PDA

View Full Version : So, Does anyone grease their balls......?

hunter63
09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Had to check, didn't ya.

Been working with my melt pot, processing wheel weights, and, wow, are there ever a bunch of different kinds.
Need to do the "scratch test" to see how hard they are before melting.

Anyway, I though I would clean out the pot and melt up some pure (or reasonably pure lead) for some .490 round balls/Maxi's etc.

Going thru my muzzle-loader shooting bags/boxes I am finding a bunch of balls/Maxi's that a buddy and I poured back in the '80's....
Some of them were stored in a shooting box with a can of powder and they are oxidized.

A little rubbing w/ wd-40 cleaned them up, should be alright, but there are a bunch of balls, from guns that I had given away/sold, don't own that cal. any more, so I melted them down.

Now the question:
What do y'all coat the balls with, so as to prevent oxidation for long term storage? or just nothing?

Sourdough
09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Nope....Hire someone to do it....:innocent:

Ole WV Coot
09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Ever get a chance to get lead from the local telephone workers? I had over a ton I hauled home and ended up giving it away because I traded some for enough 50cal balls to last me probably forever since I don't shoot that much(hate to clean em). Wheel weights I tried yrs ago were too hard. Telephone sleeves & lead sheath is almost perfect, very little to skim off when melted.