PDA

View Full Version : Earn $1,000.00 Cash Per Month To Survive In The Wilderness

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, Anybody who wants to give it a try.......kind of a practice run for say the next six months, here is the deal......You put some amount of money in the pot (Say $3,000.00) and I'll double what you put in (say $6,000.00). That is $9,000.00 total. Every day you stay you get $50.00 stay 180 days you leave with $9,000.00 total and the Book Rights. However: if you come out or quit for any reason, I keep what is left in the pot, but you still get $50.00 for each day out there.

Example: stay 100 days you get $5,000.00 and I keep the balance $4,000.00 Plus I'll keep an eye on you, if you get in trouble and want out just put the signal flag out and we will get you out. You will be insight of a small town and we will watch you through spotting scopes. You can have "NO" human contact or you loose by default. You have 30 days to get ready.

wildWoman
09-13-2009, 05:41 PM
:taz: Pick me! Pick me! :winkiss:

Rick
09-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Not to be picky but the most you can win, in your example, is $6000. You already owned the $3000 you put up. Still, that's $50 a day for just living. Any resupply of staples or are they completely on their own?

Ole WV Coot
09-13-2009, 06:09 PM
The squirrels are happy, not all the nuts are in the woods. Food for the winter.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-13-2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry not me. I know enough about Alaska to know that I don't want any part of it now or ever. If the "prize" were say $ 50,000,000,000 I'd think about it. Yes Folks that reads 50 billion. No Thanks. I don't even want my initials thrown in the hat, much less my name.
Anything I want to see in Alaska will be done by pics,or TV. No offense to any Alaskans but I have no desire to go ANY further North than I already am. I already live further North than I would like. I'd rather be back home.

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
:taz: Pick me! Pick me! :winkiss:

I would gladly pick you. How big is that Boyfriend anyway.....??? You can come live with me any day LADY......

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 06:47 PM
if i put in lets say 15,000 cash will you put in 30,000 cash, if so the mrs says i can do it

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Not to be picky but the most you can win, in your example, is $6000. You already owned the $3000 you put up. Still, that's $50 a day for just living. Any resupply of staples or are they completely on their own?

Rick, It is a very calculated wager, it is a two too one wager. If they did it they double there money. If they fail I get paid for risking my money. It can be done, and has been done many times. Read "The Wilderness of Denali" by Charles Sheldon he did it 100 years ago and for two years.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-13-2009, 06:51 PM
My question is how many have done it starting at this time of year,with winter so close.

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
You can take all you can carry the first 1,320 feet, that is 440 yards. Anything you set down or drop stays. If you can pack 200 Pounds 1/4 mile then that is what you take up the mountain. After you cover the first 440 yards you can set your gear down and relay it over hours or days. But you only that what you can back on your back, in your pockets, in your hands, the first 440 yards. You can not drag anything.

We have worked on this for 40 years. The what to take.

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 07:14 PM
uh helloooo did you get my answer????????
poco i think it would be foolish to do this at this time of the year starting in april or may would be the best, also gives one proper preperation time, if someone where to show up next month i would be putting money on hope to win this round.

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 07:29 PM
if someone where to show up next month i would be putting money on hope to win this round.

Yea, Me also. I am betting 2 to 1 that they fail. I could not do it. But it can be done. The real fun is in "What gear do you take" and how much weight can you pack 1/4 mile.

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
is that another thread?
or do you want it answered here?

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 07:39 PM
ok you got me thinking here pops
what is the terrain like for this 440 and where the vic err contestant would be living
is there water source near by?
how is one to catch food?
can one hunt or fish legally?
now i have a few ideas that i will put to paper and work out in the next couple of days including wieghts of belongings and such
gotta feed the critters be back soon

pocomoonskyeyes
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Personally I think that in 30 days ol' Sourdough could wager 10 times as much and still make money!! I couldn't get my hands on all the proper equipment by spring much less 30 days!!

