PDA

View Full Version : Cost of re-loading-wife's point of view.

hunter63
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
This came from another forum see if you think it's true or not;

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthr...423&page=2

Macybaby

No, you can not save money reloading!

First you start out getting a cheap 12g press off eBay. Then you need some new charge bars and powder bushings and other extra stuff. Then you decide you need a 20g one too. . Then since you want to shoot your reloads, you need more clays and something to toss them. (And your wife needs a couple nice double barrels so she can shoot with you)

Then you pick up a cheap rifle press, which leads to die sets and scales and calipers and trimmers and stuff I don't even know what it is. Then you need more room, so take over the area that was suppose to be your wife's big storage closet. Which needs shelves and a small gun cabinet and other stuff. And then you need a few more presses so you don't have to be changing die sets all the time . . .

And of course, you need to "test"; what you load, so you need a chronometer, and wind tester, and a thing to hold the gun in place while you shoot. Hopefully you already own a skid steer if you decide you now need a shooting berm in the back yard. (I love this part, "Oh Honey I need a skid steer")

But it still does not end! Once you have developed loads for the guns you have, you start looking for new guns in calibers you don't have die sets for, and soon you need a big safe, and then two years later you need ANOTHER big safe, and then you need a bigger room so you remodel the upstairs after son moves out for an even bigger reloading room (which you discover is not quite big enough once you move everything in). And finally, since you "reload"; and it's cheaper, you shoot about 3 times the ammo you would if you purchased it.

Disclaimer - I am glad my husband has found a hobby he likes, and I'm glad he keeps me well stocked with 9mm and .357 rounds. But like most hobbies, you don't really "save" money. We'd have a lot more money if we never got into this gun stuff to begin with LOL!!

Cathy ( who is really as big a gun nut as her husband)