PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Favorite Time Period

Beo
11-01-2007, 10:05 AM
If ya'll could live in any time period what would it be?
Mine would be in the 1750' or 1760's right before and during the French & Indian War. I would love to have lived back then, knowing what I know now (as far as survival goes) with my longbow and flintlock. Even the politics, cause I'd alert the Native American Tribes as to what was coming. Is that sedition? Too bad. :)
No taking the firearms you have now either, everything else is okay (yeah Sarge ya can bring that K-bar of yours)

trax
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
mid 1800's, and me too on the "sedition" I'd definitely want to let a few people know what was coming.

Beo
11-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Yeah, drive them palefaces out :D or keep them in line. While being Irish/American I'm a paleface... my brother-in-law is Ojibwe. Now I can't say I was raised and trained by native elders but I learned alot of skills from his dad, brothers, and uncles.
And I don't belive anyone discovered America, you can't discover a land when the Natives are already there and greeting you, if it weren't for them they'd of all starved the first winter!

trax
11-01-2007, 01:55 PM
And I don't belive anyone discovered America, you can't discover a land when the Natives are already there and greeting you,

I've always thought I should just jump on a plane for England or France and when I land, hop out and plant a flag and "discover" them. I could claim them as new territory for Traxistan :D

trax
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, drive them palefaces out :D or keep them in line.

Well, selfishly, I've just always wanted to participate in a buffalo hunt before the herds were decimated the way they were, but I wanted enough technology that firearms were available to me. You've seen the pictures right? Where they'd ride right into the herd, load a single shot muzzleloader on horseback and make the shot? Kind of makes most "extreme" sports sort of pale by comparison.

MCBushbaby
11-01-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm always a fan of feudal Europe. Knights and castles and marauding Visigoths. Robin Hood and mercenaries. The list continues.

I guess I've always been a fan of siege warfare, phallaxes and strategies that did not involve whoever had the best aircraft or tank.

Beo
11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
So true bro.

FVR
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Beo, you're a trekker, you can't hide.

Honestly,

It would be this time period. I have the knowledge and some of the skills of the early pioneers and mountain dwellers, along with the interest.

I once told my grandpop that I thought I was born to late in time. He said I was born just at the right time. A time that the old ways are still new, a time that as the old ways start to get forgotten, and I, FVR can continue some of the old ways and pass them onto my children. Who in turn will pass them on to their children and so on.

Modern day hunters with all their gadgets and toys, still look in aww when I pull out my home made stickbow or my 67" long Lancaster rifle. Then when you throw in primitive skills..................

I will be at the local elem. school on the 20th dressed in buckskins and critter clothes, educating little ones on Indian and primitive skills.

They already had a dose of the critter skins. Yeh, some see their daddy's deer heads on the wall, but to actually run your hands through the skin, or burry your face in a gun cover that is the softest plucked muskrat you'll ever feel. To pick up and hold wild boar tusks and to see how coarse and rough the hair is. Let's not forget about the monster 10pt rack that they got to hold up to their little heads, even the teachers had amazed comments at the size of it. Yeh, I hunted it, 5 bucks at a yard sale. Spotted, stalked, picked a spot, whoooooshhhhh, got'm, here's your 5 bucks maam, and thanks.

Beo
11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
FVR, honest as ever, I think you are right. Taking my son and his friends out and showing them the skills to live off the land is really satisfying, and nothing beats my Long Land Pattern Brown Bess Flintlock Musket in .65 cal or my longbow.
Yeah I'll stay right here.
And thanks.
Beo,

Beo
11-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Second thought gimme 1756 :D

FVR
11-01-2007, 09:46 PM
You'd be in "The Seven Years War" that I believe lasted 9 or 10 years. Chances are you would be participating in the French & Indian War.

Maybe, just maybe you would be serving with a young Swamp Fox.

Post a pic of that Brown Bess and your knife.

Beo
11-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah, but I'd be with the Huron, or Ottawa, Mohawk, or Deleware. Probably Huron or Deleware. Then scout out towards the Ohio and link up with the Miami actually its (Myaamia) but of course we palefaces screw up everything we come in contact with. But all the while I'd be warning them of the encroaching white bastards from France and England, tell them of how the Spanish freaks were sneaking up on them from the south and raise an army of millions of Native Americans and we sweep them all away before us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn that was quite a dream. :D :D :D

HOP
11-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Right now is fine with me you get a lot from old and new. I like the old ways but enjoy the refinement of the old ways aswell. Regardless of your equipment you are practicing an old skill. The only guy to die on the Voage of discovery did so from appendicits.

sh4d0wm4573ri7
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I guess I would like early 1800's preferably in the Yukon or the Rockies always dreamed of being the mountain man trapping hunting etc.

Beo
11-02-2007, 09:34 AM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3201/brownbesssw9.th.png (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brownbesssw9.png)

Here's my Brown Bess Flintlock FVR. Which knife u talking bout as I have several?

Beo
11-02-2007, 09:41 AM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7324/woodencanteenpj7.th.jpg (http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodencanteenpj7.jpg)

Here's my wooden canteen, although I don't use it alot, I use a waterskin most of the time.

RobertRogers
11-02-2007, 09:46 AM
My avitar, Robert Rogers of Rogers Rangers fame points to the idea I too would like the 1750 - 1770 time period.