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 07:59 PM
ok you got me thinking here pops
what is the terrain like for this 440

We can make that fairly easy terrain. We have played this game hundreds of times. The point is you can't pack in 2,000 pounds. The original game was what would you take if you had to pack it at least one mile. And we decided 150 pounds was do able, but 40 years ago we were 23 years old, and bad to the bone, In a wilderness tough way.

Summer or winter you would need a wood stove and stovepipe. 5# of nails, etc. The fun is reduce the nails and add shrink'wrap. The original game was if you were restricted to what you could carry, how long could you stay, months, years, one winter, ?????? You need winter boots and summer boots, etc.

Mountain Man
09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
if i put in lets say 15,000 cash will you put in 30,000 cash, if so the mrs says i can do it

So no answer to this.... :tongue_smilie:
BIG money contest :D

Sourdough
09-13-2009, 08:55 PM
So no answer to this.... :tongue_smilie:
BIG money contest :D

No.... and the reason is that this is a careful gamble. I would be better, to risk wise putting $30,000.00 on five different players. I feel that over all the odds are in my favor. can someone do it, yes. They only have to go 61 days and I am loosing money. This is not a TV program......I figure to win this wager. I am not a rich man, but I will take a calculated risk. I don't feel like I am snookering anyone, because it is do'able. My passion is studying people who have done it.

wildWoman
09-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I would gladly pick you. How big is that Boyfriend anyway.....??? You can come live with me any day LADY......

He's about 6'2" but it didn't say anything about living with you! That would not go over well anyway, Sour/Hope...you know how testy northern women are...you need to get yourself a meek southern girl who doesn't know a thing yet :)

hoosierarcher
09-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, Anybody who wants to give it a try.......kind of a practice run for say the next six months, here is the deal......You put some amount of money in the pot (Say $3,000.00) and I'll double what you put in (say $6,000.00). That is $9,000.00 total. Every day you stay you get $50.00 stay 180 days you leave with $9,000.00 total and the Book Rights. However: if you come out or quit for any reason, I keep what is left in the pot, but you still get $50.00 for each day out there.

Example: stay 100 days you get $5,000.00 and I keep the balance $4,000.00 Plus I'll keep an eye on you, if you get in trouble and want out just put the signal flag out and we will get you out. You will be insight of a small town and we will watch you through spotting scopes. You can have "NO" human contact or you loose by default. You have 30 days to get ready.

Questions:
1) where is it to be?
2) what can we bring?
3) what if we are broke and can't put up what we don't have?
4) if it's close to a town what happens if accidental contact with other people? say someone walking a dog or a conservation officer or policeman?
5) Are moonlight trips into town to dumpster dive allowed?

wareagle69
09-13-2009, 11:29 PM
No.... and the reason is that this is a careful gamble. I would be better, to risk wise putting $30,000.00 on five different players. I feel that over all the odds are in my favor. can someone do it, yes. They only have to go 61 days and I am loosing money. This is not a TV program......I figure to win this wager. I am not a rich man, but I will take a calculated risk. I don't feel like I am snookering anyone, because it is do'able. My passion is studying people who have done it.

sooooo, your saying i'm a bad risk????????? boy if i had a nickel for everytime i've heard that:innocent:

NightShade
09-13-2009, 11:48 PM
You can take all you can carry the first 1,320 feet, that is 440 yards. Anything you set down or drop stays. If you can pack 200 Pounds 1/4 mile then that is what you take up the mountain. After you cover the first 440 yards you can set your gear down and relay it over hours or days. But you only that what you can back on your back, in your pockets, in your hands, the first 440 yards. You can not drag anything.

We have worked on this for 40 years. The what to take.

oh... that is so tempting..... 440 yards???... I can carry ALOT for that short of a distance!!!!!!!!!!.... I think I was around 10 when it dawned on me that I carried way too much stuff... it would be easier to learn to live with a little...so I started learning as much as possible of surviving with what nature gave me...
Not to mention I am younger than most people here (Hint:I have not been workin' on this 40 years) and in tip top shape... I put rocks in my pack when I'm just hikin' around for fun!!

