the edge
03-25-2007, 04:24 PM
these books are both great
.the complete wilderness training book by hugh mcmanners
.the worst case scenario survival handbook
just figured it let you know

eagle78
04-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks! I was gong to ask that at some time. I am always looking for "new" stuff to teach my scouts. Unfortunately, scouting has become pretty watered down these days. I am all for "leave no trace" but it is to the extreme when my boys who are taking Wilderness Survival MB don't understand that in a true survival situation, they are to use anything and everything to survive.

I will look these books up.

BSM
04-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Something interesting to read is this free ebook. It's not about wilderness survival. It's a book called "In Time Of Emergency: A Citizen's Handbook On Nuclear Attack, Natural Disasters (1968)" written by the Department of Defense. It can be found for free download on www.gutenberg.net (expired copyright). It is not exactly helpful, or even accurate, but it helps to give a valuable insight into government thinking at the time. With the gift of hindsight, one can see how the Department of Defense went to some lengths to poo-poo their own warnings about Nuclear Attack and Nuclear fallout. Even to the extent of telling people a few hours of exposure to fallout a day won't be lethal. While technically correct, it doesn't bother to mention cancer, infertility, and other problems that can occur because of such exposure. In fact, the word cancer isn't used in reference to symptoms of radiation exposure once in the entire thing. They also say things like babies and young children shouldn't drink store bought milk for a few weeks until the government can confirm the milk isn't radiated. Misleading the individual to think such infrastructure to deliver milk would still exist. Why bother talking about the quality of store bought milk if they weren't sure the stores wouldn't still be open and it wouldn't be business as usual? Let it stand as a warning that the government was more worried about avoiding a panic than it was about searching for real solutions for these problems. What was true in 1968 can still be true today.
BSM

marberry
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
My fav is most definetially 'Camping & Wilderness Survival The Ultimate Outdoors Book' bu Paul tawrell , it has everything in it its just awsome you should def get one , i carry one in my pack when im hiking lol thats how usefull it is

RobertRogers
06-07-2007, 07:08 PM
All good books.

Tony uk
06-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I have both

But I prefer going on a course and experiencing the real thing

the edge
06-14-2007, 09:08 PM
the thing is at my local bookstore there really arent that many books on this sort of stuff but thanks for the info.

Tony uk
06-15-2007, 12:13 PM
You need to go to a shop that sells stuff to do with survival i order them i think, That or you can get them online

FVR
06-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Books, I have so many; USMC guide, US Army Jungle Survival, Mountain man skills, Bowyers bible I, II, & III, The wildfood trail guide, How to stay alive in the woods, also have the Army survival book somewhere, Back to basics, The outdoorsman workbook. I have a few more, just can't find them.

I have picked up a little something from all of them. I prefer the more hands on info., maybe when my son gets old enough we will go to one of them thar weekend retreats on eating vegatation.

mbarnatl
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
My fav is most definetially 'Camping & Wilderness Survival The Ultimate Outdoors Book' bu Paul tawrell , it has everything in it its just awsome you should def get one , i carry one in my pack when im hiking lol thats how usefull it is
I do the same. Best book I have... I just got the second edition last month.

wareagle69
07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
i recomend that you get several books on the same topic as some books will cover a perticular subject better than others for example, by far one of the best books on edible plants is by euell gibbons great info on collecting and preparing but no pics only hand drawn so for pics i use brad angier lots of color photos. in my library i have 12 books on wild plants and another 4 on mushrooms 4 on maps and compass 2 for knots and 10 on survival for me the best one is gino ferri, he really delves into the psychological side that i have not seen in most books.

now my next point. do not believe every thing that you read seek professional advice and practice frequently what you do know.

you do not have to be an expert to stay alive, i have learned a few basics, not an expert, but i wiil survive remember your brain is your best tool.

always be prepared

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 10:12 PM
I have to agree with wareagle69 - get all the books you can find on a subject. Practice what skills you can in your own backyard, and go to the experts in your area for better local training.