PDA

View Full Version : Very unofficial .40 S&W FMJ ammo test

kx250kev
09-01-2009, 12:22 AM
My $0.02 cents....I performed some VERY unofficial .40 S&W ammo tests on Sunday. FMJ rounds from Fiocchi, Magtech, Winnchester, Federal(reddish maroon and silver box). Bench rest group testing from approximately 140 feet with my Cx4 Storm, a red dot and a bench rest. 14 rounds shot from each brand.

Most accurate: Fiocchi was good followed closely by Magtech. The cheap Walmart Winnchester and Federal FMJ basically performed the same and the grouping was pretty poor.

Best penetration: One round from each manufacturer shot from 70 feet, Fiocchi penetrated 2 and 3/4 2x8 boards, followed by the Federal (2 and a 1/2), followed by Magtech (2 and a 1/4) and Winnchester (2 and a dent).

One other note: The Fiocchi and Federal bullets were fully encapsulated in brass, so less exposure to lead dust when shooting these. The other two had exposed lead on the back of the bullet.

My Conclusion: For cheap plinking, the $13 Federal ammo seems like a good choice, but I've noticed some strange things with it. My Taurus 24/7 pistol experienced several jams the last time I used this stuff, and my Cx4 also had some strangly weak brass ejections. I think I'm going to purchase more Fiocchi ammo.

Just thought you guys might be interested. :)

Sourdough
09-01-2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks, How do you like the storm........? I have never owned one, but I sure like them.

kx250kev
09-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Love them. In fact, the .40 and 9mm CX4 Storm's have become my favorite weapons, but if I had to pick just one....I think it might be the 9mm Storm. The .40 packs more punch, but the 9 is more accurate at 100 yards and I have 18 and 20 round clips, plus the ammo is cheaper.

I love mating the storm PX4 pistol in .40 to the CX4. The PX4 is very accurate gun for me. I also just got a 92FS to mate to the 9mm CX4 Storm. I love these Beretta 1,2 punch combo's because the magazines can be shared between the two if you have the correct magazine insert on the CX4.

Rick
09-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm really interested in your write up on the Storm. Personally, I think it's one butt ugly piece of hardware but even ugly children need love. I looked long and hard at it not too long ago. I would like a carbine/rifle in .45 and the Storm is about the only one currently being produced. Everything else is used and darn new as expensive. Now you have me curious about them again.

glockcop
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Our neighboring county (Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office) which is I believe is the 15th largest Sheriff's Office in the nation (almost 1700 sworn officers) issues the Beretta Storm in 9mm. They used the 92fs before that for 20 plus years and are very pleased with their newest duty weapon just as they were pleased with their origonal 92's. I have trained some of their Deputies and the weapons perform with vigor. These weapons are butt ugly IMO but the flip side is that they are very accurate and reliable. With a supported rest one can expect about 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups with loads they like. The JPSO happens to issue 147 gr. Win SXT and like I already said these guns run great with that particular sub sonic load. Other sub sonic loads may be a different story especially in light weight polymer framed weapons because they are notorious for making otherwise reliably pistols malfunction. I personally stay with 124 to 127 gr in 9mm for that specific reason. Most all of my 9mm weapons perforn great with that range of bullet weights. I should point out that their 147 Win sxt's also run great in their SWAT MP5's. My department will stay with AR-15's and Glock 40's because these are what we have found works for us. In summary, I would buy a Beretta Storm in a second. They are really good weapons.

Sourdough
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Odd that Glock does not make a Storm/AUG type rifle.......

canid
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
when did you find 40S&W for $14?

crashdive123
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
when did you find 40S&W for $14?

Today. $13.87 a box.

kx250kev
09-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Yep, I'd love to have an MP5, but that will just never happen. The storm is the "poor man's" MP5 imho, and I'm very pleased with it. Terrible trigger pull/feel, but it always goes bang. Regarding ugly...I guess I'm the odd ball that thinks they look cool. Now if you want an example of ugly, I give you the Hi-Point 9mm carbine. http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/carbines/9mm_carbine/9mm_carbine.html

kx250kev
09-05-2009, 02:04 AM
I would like a carbine/rifle in .45

Rick, I'm curious why in .45. Pairing it up with a 1911?

Rick
09-05-2009, 02:10 AM
I have the highpoint and, yes, it's ugly. But it's another one that goes bang every time. The ugly sort of grows on you. It looks better and better every time I hold it. :blush:

On the .45, I have an XD-45 and would like to pair up a rifle with it. Everyone knows the glory of the .45 so I won't dwell on that.

kx250kev
09-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Update: All ammo was 180 gr except the Fiocchi which was 165 gr.

Correction: Fiocchi had exposed lead on the flat tip, so it wasn't totally encapsulated in brass.