****REALITY CHECK****- ALASKA???... This late in the year???? with only 30 days to Prep??? .... Geez, I am not crazy!!!.. tho my wife would argue that...

oly
09-13-2009, 11:55 PM
No Internet access? Can I carry my lumpy chair that far? Sorry but Im out!!!

wilf123
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
ill do it but i only got$1000 any takers

Sourdough
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM
wilf123, I layed it out in the other thread, You put up $1,000.00 I'll but up $2,000.00 I just want you to be aware I am in this to win some or all of your $1,000.00 I might loose, but that is not my goal.

wilf123
09-18-2009, 03:41 AM
so i get to take what i want as long as i can carry it 440 yds,thats all my food stuffs ammo shotgun ,and everything else ,and make $50 a day after 20 days i break even and then im making money as long as i make no cantact with others ,what type of shelter am i allowed to make for myself and what about hunting permits

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 07:37 AM
You can make any shelter you want. It should still be above zero when you leave. and rarely will get below -23* below zero. So I would take a small light weight wood stove. I would try to find a silk wall tent maybe 6' X 8' or have one made, suggest Alaska Tent & Tarp. There are fish in the near by river to eat. Also mice, voles, shrews, etc. I think a good man can hump 200# for a 1/4 mile. But you will need a very good pack frame, I suggest Barney's Sports on Northern Lights Blvd. Anchorage, Alaska, figure $400.00 to $750.00 for a good frame and moose pack.

Fletcher
09-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Hope, when are you going to tell them about the first 440 yards???????
I think i know where you are talking about.

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 10:34 AM
There is a road used by the rafting companies that he can use for access. I think it will be hard enough, dealing with the weather & isolation. This feat can be done, but it won't be fun. Last night I started the reread of the guy who did it in 1906.

oly
09-18-2009, 10:52 AM
I dont think a freezer will be required to preserve your meat.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-18-2009, 12:11 PM
so i get to take what i want as long as i can carry it 440 yds,thats all my food stuffs ammo shotgun ,and everything else ,and make $50 a day after 20 days i break even and then im making money as long as i make no cantact with others ,what type of shelter am i allowed to make for myself and what about hunting permits

Wilf what you are missing is that the ORIGINAL deal - you put up $3000 Sourdough puts up $6000 - you make $50/day drop it to 1/3 of original and your proceeds also drop to 1/3. However you are spending the first 20 days making back your own money... That's 3 weeks to break even. I believe it CAN be done, But even Sourdough admits he couldn't do it and he lives there already.

wilf123
09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
if im to do it ill be bringing my own gear ,the only thing that bothers me are there any bears in the area ,i should be able to make a half decent shelter in a day and gather firewood enough for the first night ,depending on what time i set out and how long it takes me to get there .

Sourdough
09-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Lots of bears, Grizzly, Brown Bears, & Black Bears. But they are nice Bears, having said that, I take a firearm to the mail box, the out house, anyplace outside the cabin. There is only one real big Brown Bear, But he is as big as they get, and has not been a problem. And I honestly do not think bears will be a problem.

ALSO: You might want to reread posts #1 & #3 to be clear if you put up $1,000.00 and I put up $2,000.00 that is $3,000.00 divide $3,000.00 by 180 days and you get $16.67 per day. You have to be there 61 days before you start getting any winnings. Anything less that 60 days I get $16.67 of your money. On the 60th day we are even'steven.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Lots of bears, Grizzly, Brown Bears, & Black Bears. But they are nice Bears, having said that, I take a firearm to the mail box, the out house, anyplace outside the cabin. There is only one real big Brown Bear, But he is as big as they get, and has not been a problem. And I honestly do not think bears will be a problem.

ALSO: You might want to reread posts #1 & #3 to be clear if you put up $1,000.00 and I put up $2,000.00 that is $3,000.00 divide $3,000.00 by 180 days and you get $16.67 per day. You have to be there 61 days before you start getting any winnings. Anything less that 60 days I get $16.67 of your money. On the 60th day we are even'steven.

