PDA

View Full Version : the long hunter

corndog-44
10-31-2007, 01:22 AM
He had to be master of many arts. He knew the sky and what a sunset foretold; he knew the wind and could tell it by smell, as to whether dry or moist, and could wet his finger with spittle and tell in which direction it was blowing. He could, in numerous ways, tell the seasons, predict the weather, and by the stars he could tell the time and direction. He knew the plants and where they grew, and by feeling the shaggy bark of a tree, determine the north and find his direction by night. He knew the medicinal properties of plants and how to treat his wounds and ailments there-from.

He knew his rifle, how to use it, repair it, and even in some instances how to make one. He knew the use of the hunting and skinning knife, the tomahawk, and other tools and weapons of the hunt and the kill. He was aware of, and knew the habits of animals and birds and was able to distinguish the true call of such from the imitation by an Indian. He received his training from masters, for all who lived on the frontiers had to be masters of natural history to survive. The very toys of his childhood were imitations of his future life.

Sound familiar?

HOP
10-31-2007, 05:43 AM
John Colter was a man like this, he went out with the Corps of Discovery and them stayed out when they returned to St. Louis. Many of the Mountain men went out to get rich but the mountains and the adventure kept them there at least for a while many did die young but what lifes they lead. I hear these mountains right here in West Virginia calling me all the time .

corndog-44
10-31-2007, 06:19 AM
HOP it's said that the first western mountain men were eastern long hunters. They went west traveling on buffalo traces, mostly. What ya think?

HOP
10-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Sounds god to me I get most of my info from reading books and have 4 or 5 on the mountain men and a few journals realy injoyed Russel Osborne journal and have read undaunted Courage about Lewis and Clark I also have Alexzander McKenzies journal but find it hard to read.
I do think many of the hunters in the east said it was geting to crowded and moved west.

corndog-44
10-31-2007, 06:28 AM
One of my ancestors was on that Lewis and Clark trip.

HOP
10-31-2007, 06:38 AM
I wish that those guys kept better journals even Lewis and Clark were not kep the journals up to date I guess they were busy surviving. I have a novel by Alan Wolf writen where everyone even the dog gives their two cents it is a good read intertaining. It is called New found land

Beo
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Amen brother, good thread and all so true, what a great life. Damn I wanna move out to north Montana!