Beo
11-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Here here RobertRogers, I'll go wit ya :)

Sarge47
11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Right now is fine with me you get a lot from old and new. I like the old ways but enjoy the refinement of the old ways aswell. Regardless of your equipment you are practicing an old skill. The only guy to die on the Voage of discovery did so from appendicits.

Yeah, look at the medical strides we've made. Lot's more prescription drugs Doctors can wrongly prescribe. Seriously though, the life expectantcy was a lot shorter back then.

SemperParatus
11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah, look at the medical strides we've made. Lot's more prescription drugs Doctors can wrongly prescribe. Seriously though, the life expectantcy was a lot shorter back then.

Shorter for sure but more freedom. I'd make that trade as long as the shorter was just a possibility. Not guaranteed. Early 1800's would work for me but only because I'm white. If I was native American then early 1700's would be better but If I was black, now would be a good time. Guess it all depends on ethnic and geographical perspective.

Beo
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
You move to the wilderness where you get'n medical insurance smarty pants :D

trax
11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
You selfish prick you want me to die don't you? :D

Well, not before you said that, but actually..now....:D

FVR
11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Beo,

Your trekking knife. I don't have a pic of mine yet, but basically it's a med. size steak knife made from an old file.

Here is my long gunhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/205924-1.jpg

My shooting baghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/100_1726.jpg

This gear goes in my haversackhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Bag2.jpg

except the flint and steel, it now has it's own case that stays on my person via a sash.

tfisher
11-02-2007, 09:31 PM
When the Shawnee were strong, and we were free in our own land

Sarge47
11-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Beo,

Your trekking knife. I don't have a pic of mine yet, but basically it's a med. size steak knife made from an old file.

Here is my long gunhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/205924-1.jpg

My shooting baghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/100_1726.jpg

This gear goes in my haversackhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/Bag2.jpg

except the flint and steel, it now has it's own case that stays on my person via a sash.

Fantastic work on the pouch, FVR, did you make that yourself? I ought to see what you would charge me for a "poacher's Pouch". Thats a bag that hangs from the belt used by "Buskers", (street magicians). Note this one made by hand from one of the most famous "Buskers" of all:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1196

The problem on this is the price. Way too much.

Tony uk
11-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I would want to go to the future for a day and buy some high tec survival kit :D probily in the 2060 year

FVR
11-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Sarge,

The leather one a friend made, the blanket one I made.

I use the leather one for shooting, the blanket one is for when I'm just diddy bobbing in the woods.

I need to get a disc drive adapter on this new fangled computer and I will post a few new pics of knives and hawks. I have a hawk that ya'll will really like. No wood, it's more of a combat ax that is a great thrower and a good fighting hawk/ax.

corndog-44
11-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Late 1700s-early 1800s

Nativedude
11-05-2007, 01:42 AM
Hello all,

My favorite period of time is before the Europeans arrived in, what is now, the "Americas." The time when the Indians, the true Natives ("Americans",) thrived on this continent. As usual the white man screwed everything up when they came here! I do, as well, like the time period of the Mountain Man.

I have studied the ways of the native peoples of this land, from many different tribes, and I prefer living the wild native way of life. I participate at many of the Native Pow-wows and tribal nation gatherings around the country.

Smok
11-05-2007, 04:56 AM
I would go back 10,000 years but with my Fly rod and fly tieing kit and a good knife and my selfbow oh and an axe

Beo
11-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Otay, I don't want you to die just walk around in a lot pain :D jk,
Smok, you really think you'd survive 10,000 years ago with just that fly rod, knife, and a stinking self bow an axe. Come on.
You'd be T-Rex dinner or Sabertooth bait by the end of the week, but ohh what a week that'd be.

LadyTrapper
11-05-2007, 05:15 PM
The era of the mountain man, mad trappers and outlaw wolves.

trax
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
The era of the mountain man, mad trappers and outlaw wolves.

that'd be now if you come hang around my place, 'specially the last two :)

Smok
11-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Who said anything about survival I'm going fishing . No Tr ex but there where Dari Wolfs as big as a smell horse and beaver as big as a bear there where people living here at that time just think about that one woo aw

Smok
11-05-2007, 11:48 PM
The self bow is far more forgiving when at comes to making your own arrows they don't have to be the same wight or even the same length but with the long bow you have to be all most perfect and I not that go at make arrows ... Just look at what most native American used and you will find most of them used the self bow

Sarge47
11-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I would go back 10,000 years but with my Fly rod and fly tieing kit and a good knife and my selfbow oh and an axe

What's your favorite "wet fly" to tie? I like the "Bug-eyed Wooly Bugger" Myself.
For dry fly I've been tying the "Chernobyl Ant"; it 's pretty easy.

Smok
11-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I don't remember the name but it's like a brown hackle . peacock body with partridge hackle great wet fly .Parachute Adams or a Quedgly cripple .I been tieing for 40 years and as you see I live in Redding Calif. just great fishing here

ISHKO
11-11-2007, 03:53 AM
Just sitting here reading these old posts.Nice dream,living in another time with the knowledge you have now.but,personally,I wouldn't want to live in any time period before the invention of scented bath soap,toothpaste,deodorant,and safety razors.

Smok
11-11-2007, 04:16 AM
why with what you know you could make a lot of money with scented baths , soap , toothpaste ;)

dilligaf2u2
11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Yesterday between 1pm and 3 pm. The grands were asleep and TDW was out shopping. Me and my ugly mutt took a nap.

That was a great time period! Short but great!

Don