PDA

View Full Version : Lookin at a new survival blade??

BigB
08-31-2009, 10:58 PM
I was just messin on the net and found something I found kinda interesting. A lot of guys come on here and inquire about a survival blade, cant blame em, lots of people here know their stuff. I have watched a lot of vids at knifetests.com (please no debates on what this guy does). I have also owned a few knives that hes tested, some did well, some not so well. I recently watched his SOG primitive jungle vid and by his testing the knife did not do well. I then went on the Cabelas web site, found the same knife, and looked at the reviews. It got 4.8 stars out of 5 from close to 50 reviews. Just something to think about when checkin out new knives, are you a KNIFE guy, or an everyday outdoorsmen like most that visit cabelas.
I just found it interesting to see two totally different views on the same product. A lot of people get pissed when they see a guy break the knife they love and paid a lot for in seconds with a hammer, then there are those that know nothing about a site like that, buy the knife, use it for what it is and love it!

crashdive123
08-31-2009, 11:02 PM
Keep in mind that most people that buy a knife and then write up a review use their knife as intended, while at knifetest they abuse the heck out of them to see where they will fail.

glockcop
09-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind that most people that buy a knife and then write up a review use their knife as intended, while at knifetest they abuse the heck out of them to see where they will fail.

Agreed. IMO most knife tests are REDICULOUS. Who it the hell is gonna beat on a knife with a sledge hammer or try to cut a friggin brick in half with one. A BRICK!! That is just plain stupid and has NO merit IMO of real world applications of a knife. Once you have done everything reasonable you can to a knife and it didn't fail, then taking a sledge hammer to it proves nothing. Name one thing you use in your daily life that you cannot damage or destroy with a sledge hammer. That list will be very short indeed. Therefore, these abusive tests prove "0". IMO those guys are idiots with way too much time and money on their hands. They offer useless information on how to break a knife. Hell, you can break anything if you really put your mind to it but these jack holes break a knife and then give it a bad review because it failed due to abuse beyond it's design parameters. Dumb A$$es I tell Ya. Any information submitted by them on how to break a knife should be filed away right next to "How to cut your b@lls off with a rock", A.K.A. information you will NEVER need. My rant is now over and I have taken my blood pressure medicine. Ya'll be safe.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I could understand maybe putting a Knife through a "little extra" than normal.But taking it to the point of failure is overboard! They could just send me the knife and say it did not meet their expectations. Just saying....

glockcop
09-25-2009, 04:46 PM
I could understand maybe putting a Knife through a "little extra" than normal.But taking it to the point of failure is overboard! They could just send me the knife and say it did not meet their expectations. Just saying....

Yep. Totally agreed.

SARKY
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I agree with the above, but on the flip side most of the people who bought that knife and wrote a review probablt don't use it as extensively as someone who is depending their life on it.

Rick
09-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I suppose it serves some purpose. One would hope the manufacturers are doing similar studies on their knives but if they aren't it would be nice to know that product X failed miserably, long before product Y. It could serve as helpful if they were similarly priced or product X was more expensive. While I would never abuse a knife they way they do it is just one more piece of knowledge in making a selection. Not really that much different than the Highway Safety folks crashing cars and then telling us which one protected the occupants the best.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
09-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Who is the guy destroying perfectly good knives? I wanna invite 'em over to test some 5160!!!

SARKY
09-26-2009, 09:36 PM
By the way, have any of you seen the ColdSteel test DVD? They put some serious hurt on their blades, more than i think i could in even the most desperate of circumstances, they they still hold up pretty good.

tonester
09-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Who is the guy destroying perfectly good knives? I wanna invite 'em over to test some 5160!!!

he actually does test 5160. he does a destruction test on a Ontario Ranger RD7. it did alright. heres his website: knifetests.com

Sourdough
09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
I suppose it serves some purpose. One would hope the manufacturers are doing similar studies on their knives but if they aren't it would be nice to know that product X failed miserably, long before product Y. It could serve as helpful if they were similarly priced or product X was more expensive. While I would never abuse a knife they way they do it is just one more piece of knowledge in making a selection. Not really that much different than the Highway Safety folks crashing cars and then telling us which one protected the occupants the best.

I drought if 99% of hunting/outdoor/survival knives are ever used......ever. Even to cut one sandwich in half. Odd that people are so obsessed with having high quality tools and never get there boots dirty.

Rick
09-27-2009, 11:20 AM
That's probably a valid observation. Personally, I buy things that I can use. Not much value in an item just to look at it unless it's some artsy fartsy stuff.

crashdive123
09-27-2009, 12:02 PM
That's probably a valid observation. Personally, I buy things that I can use. Not much value in an item just to look at it unless it's some artsy fartsy stuff.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7967

pocomoonskyeyes
09-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Cold Steel does abuse their knives to see how much they can take.

crashdive123
09-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Cold Steel does abuse their knives to see how much they can take.

IMO it's more of a marketing thing than a "see how much abuse they can take" thing. Seeing a guy stick a knife between the slats of a vertical wall made of 2X10's and using it as a step to get up on the wall has probably had more people buying the knife because of the coolness factor.

pocomoonskyeyes
09-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I kinda' agree with what you are saying,but seeing the vise trick goes a little overboard for me. I would never do that to a knife, or some of the other things they do.

Rick
10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
High there sjj. How about "splitting" long enough to post an introduction?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7813

dscrick
10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I have to agree with most on this one. It's definitely good to be able to see these blades put through hell before laying out your hard earned greenbacks, but some of the stuff they do is kind of ridiculous. Like the Cold Steel vids where they put the knife in a vise and crank on it to a 90 degree bend. OK, great, but as a true believer in self preservation you won't see me doing that to any knife, it's a darn good way to get the thing stuck in your forehead when it breaks!

Rick
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
You know you were about 20 minutes too late in posting that don't ya'?

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00642/SNN0708AA-384_642711a.jpg

dscrick
10-03-2009, 01:35 PM
yeah I noticed that. Blonde moment