Sorry Hope I never was too good at math.LOL I was still thinking about $50/day when I wrote that. I'm shutting up now and getting out of your way......

wilf123
09-19-2009, 12:39 PM
grizzly attacks your as good as dead ,black bears iv been told to fight them if they attack are brown bears grizzly bears and you take a firearm to the bog,,still would have been nice to get the expirence and earnd some money ,but sod that ill keep my grand and find another way.

Sourdough
09-19-2009, 05:30 PM
OK, I am with drawing this offer.....As I don't want it hanging out forever. But we can sure talk about what gear whould be good to take.

Winnie
09-19-2009, 05:38 PM
When do you really start to see temps dropping away Sourdough? By the sounds of things our daytime and night-time temps are pretty much the same at the moment. I'd be interested to know.

Oh and my first piece of gear would be a very, very good guide!

pocomoonskyeyes
09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
When do you really start to see temps dropping away Sourdough? By the sounds of things our daytime and night-time temps are pretty much the same at the moment. I'd be interested to know.

Oh and my first piece of gear would be a very, very good guide!

LOL Remember Winnie you have to carry them for 440 yds.(400 meters):innocent::clap: PLUS everything else!! You must be one strong woman!!

Winnie
09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Oh no, no, no, Poco, you really don't think I'd be daft enough to attempt that do you? I saw through it in the first post.
I was just interested in Sourdoughs weather patterns from a first hand point of view, that's all.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-20-2009, 08:49 AM
No Winnie you are not Daft!! It was just your last sentence, that I just couldn't resist.:blushing:

Winnie
09-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Ooops Poco, had a dolly moment, I was thinking more along the lines of the guide carrying me!:innocent:
That was just a reply to Soudough's question about discussing what could be taken. I thought it very sensible myself!:innocent:

pocomoonskyeyes
09-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Ooops Poco, had a dolly moment, I was thinking more along the lines of the guide carrying me!:innocent:
That was just a reply to Soudough's question about discussing what could be taken. I thought it very sensible myself!:innocent:

Then you might want to see if there are any Sherpa guides that are familiar with Alaska. I hear they are phenomonal when carrying Equipment!!

Rick
09-20-2009, 09:41 AM
This would probably be an appropriate pack to take up there...just sayin'.

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q348/safe_zone/big-pack-1.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Man that's one HUGE backpack!! Even stuffed with newspapers that would weigh about 50-60 lbs!!!

Sourdough
09-20-2009, 09:46 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the guide carrying me!:innocent:

The guide might not carry you where you wanted to go. But then again you might enjoy a guide ride............:innocent:

Winnie
09-21-2009, 03:51 AM
The guide might not carry you where you wanted to go. But then again you might enjoy a guide ride............:innocent:

Who cares about where, as long as he's tall and ruggedly hansome, I'm easy...err up for a ... err Think I'll stop now, I see trouble ahead.........:blushing:

2dumb2kwit
09-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Who cares about where, as long as he's tall and ruggedly hansome, I'm easy...err up for a ... err Think I'll stop now, I see trouble ahead.........:blushing:

:noway: I........I.......I.......Uh........Um.......

crashdive123
09-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a job for the UK QC. Dress up 2D2K and send him up.

BruceZed
09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Earn $1,000.00 Cash Per Month, but pay $3000 upfront. Strange that you work for free for the first 90 days. Good deal for you as most will not last more than 30 days. You get a months entertainment as some guy hunts for vermin near your home and you get payed $2000 to watch his agony. More importantly you are placing the "victim" in an area nearly your home so the chance of living off the land is close to impossible.

If you want this to work give the guy a fair chance and skip the voyeurism part. Buy his a SPOT if he needs it.

Sourdough
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Earn $1,000.00 Cash Per Month, but pay $3000 upfront. Strange that you work for free for the first 90 days. Good deal for you as most will not last more than 30 days. You get a months entertainment as some guy hunts for vermin near your home and you get payed $2000 to watch his agony. More importantly you are placing the "victim" in an area nearly your home so the chance of living off the land is close to impossible.

If you want this to work give the guy a fair chance and skip the voyeurism part. Buy his a SPOT if he needs it.

Guess you did not read the whole thread................:winkiss: