PDA

View Full Version : Question about Teflon coated bullets

NightShade
09-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Ok.. So I have a variety of different rounds for my rifle... one that I really like is Winchester Supreme Elite XP3.. Nickel casings, teflon coated, and ballistic tips... Now I know that the Teflon coating reduces barrel friction..hence a slightly higher velocity with same amount of propellant of a similar round without teflon coating.... Someone told me that the teflon will actually clean the barrel as it is travelling through it to help reduce barrel fouling... obviously I'd still hafta clean th barrel..... My question is does anyone know if this is actually true or just a stupid marketing gimmick/ misunderstanding by the guy who told me..

Ken
09-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I suspect it's BS. I prefer to rely on this stuff (it's got teflon in it):

http://www.gundogsonline.com/shooting-supplies/gun-cleaning-supplies/hoppes-dri-lube.html

or this stuff.....

http://www.botachtactical.com/breaklubpres2.html

WildHog
09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
Think about it, powder is behind bullet. Bullet cleans barrel and powder comes behind and fouls things up. bunch of BS

glockcop
09-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I believe the Win's are Moly coated bullets. This is used to increase velocity and slightly lessen copper fouling. It's reduction in fouling is very minimal and is for the most part a gimmick. That said on a rare occasion a particularly rough barrel can benifit. Best.

NightShade
09-18-2009, 07:26 AM
Think about it, powder is behind bullet. Bullet cleans barrel and powder comes behind and fouls things up. bunch of BS

That's pretty much what I was thinkin'.... Even if it was true, don't think I could bring myself to stop cleaning the barrel!

hunter63
09-18-2009, 05:54 PM
I agree that it's probably a marketing thing.
What are you shooting?, rifle and game, yeah, I know it doesn't matter for your question on the coating.

I also am not really pleased with the results I have witnessed on white tail deer with ballistic tips, seen several that a lot of meat was sorta blown up?

SARKY
09-18-2009, 07:07 PM
And there was moly coating (molydniumdisufide) which was supposed to smooth out a barrel by filling in the rough spots with this super slippery stuff that bons to metal. Over time it wound up fouling the barrel.

crashdive123
09-18-2009, 07:26 PM
How do these coatings affect the penetrating power of a bullet?

glockcop
09-18-2009, 11:57 PM
How do these coatings affect the penetrating power of a bullet?

None. This Moly coating is a very thin polymer / teflon type that does nothing to the guilding metal's structural integrity. May as well just rub a black crayon on your "regular" bullets. Stay safe.

Ole WV Coot
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Everything marketed is "new & improved". Lot of it is to appeal to the person too lazy or stupid to clean a firearm. Need to carefully separate the wheat from chaff when it comes
to what you buy and especially what you feed your firearms.