PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is "NOT" Camping.......??????

Sourdough
09-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Companion question to What is CAMPING.......What is NOT Camping.....????? Your own home...Not camping, a plush hotel Not camping......OK. What about the hunting cabin.....? What if you rented a very small Forest service log cabin, eight mile hike to get to it, it had a outhouse, and a hand pump for water.....Camping or not camping......?

Bragg's $485,000.00 Forty foot long with five slide-outs motorhome....? Camping or not camping. Where do you draw the line and say, "Dude that ain't camping".....?

doug1980
09-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Companion question to What is CAMPING.......What is NOT Camping.....????? Your own home...Not camping, a plush hotel Not camping......OK. What about the hunting cabin.....? What if you rented a very small Forest service log cabin, eight mile hike to get to it, it had a outhouse, and a hand pump for water.....Camping or not camping......?

Bragg's $485,000.00 Forty foot long with five slide-outs motorhome....? Camping or not camping. Where do you draw the line and say, "Dude that ain't camping".....?

Um.....well......:innocent: lemme see. Man this is hard. Never really thought about it like this before. Well if I say a cabin is camping then all cabins would have to fit in that catagory. If I say it isn't camping but a camper/RV is then that won't make sense. I think i'm going to have to say that camping to me, is being outside my normal every day lifestyle, with a campfire, roasting hod dogs and making smores. All those together create an image of camping to me.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I am not camping at one place only and that is my home. Anywhere else, I am camping.

canid
09-08-2009, 04:16 PM
i'm not camping right now.

Rick
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
If I think it's camping, it's camping. I don't care what anyone else calls it. I'm not camping when I say I'm not camping. By the way, I'm not camping at the moment.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Any more permanent structure than a tent. If it involves metal or a masonry structure it is a permanent dwelling. If it involves wood that cannot be dismantled easily it is a permanent structure.Semi permanent at least. if it involves using any of todays modern conveniences such as electricity(other than a flashlight,lantern, or weather Radio), refrigeration,or a permanent gas cooking device. If it is on wheels,I do not consider that camping. This to me is RV-ing, or lodging, but not camping. Nothing wrong with it, just not camping to me.

crashdive123
09-08-2009, 05:24 PM
I live in a small 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom home. I have been accused of camping in the 1 bathroom part of the home.

Pict
09-08-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't know how other people define such things. I do know that I am miserably set up to camp out of my truck at a campground. I just went on an over night trip my my brother and all our kids (10, 8, 6, 4). We often camp in the bush with very minimal kit and are quite comfortable. I'm sure anyone of the hundred people who walked by our camp thought we were the most miserable of semi-homeless campers.

Here's the deal as far as I see it. If you know how to live in the bush you are the king of the jungle. As soon as you step out of the bush you resemble a homeless person. I don't fault anyone for the way they camp. At this camp ground there were rigs that had been parked for the summer and even had potted plants out front. This place had a pool and volleyball court and a snack bar, activities for the kids etc. I'm sure all that is fun if that's your thing, it just isn't my thing, not even a little.

When my brother rented that camp space they asked if we had four-wheel drive. They apologized that they only had the most remote spot available. That suited us just fine. The only reason we did it this way was because the ages of his boys.

I do things the way I do because I enjoy getting out there away from people and into the wilderness. Other people are happy right on the edge of it. I'm glad they are, I'd hate to run into them. Mac

FVR
09-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Not camping is when you have the opportunity, when you are by yourself, to use a toilet.

This does not count when the wife and kids are around, a toilet at the campgrounds just does not count.

If you are in a tent in the backyard, you wake up to the call of nature and you get out of the tent and pee..............your camping. If you walk upstairs and use the bathroom, you're just sleeping in the tent.

wildWoman
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Going with more gear can be carried by yourself in one backpack is not camping in my book. It's a pain.

Rick
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
What if you pee inside the tent?:eek:

hunter63
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I wasn't gonna comment, but then again.......

Actually I really don't GAS what anybody else thinks, as it's my stuff, what ever it might be, at the time, and I decide to call it camping, it's camping.
I gotta agree, that there are some RVs that don't even resemble camping, but hey, if you got the bucks, call it what ever you want. Then again I have seen a lot of "homes" that seem more like camping, not running water, out house etc.
soooo.

To much going on to worry about a category, who's grading and what happens if you break the "Rules".

Sorry, carry on...................

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Going with more gear can be carried by yourself in one backpack is not camping in my book. It's a pain.

I'll agree with this for sure. I am scaling back my gear. After walking down that mountain and back up. Noone said I couldn't drive to camp. Lesson learned, I wasn't camping I was working!

Same trip no one said I couldn't have a boat on my truck bumper. Augh! Ever tried to stop a boat from going down a mountain!

pocomoonskyeyes
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I wasn't gonna comment, but then again.......

Actually I really don't GAS what anybody else thinks, as it's my stuff, what ever it might be, at the time, and I decide to call it camping, it's camping.
I gotta agree, that there are some RVs that don't even resemble camping, but hey, if you got the bucks, call it what ever you want. Then again I have seen a lot of "homes" that seem more like camping, not running water, out house etc.
soooo.

To much going on to worry about a category, who's grading and what happens if you break the "Rules".

Sorry, carry on...................
I like your answer and truly wish I hadn't even replied now. I'm not any more to this thread or to what IS camping. I wasn't attacking or criticizing anyones opinion just stating what I believe. but it appears that panties could get in a wad ,and upset someone so I'll move on to another more helpful thread.
Sorry Hope. I liked the concept of your question,the challenges to what we thought was or wasn't camping. Good Idea anyway. I guess I'm just a little more primitive than others and not as primitive as some others... Oh well.

Sourdough
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=pocomoonskyeyes;153321] I wasn't attacking or criticizing anyones opinion just stating what I believe. but it appears that panties could get in a wad ,and upset someone so I'll move on to another more helpful thread.
QUOTE]

I think there is much value in knowing what others think, and what they consider camping or how they define anything that COULD effect their behavior if TSHTF. Some classes of people would have a short fuse if displaced from their home. I would like to know how many people in America have "NEVER" been camping, not once in their entire life.

FVR
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Now, now, peeing in the tent can be considered camping if you have a liter bottle or a portapotty.

rebel_chick
09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
camping IS- a sleeping bag, a cooler of beer, and a huntin' rifle

Camping is NOT- being able to SIT on a toilet, having unnatural shade, and anything that scares off the wildlife and shows everyone else that you are there- i.e. a motorhome seen from a mile a way.

Sourdough
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Now, now, peeing in the tent can be considered camping if you have a liter bottle or a portapotty.

SO...If I pee in a honey'bucket in the cabin, does that mean that I am camping.....?

crashdive123
09-08-2009, 09:32 PM
I would like to know how many people in America have "NEVER" been camping, not once in their entire life.

36,493 people. 1,241 of those are scheduled to go this weekend. But then again, that would depend on your definition of camping.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Well I can guarantee ya' I durn sure been campin" and more than once!

KenB
09-09-2009, 12:59 AM
My Dad was a big RV fan, and that is not camping. If you have a self aiming satellite, a 42" flat screen, and a gas fire place (as his last RV did)...you are not camping.

But camping isn't for everyone, I think that people should enjoy nature any way they can, even if that means day trips to and from the Lodge on Wheels.

finallyME
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Well, to follow my other post on what is camping, here is what is not...in my opinion.

If you have to build a shelter with natural material, and it takes more than a few minutes to set up...not camping. I call this survival.

If you HAVE to hunt/trap/shoot/gather your food from nature...not camping.

If you need a CDL to drive it, or a truck to pull it..not camping.

If you can lay flat in it, with a family of 7 (all teenagers), and it is bigger than a minivan or pickup truck...not camping.

Anything between those two extremes, I consider camping.:clap: