases asosciate humans with food. Small parties of one or two people are more often attacked than large groups, with no attacks being recorded against parties of six people or more. In contrast to injuries caused by American black bears, which are usually minor, brown bear attacks tend to result in serious injury and in some cases death. In the majority of attacks resulting in injury, brown bears precede the attack with a growl or huffing sound, and seem to confront humans as they would when fighting other bears: they rise up on their hind legs, and attempt to "disarm" their victims by biting and holding on to the lower jaw to avoid being bitten in turn. Such a bite can be as severe as that of a tiger, with some human victims having had their heads completely crushed by a bear bite. Most attacks occur in the months of July, August and September, the time when the number of outdoor recreationalists, such as hikers or hunters, is higher. People who assert their presence through noises tend to be less vulnerable, as they alert bears to their presence. In direct confrontations, people who run are statistically more likely to be attacked than those who stand their ground. Violent encounters with brown bears usually last only a few minutes, though they can be prolonged if the victims fight back.
Attacks on humans are considered extremely rare in the former Soviet Union, though exceptions exist in districts where they are not pursued by hunters. Siberian bears for example tend to be much bolder toward humans than their shyer, more persecuted European counterparts. In 2008, a platinum mining compound in the Olyotorsky district of northern Kamchatka was besieged by a group of 30 bears who killed two guards and prevented workers from leaving their homes. Ten people a year are killed by brown bears in Russia. In Scandinavia, only three fatal attacks were recorded in the 20th century.
Native American tribes sympatric to brown bears often viewed them with a mixture of awe and fear. North American brown bears were so feared by the Natives that they were rarely hunted, especially alone. When Natives hunted grizzlies, the act was done with the same preparation and ceremoniality as intertribal warfare, and was never done except with a company of 4-10 warriors. The tribe members who dealt the killing blow were highly esteemed among their compatriots. Californian Indians actively avoided prime bear habitat, and would not allow their young men to hunt alone, for fear of bear attacks. During the Spanish colonial period, some tribes, instead of hunting grizzlies themselves, would seek aid from European colonists to deal with problem bears. Many authors in the American west wrote of Natives or voyagers were seen with lacerated faces and missing noses or eyes due to attacks from grizzlies. Within Yellowstone National Park, injuries caused by grizzly attacks in developed areas averaged approximately 1 per year during the 1930s through to the 1950s, though it increased to 4 per year during the 1960s. They then decreased to 1 injury every 2 years (0.5/year) during the 1970s. Between 1980-2002, there have been only 2 grizzly bear-caused human injuries in a developed area. However, although grizzly attacks were rare in the backcountry before 1970, the number of attacks increased to an average of approximately 1 per year during the 1970s, 1980's, and 1990's
Just some food for thought,

Beo,

hunter63
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
That was Bill Murry.

Sourdough
01-11-2010, 12:09 PM
That was Bill Murry.

I was just testing everyone....and you are the winner....Now the truth is, I was wrong, it was Bill Murry.