PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Personality Traits

woodwose
10-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Hmmm,

I just noticed that there are no posts that go into personality traits of the survivor. Here are a few of them, I am sure there are more, feel free to add them.
Flexibility: The ability to adapt to the situation.

Commitment to survive: In extremely difficult conditions it takes a strong will and commitment to survive.

Playful Curiosity: Desiring to know how things work and showing a playful curiosity to help them adapt to changing circumstances.

Sense of Humor: The ability to laugh helping the survivor under the worst conditions.

A mixture of Opposites: Being not alway hot or cold. Ability to blend optimism with pessimism. Seeing faults in a plan but not paralyzed by negativity. Combining humor with seriousness, self-confidence with a critical eye.

Intuition: Not always relying on the rational mind and basing decisions on available information only. Having the ability to see around corners and go beyond the limits of time and space. Having a gut feeling about something.

Getting over it: Not wasting a lot of time worried about mistakes or losses. Moving on and dealing with the situation. Not dwelling in regrets and disappointments.

Inquisitive: Taking an active role in situations. Questioning everything.

FVR
10-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Noun
S: (n) personality (the complex of all the attributes--behavioral, temperamental, emotional and mental--that characterize a unique individual) "their different reactions reflected their very different personalities"; "it is his nature to help others"

I think personality is very important survivor trait.

Sarge47
10-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Both "Woody" & FVR are absolutely correct! Personality has a whole heck of a lot to do with it! There are those who would give up very easy and those who would fight right on down to their last breath to stay alive. Some of you might remember that quote I posted from J. Wayne Fears book: "The Complete Book Of Outdoor Survival". Remember the guy who got beaten up, robbed, & shot, threw over a cliff, shot again, and trekked miles to get out of the desert? Also the story of the "Experienced" outdoorsman who found himself lost and had a major panic attack? Anybody who says different about personality traits needs to re-think their position.

sam30248
10-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Noun
S: (n) personality (the complex of all the attributes--behavioral, temperamental, emotional and mental--that characterize a unique individual) "their different reactions reflected their very different personalities"; "it is his nature to help others"

I think personality is very important survivor trait.

Personality is very important but it is a survivers mind set to keep cool at any situitation.

FVR
11-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Personality is very important but it is a survivers mind set to keep cool at any situitation.

That's part of the personality.

Beo
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Woodwose has it right in my book, but under the worst circumstances (is that spelled right) I think keeping a cool head and driving on (having heart) come into play, if you lose the will to survive then you've written yourself off. Buck up and keep pushing on.

trax
11-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Independence, an unwillingness to immediately "fall into line" behind the usual societal "leadership", probably due to that nasty habit of thinking for one's self.

Personally, I'd lump a loathing of crowded places and the stench of all kinds of pollution in with that too.

Beo
11-01-2007, 11:05 AM
By the way grasshoppers are really pretty good eating, crickets too (poor jiminy)