PDA

View Full Version : Meaning of the saying "Lock and Load"

hunter63
09-05-2009, 08:17 PM
I have heard this saying, and wondered where it came from.
Appears that a lot of you have been around the range a bit, what do you think?

There seems to be a lot of discussion on a couple of the shooting forums and so far this seems to be the top runner,
http://www.xent.com/pipermail/fork/2002-June/012965.html

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorl.htm

Lock and Load

This imperative phrase originally referred to the operation of the M1
Garand Rifle, the standard U.S. Army rifle of WWII. Its meaning is more
general now, referring to preparation for any imminent event.

The original phrase was actually reversed, "load and lock." The phrase
refers to inserting a clip of ammunition into the rifle, "loading," and
"locking" the bolt forward thereby forcing a round into the chamber. The
phrase first appears in Gach's 1941-42 In the Army Now. It was
immortalized by John Wayne (who else?) in 1949's Sands of Iwo Jima,
where the Duke reversed the phrase to the current "lock and load."

The term "lock" in this phrase is a different use of the word than in
references to the firing mechanism of a weapon, as in "flintlock."

crashdive123
09-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Don't know the origins, but I always thought it meant magazine locked in place and a round loaded in the chamber.

SARKY
09-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I was taught that it was "lock" the bolt back and "load" your enblock (clip) as the Garand tends to want to eat your thumb (the bolt slams forward) when the clip is jammed into the reciever.

SARKY
09-05-2009, 09:08 PM
It also has a reference to the trap door rifle as the hammer had to be cocked or locked back before the trap door could be opened and loaded.

rebel
09-06-2009, 10:56 AM
For the m16 I was taught to lock the weapon and load it with a clip and charge the handle ( one in the chamber). Then it's just a matter of selecting the lock off to shoot.

glockcop
09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
(1911) = "lock" the slide to the rear, "load" fresh mag, then drop slide. This was the original manual of arms. Today's manual of arms states to insert loaded mag then rack the already forward resting slide. This is my understanding of the terminology. YMMV.

Old GI
09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
When I was qualifying with the M1, M14, M16 and 1911, the commands were, normally, "Lock one magazine (of x rounds), Load".

Ole WV Coot
09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
(1911) = "lock" the slide to the rear, "load" fresh mag, then drop slide. This was the original manual of arms. Today's manual of arms states to insert loaded mag then rack the already forward resting slide. This is my understanding of the terminology. YMMV.

You got it the same as I did. The only thing that's changed is the loaded mag and rack instead of the pistol loading itself on the release. Guess it changed because someone had their finger in the chamber.,

Rick
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
And all this time I thought it had to do with the brake on the wagon. Lock the brake before you load the wagon. Me and the horses have to get out more.