PDA

View Full Version : Regional Survival Groups

pocomoonskyeyes
09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I thought about something and it was "Sparked" by the Jamboree. There is an advantage to getting to know the people in your area/region. Not just from a "SHTF" perspective either.
If you could get to know the folks in your area,perhaps you could form a group or club, and help instruct each other. Ok what am I talking about right? let me give you just a taste of what Ideas were exchanged at the Jamboree, and what each one "Brought to the table".
Rick Well Rick brought the Tomahawks and throwing knives and it was a real big hit(especially with equus). Rick also brought Dutch ovens and provided tasty treats out of them. I will buy me one I don't care how heavy they are.
Crash Brought Some coral to knap making all kinds of stuff, between him and PGV, everyone had a much better idea on how it was done.Even though Crash with his modesty said it wasn't all that good.Still better than I could do.
Oldsoldier If it was portable He probably had it and had it with him. He knows more about electronics than I do that's for sure.Gadgets! huh he probably had at least one of each and some were duplicated.
Hoosierarcher as his name implies is really into archery something I don't really know a lot about. But like PGV said he is knowledgeable about a LOT of stuff.
Now Dottie and I were basically sponges but I did know some plants and some about animals.So maybe I made a small contribution.

Now I'm not trying to go into detail about everything that was discussed and shown it would take 4 days for me to do it and that would still be a short version. I just want to give some examples.
There is no reason that it can't be done in just about every state and even over state lines with others that are nearby. EVERYONE has skill sets
that could benefit others that are nearby.It just takes communication and people getting together. It doesn't have to be fancy or anything or a "special" campground renowned for this or that. You just need 3 things.
1) Communication - Talk to others that are near you.
2)Campsite - Just a place to get together and camp that allows fires
3)Time - time to prepare, time to get together,time to enjoy

So here's the recipe, now get cookin'!!!

oldsoldier
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Poco you and Dottie were not "sponges" at all. your plant knowledge was appreciated. I hadn't known about jewelweed until you told us about it. Otherwise your and Dotties skills are no less extent than anyone elses. You just happened not to have need for many of them at this jamboree. BUT in a bad situation not nessecarilly a SHTF scenerio. I would be glad to have you to "watch my back" as for your main point I agree if more like minded people got together more all of us would be a lot better of and gain a lot more expertise.

crashdive123
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
That's what is really great about get togethers like that. We all bring different skill sets to the table and can all learn from each other.

Ken
09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
That's what is really great about get togethers like that. We all bring different skill sets to the table and can all learn from each other.

I don't know about that. 2dumb could always stumble in, you know. :innocent:

crashdive123
09-01-2009, 09:59 PM

I've got a suspicion that he's smarter than he lets on. Nah! What was I thinking?

oldsoldier
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM

Sure he could but then maybe he could give a class on humility

Ken
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM

Not if Mountain Mama gets her hands on him first......... :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
09-01-2009, 10:03 PM

Pffft...I can't even spell it!:blushing:

Ken
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Pffft...I can't even spell it!:blushing:

http://offkeyclothing.com/images/dont%20humble.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM

That's what I mean Crash, what good is a teacher without students? The different skill sets would effectively make each one a "teacher",in a revolving kind of scheme. Take fire for example. I had bamboo growing in my backyard my whole life growing up. Until I saw you make fire with bamboo I never even knew it was possible!! OK so I knew a few of the plants up there. So we both had an opportunity to learn something. Although I can't take credit for showing you the plants. We still had that opportunity.

2dumb2kwit
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
That's what I mean Crash, what good is a teacher without students? The different skill sets would effectively make each one a "teacher",in a revolving kind of scheme. Take fire for example. I had bamboo growing in my backyard my whole life growing up. Until I saw you make fire with bamboo I never even knew it was possible!! OK so I knew a few of the plants up there. So we both had an opportunity to learn something. Although I can't take credit for showing you the plants. We still had that opportunity.

So, there's a chance I could set Ken, on fire???:innocent:

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Crash does have students...Nobody knew I was listening to WVCoot about draw filing either....works great! New knife, sorry no instructional but it looks great! Thanks Coot!

Ken
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
So, there's a chance I could set Ken, on fire???:innocent:

Sure. Just use this novelty lighter.

http://media.fukung.net/images/4397/Gun%20Backfire.gif (http://fukung.net/random)

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Ya'll would have a go...for sure if you came to SC. Lowcountry. Do you have hipwaders?

2dumb2kwit
09-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Do you have hipwaders?

Yeah....but do you mean for the swamp, or for Kens BS???:innocent:

Ken
09-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah....but do you mean for the swamp, or for Kens BS???:innocent:

Buzz off, 2dumb!

http://standupforamerica.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/man-swatting-fly.jpg

pocomoonskyeyes
09-01-2009, 10:58 PM
C'mon guys I was being serious now!!

Ken
09-01-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm sorry, Poco. I'll stop now. :blushing:

mccaw69
09-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Poco,where was this jamboree located at that u went to?Kentucky?

Sarge47
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Poco,where was this jamboree located at that u went to?Kentucky?
It was in Indiana. Check out this thread:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6350&highlight=Indiana+Survival+Jamboree

:cool2:

Rick
09-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Personally, I think that's exactly what would happen if TSHTF. Forming community and leveraging off each other's expertise would be the better choice as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing that could occur, using your suggestion, is the development of cells. Small groups of like minded folks spread out over a large geographic area that could help each other should something bad happen. (not sure I like the conotation of the word "cells" but, you know what I mean.).

justinjedlawton
09-02-2009, 06:28 AM
it has already been said But dm man AWSOME idea
now does any by chance live in central america? Since i live in belize {for now} i feel kinda alone:sad:

Rick
09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
I live in Indiana. That's sort of central America....oh, wait, you meant....never mind.

Pal334
09-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Unless I missed it. I think another advantage to "regionalizing" is that you can specialize in what maybe needed for your specific area. Cold related skills, heat, hurricane , tornado, etc. Not to say other skills aren't needed or desirable, just a way to concentrate on your more potentially immediate needs.

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 06:53 AM
it has already been said But dm man AWSOME idea
now does any by chance live in central america? Since i live in belize {for now} i feel kinda alone:sad:

As of July of 2008 Belize had a population of over 300,000 people. Central America had a population of over 40,000,000. No reason to feel alone - just open your door.

Seriously though, the exchanging of ideas, skills, resources can start at the local level. While there are a lot of like minded folks on this forum, it may be you that is the catalyst to get people planning and preparing in your village.

justinjedlawton
09-02-2009, 07:01 AM
yea like if ther were pepole nera BELIZE, central america i would really like to learn about the pickary ,warri {thes are kinda like wild hogs } traps {the ones that swing into you if you anit carfull} also knowing some mosquito replers {not the chemical one thes dm lauge at pure deet on joke there horrible were i am at} natural somthing that quechis or mopans have used for along time {the ones that might work for were i am} the citranela grass is hard to get here havnt been able to personaly identify it either just some thing i had on my mind for here in bze

justinjedlawton
09-02-2009, 07:17 AM
As of July of 2008 Belize had a population of over 300,000 people. Central America had a population of over 40,000,000. No reason to feel alone - just open your door.

Seriously though, the exchanging of ideas, skills, resources can start at the local level. While there are a lot of like minded folks on this forum, it may be you that is the catalyst to get people planning and preparing in your village.

It would awsome if pepole around here {who have the knolage} to freely share it but the problem i have had and i have lived here round 7 yrs is that it is like living among leeches
every time you want somting it is going to coast regardles wat it is u lokking for and my expeiriance with the nonlocals that liv here like me dont like to talk that much not to me any ways i think its cues there white and from the us and so am i you would think that this would pull us to gether as a minority group but unlike the states i have found thet this is what keeps most white skind pepole apart but not all whit skinned pepole for ex we hove 2nd german and 3rd German genration mennonites here and nobody really likes them but they get mingle better that i can with the other americans or ex americans.

justinjedlawton
09-02-2009, 07:24 AM
But the is hope for me yet i am planig to go back home after i aquier my dual nationalty
wich leads me to asking is anyone from the north alabama or tristate area or romotly aorund that area

justinjedlawton
09-02-2009, 07:25 AM
i am not shure exactly when but i am dyinto caom back home and relaern english i cant even speel any more now i am afften to ask my wife hoe to spel in english and shes belizean and had to learn it in scholl but mostly speaks "Kriol"

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Unless I missed it. I think another advantage to "regionalizing" is that you can specialize in what maybe needed for your specific area. Cold related skills, heat, hurricane , tornado, etc. Not to say other skills aren't needed or desirable, just a way to concentrate on your more potentially immediate needs.

I like that idea Pal. You are right it would help us be more "Neighborly" even,to help those who could learn a lot from each other. For example our 2 major worries here are Tornadoes and Ice storms,so we could concentrate on those. Whereas in California they could concentrate on Earthquakes, Mudslides, and Wildfires when it comes to emergency preparedness. That is a very good point, Thanks.

Personally, I think that's exactly what would happen if TSHTF. Forming community and leveraging off each other's expertise would be the better choice as far as I'm concerned.

The other thing that could occur, using your suggestion, is the development of cells. Small groups of like minded folks spread out over a large geographic area that could help each other should something bad happen. (not sure I like the conotation of the word "cells" but, you know what I mean.).

Yeah Rick I don't much care for the connotations of "cells" either but get your point. I know there are a LOT of folks from Florida and Georgia. These folks would have a really good chance of having Major turnouts Even on a couple of weeks notice about an Event happening.
The only problem I see right now is how do we all find each other? I mean other than starting 50 "social Groups"? Should we do this "regionally" say for example Southeastern US, Northeastern US, Central US, Northwestern US, etc. etc. or would it be best to do it by State? I just have the idea, not the solution.

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 11:03 AM
It's really as simple as what Hoosierarcher did. He decided to have a get together and posted about it. As people expressed an interest, they joined in on the conversation.

Heck, I even set one up in California - Tonester just has to pick the date and time.

We've had two in Florida. Small turnouts, but enjoyable. As more people do them - talk about the experience - post pictures - more may become interested. Here's a thought for those inclined - since you're going camping anyway - why not invite others (again, if you're so inclined).

mountain mama
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Maybe what Poco is suggesting is that we all determine who is in what area, so that if STHF we would know who to connect with....

For example, my daughter's competitive climbing is broken into regions:
PACIFIC NORTHWEST = Oregon & Washington
BIG SKY = Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, & Utah
N. CALIFORNIA = North California & North Nevada
SOUTHWEST = South California, South Nevada, & Arizona
COLORADO/NEW MEXICO = self explanatory
TEXAS/LOUISIANA = self explanatory
HEARTLAND = North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Missouri
MIDWEST = Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois & Wisconsin
OHIO RIVER VALLEY = Michigan, Indiana, Ohio & Kentucky
SOUTHEAST = Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia & South Carolina
FLORIDA = self explanatory
MID-ATLANTIC = North Carolina, Virginia & West Virginia
CAPITAL = Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware & Maryland
NEW ENGLAND NORTH = Maine, North New York, Vermont & New Hampshire
NEW ENGLAND SOUTH = South New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut
ALASKA
HAWAII

The regions are then broke into larger Divisions:
DIVISION 1 = PACIFIC NORTHWEST, BIG SKY, NORTH CALIFORNIA
DIVISION 2 = SOUTHWEST, TEXAS/LOUISIANA, COLORADO/NEW MEXICO
DIVISION 3 = HEARTLAND, MIDWEST, OHIO RIVER VALLEY
DIVISION 4 = FLORIDA, SOUTHEAST, MID-ATLANTIC
DIVISION 5 (and no, they did not save the best for last) = NEW ENGLAND NORTH, NEW ENGLAND SOUTH, CAPITAL

So, I am in the BIG SKY REGION, DIVISION 1. Where are y'all located?

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes Something like that!! Is there anyway (Crash, Rick, Sarge, or Chris) we could set up something like a "Social Group" but use MM's example of "Divisions" with sub groups within those Divisions, could be broken into "Regions"? That way people would have a better idea of who was where and where would be a better "centralized" meeting site?

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Sure - not sure about the sub "social groups" inside them, but Having the 5 divivions that Mountain Momma listed (or even more of a breakdown if you'd like) as social groups is easy enough. You can set it up, or let me know what you want and I'll do it.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not really sure Crash. I would maybe like to get some input from some others before deciding on anything. I kinda' figure once it's done it's done and won't allow for any changes. See what happens from Just one little Jamboree? LOL!! Y'all lit a fire under and inside me. Just hope it doesn't turn into an inferno, and consume me.

oldsoldier
09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
for what it's worth poco's Idea sounds good to me I'm in and will help however I can.

gryffynklm
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Some brilliant suggestions. I like the idea of a skill swap rendezvous In my area.

If timing was better I would have joined you folks in Indiana.

I know of several possible locations around Elkins area Randolph county WV. In Monongahela National Forest. There are sites ranging from hike in primitive to a parking pad for a road condo. I'll start poking around this fall when I return from Illinois. Is this something others might be interested in?

Monongahela National Forest
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/rec/rog_campgrounds/campground_alpha.htm

Ken
09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
So, I am in the BIG SKY REGION, DIVISION 1. Where are y'all located?

In my office. Sitting at my desk. :)

Rick
09-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Have you ever noticed...

How a lawyer can take a simple question and twist it until the answer resembles nothing at all the question asked?

Have you ever noticed...

Winnie
09-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh lordy! I'm in the a##hole of nowhere division, on my own(sometimes). Sarge or Oldsoldier will have to come pick me up in one of those helichopter thingies! until then, I'll wish you all well.

Ken
09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Have you ever noticed...

How a lawyer can take a simple question and twist it until the answer resembles nothing at all the question asked?

Have you ever noticed...

Actually, no. How does that work?

Rick
09-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Not very ****** well, it seems.

Ken
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh lordy! I'm in the a##hole of nowhere division, on my own(sometimes). Sarge or Oldsoldier will have to come pick me up in one of those helichopter thingies! until then, I'll wish you all well.

I can see it now. Sarge in a helicopter..........

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/3123186097_236deaf8c2.jpg?v=0

Ken
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Not very ****** well, it seems.

Chris can still ban you, can't he? :innocent:

Rick
09-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Okay. I'm going to go over this ONE MORE TIME. I AM Chris. I AM Father. I AM the Beginning and the end. Alpha and Beta. And whatever the rest of it was. Okay? The only thing "BAN" around me is deoderant.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I've got a suspicion that he's smarter than he lets on. Nah! What was I thinking?

for some reason Barny Phife springs to mind. (gomer pile was a higher educate)!!! Give him one bullet and tell him to keep it in his shirt pocket

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Poco - Those interested might just take the initiative and start their own social group for a region that they are in, or would be willing to travel to. What has been left out so far are our friends in Canada. So - If somebody in California was so inclined the could start a West Coast group. Somebody from New Brunswick could start an Atlantic Provinces group, etc. etc. My thinking is that if people are interested they will get involved. The success of a couple of groups might inspire others to be formed. Or not ---- just a thought.

Ken
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
The only thing "BAN" around me is deoderant.

Oh, GOOD! That means you don't have a BAN BUTTON anymore, huh? :sneaky2:

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, GOOD! That means you don't have a BAN BUTTON anymore, huh? :sneaky2:

He loaned it to me with some very explicit instructions.

Ken
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
He loaned it to me with some very explicit instructions.

Sooo, you can BAN HIM now, right? :innocent:

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/images/PorscheKeyFob/PorscheKeyFob1.jpg

Sarge47
09-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I can see it now. Sarge in a helicopter..........

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/3123186097_236deaf8c2.jpg?v=0Now that is cool! Where do you come up with this stuff! Hang on Winnie, I'm on my way, just remember when I pick you up you have to stay behind the yellow line!:innocent:

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I don't know.....the instructions were pretty specific.....

?
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1342/dsc01906xyv.jpg

Sarge47
09-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Isn't this something that I was advocating all along? BTW, any of you ever heard of C.E.R.T.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Emergency_Response_Team

Maybe an idea there somewhere! BTW, I guess I'm in the Mid-West area. :online2long:

Ken
09-02-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know.....the instructions were pretty specific.....

?
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1342/dsc01906xyv.jpg

Harley? :innocent:

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 06:25 PM
BTW, any of you ever heard of C.E.R.T.? Yep. Just completed CERT training. We have a drill scheduled for the 12th.

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 06:27 PM

While a Harley does bring back fond memories. I'll stick with the Maybach.

http://www.codenuit.com/image/The+8+Million+dollar+Maybach_136.jpg

Ken
09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I've got my American Express Card. What's the dealer's phone number?

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
I give up....:offtopic:

Pal334
09-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Maybe a bit of clarificationis needed?Think New Jersey politician? just saying

Rick
09-02-2009, 09:15 PM
You guys are upsetting Poco so get back on topic. You know, Poco with the tomahawk? Just sayin'....

oldsoldier
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
You guys are upsetting Poco so get back on topic. You know, Poco with the tomahawk? Just sayin'....

It ain't Poco ya gotta worry about remember. It's Equiss.

Rick
09-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah. Him. The boss. Either one.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh don't worry Rick It's just another thread.(As he sharpens the 'hawk, thinking now what can I tell Dottie to get her after them......)

Rick
09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Just tell her it's Ken. You know, the guy that promised her 75 hawks?! That should do it.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
NOW THAT just might work.... What did Ken call her Rick?

Rick
09-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Poco - It was too horrible to repeat. I swear, she ought to do something to that guy. Really.

mountain mama
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM
And here I thought it was 2d that can't stay out of trouble!

Winnie
09-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Now that is cool! Where do you come up with this stuff! Hang on Winnie, I'm on my way, just remember when I pick you up you have to stay behind the yellow line!:innocent:

But I wanted to ride up front!

Back on topic, I think Poco had a very good idea. Shame I can't join in. Preparedness doesn't seem to be in the UK psyche, hence the reason I have such trouble finding stuff over here!

2dumb2kwit
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
But I wanted to ride up front!

Back on topic, I think Poco had a very good idea. Shame I can't join in. Preparedness doesn't seem to be in the UK psyche, hence the reason I have such trouble finding stuff over here!

Speaking of which,(not witch) I thought about you the other day. I was walking through wal-mart and saw 1 quart canning jars. 12 in a case, for $9.:innocent:

pocomoonskyeyes
09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
They're even cheaper here @$8+

nell67
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I still think thats too high,I snag all I can from freecycle. org or cheapcycle,free or cheap !

2dumb2kwit
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I still think thats too high,I snag all I can from freecycle. org or cheapcycle,free or cheap !

Yeah, but I'm just a dumb ol' guy. I'm not as smart as you. LOL

I was just thinking that WW had paid crazy money for them, over there.

nell67
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but I'm just a dumb ol' guy. I'm not as smart as you. LOL

I was just thinking that WW had paid crazy money for them, over there.
Maybe they have something like that over there by now??? would be good for her to check out!

yep,they sure do:uk.freecycle.org (http://www.green-england.co.uk/i/Freecycle),now all she needs is to find a chapter close to her area!

Winnie
09-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Speaking of which,(not witch) I thought about you the other day. I was walking through wal-mart and saw 1 quart canning jars. 12 in a case, for $9.:innocent:

They're even cheaper here @$8+

Yeah thanks guys.... no really, thanks......... rub salt in the wound why don't ya!LOL

crashdive123
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah thanks guys.... no really, thanks......... rub salt in the wound why don't ya!LOL

Look at Nell's post #73 - you might be able to find some real savings there.

wildWoman
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Poco - Those interested might just take the initiative and start their own social group for a region that they are in, or would be willing to travel to.

I'll start an anti-social group with crusty ol' Hope then since there's nobody else "close" by (now that the reality show guy has left Tincup Lake). This one will be defined by non-meetings and curt remarks on the weather, status of the wood pile and exotic food fantasies.
Membership restricted to Alaskan and Yukon homesteaders and bushrats. Crustiness is a must.

crashdive123
09-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Careful now, you might attract a crowd of looky loos.

wildWoman
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Such is the population of the north!

pocomoonskyeyes
09-03-2009, 02:58 PM
And here I thought it was 2d that can't stay out of trouble!

They stay in trouble equally that's why they are brothers from different Mothers!!!( And why they bicker like Brothers- I swear they remind me of my 2 & 4 year old boys!!!)

crashdive123
09-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Cool. When they get out of hand we can just put them down for their nap.

Winnie
09-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe they have something like that over there by now??? would be good for her to check out!

yep,they sure do:uk.freecycle.org (http://www.green-england.co.uk/i/Freecycle),now all she needs is to find a chapter close to her area!

I'm a member of our local Frecycle group, and have got a few bits, but not preserving jars. I do keep looking tho!

mountain mama
09-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I'd offer a spanking, but I'm afraid one of them might enjoy it too much.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-03-2009, 03:09 PM
hmmm.... Oh never mind I can ask equus for one of those!!! Never mind!:sneaky2::innocent:

Rick
09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Na na na na na na na na na I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you I can't hear you

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/sb10063866f-005.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=9746BFA1BA0ACA456FDA377955196EB2A2E54E026F1F5487

oldsoldier
09-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd offer a spanking, but I'm afraid one of them might enjoy it too much.

MM are you offering? where does the line start??:innocent:

Rick
09-03-2009, 07:00 PM
See? That right there is the attitude I'm talking about. For cryin' out loud, OS, oooh, look over there (pointing).

The line starts right here behind me.

wareagle69
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
well. i tried to do a wolfpack gathering way back in the day, summer of 08 or was it fall, anywho with the gas prices so high i had no takers, have had an open invite to anyone since, either at algonquin park or the uhh other place, drawing a balnk right now, how emabarrising......oh yeah kilarney park, anyone anytime we can meet and practice some skills

pocomoonskyeyes
09-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Hey WE Why Don't you do what SARKY has done name a few of your surrounding states and see who pops in? His is the Thread entitled CAL.Ore.Wash.

wareagle69
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
i've done that already, basically looking at ontario, quebec, northen ontario(haha) and ohio,INDIANA, and new york,pennsylvania,and michgan, and i have said that i can most likely get allan bow beauchamp to come with also

pocomoonskyeyes
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Cool! Sorry I hadn't seen it. so I was just sayin'...

Rick
09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I have to say, I'm impressed that some of you are stepping to the plate and trying to put together a meet/jamboree. Hat's off to Sarky, Mountain Momma and WE for stepping out there and trying to get it started.

Come on folks, help them out. Let's walk the talk so to speak and see what you can put together.

Themeek
01-15-2010, 06:12 PM
I know I'm new around here, and I probably don't have much to share that the rest of you don't already know, but I'm really keen on learning what ever I can.
A jamboree sounds like a great idea to me.
I'm currently in N.W. NM.

Mountaintrekker
01-17-2010, 06:56 AM
I'm all for the 2010 Alaskan, crusty, non-invitational jamboree!!

klkak
01-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm all for the 2010 Alaskan, crusty, non-invitational jamboree!!

I just mentioned that to sjj. I suggested we use Sourdoughs place if he was so inclined to offer it.. I think it would be allot of fun.

Sourdough
01-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I just mentioned that to sjj. I suggested we use Sourdoughs place if he was so inclined to offer it.. I think it would be allot of fun.

Works for me.......I am roughly mid-way between Homer, AK. and Eagle River, AK. area.

I would also invite any members from outside Alaska also.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Works for me.......I am roughly mid-way between Homer, AK. and Eagle River, AK. area.

I would also invite any members from outside Alaska also.

What about the "facilities"?

klkak
01-17-2010, 05:57 PM

If someone has a problem crapping in a hole in the ground then they shouldn't be in the woods.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 06:08 PM
If someone has a problem crapping in a hole in the ground then they shouldn't be in the woods.

Oh OK.
Glad I cleared that up ahead of time before I bought my airline ticket.

crashdive123
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Some day I'll be able to get away and spend some time with you Alaska folks.

Sourdough
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM

World Class hotel 44 miles away, Bed and breakfast 14 miles away. Water in the creek, Delux outhouse, about as good as it gets. Millions of acres of Chugach National Forest to live in all summer.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Some day I'll be able to get away and spend some time with you Alaska folks.

Very smooth.

crashdive123
01-17-2010, 06:29 PM
??? I guess something went over my head.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 06:32 PM
World Class hotel 44 miles away, Bed and breakfast 14 miles away. Water in the creek, Delux outhouse, about as good as it gets. Millions of acres of Chugach National Forest to live in all summer.

Now why didn't you say that in the first place?!
I can dig a Delux outhouse.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 06:37 PM
??? I guess something went over my head.

"Some day I'll be able to get away and spend some time with you Alaska folks..."(as soon as you get indoor plumbing)

crashdive123
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Actually - I was thinking when I was no longer the owner of a small business and could take more than a long weekend away from my business. The last vacation I have been on other than long weekends was in 2001.

BENESSE
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Actually - I was thinking when I was no longer the owner of a small business and could take more than a long weekend away from my business. The last vacation I have been on other than long weekends was in 2001.

Judging from you photos you already live in paradise.
You're just not "officially" on vacation that's all.

Batch
01-17-2010, 09:52 PM

In Alaska? In the winter could you dig a hole?

And I have serious doubts that a Florida Cracker's astrix wouldn't just fall off at the thought of baring bum in that kinda weather! :innocent:

If I have to walk up an incline of more than 15 degrees in temperature below 72 degrees I get pulmonary edema and die...:tongue_smilie:

klkak
01-18-2010, 12:04 AM
In Alaska? In the winter could you dig a hole?

Sourdough already has a hole dug. It's under his "Delux Outhouse" with a view.

BENESSE
01-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Sourdough already has a hole dug. It's under his "Delux Outhouse" with a view.

Who could turn that down?!
What's the view, btw?

Mountaintrekker
01-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Well fellow Alaskan's... ? I'm all for it, let me know when and where and I'll make the time. Shall we bring our squaws? :ohmy:

I'm serious btw! Any sort of mutual aid group or even just some good folks to share a fire with sounds like a good time to me.

Sourdough
01-18-2010, 07:52 AM
Who could turn that down?!
What's the view, btw?

View to the east-south-east

Rick
01-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, right. I'll bet the January view is more like....

http://www.visitsolduc.com/media/images/solduc/ePostcards/mountain_snow7.jpg

Sourdough
01-18-2010, 09:01 AM
P.S. - What are you guys doing up this late - or early?

Some years ago I quit sleeping in the normal understanding of 7 hour or 8 hours of contiguous sleep. I now nap many times per 24 hour period, rarely more than two hours.

christagious
02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Ohio here, Stark County

trax
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Now why didn't you say that in the first place?!
I can dig a Delux outhouse.

That's quite a boast to make, and a lot of digging.

Personally, as far as get togethers are concerned, I owe WarEagle a visit. It was right up to the last minute trying to get my butt there, but a bunch of interference prevented it. We had a couple of other Manitobans on here, but they've kind of vanished over time. Flanders is in Saskabush, so that's probably closest to me.